Windows 7 installed at 62.6 GB on my SSD !?!

ziggysthenazz

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hello,
Does anyone know why this happened??? I installed Windows 7 on a brand new SSD and I go into windows explorer and its telling me 48.4 GB free of 111 GB, otherwise known as: Windows 7 and only Windows 7 is taking up 62.6 GB!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if it is your page file remember to leave some, some programs refused to work correctly without it.

I suggest 3 to 4 GB, it's probably taking up closer to 20 to 30 though.

Hibernation is another one that takes up space, however I think it's only as much as you have RAM, so that's currently taking up 8 to 12 GB.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I have 16 GB of RAM and when I reduced the page file to 2 GB and got rid of the hibernation file I recovered around 35 GB. Its something you just don't notice when using the much larger HDD,s especially when running only 4 GB RAM.

Looks like he can have even 24GB of RAM...

ziggysthenazz

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Wow, didn't see all these responses. Thanks everyone.
I'm a little ashamed to admit it because I know its overboard, but I have 32 GB of RAM. I'm an Architecture student doing a lot of 3D modeling and rendering, with a large budget for a home-build (the student loan money is calibrated at macbook pro prices).

My next question is whether it is a good idea to decrease my page file size? I don't really know what this does, and I really don't need the storage space (I have a couple of mirrored HDDs that I will use for bulk storage). I think I would prefer to have the performance for 3D modeling, rendering, and photoshop... What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

I would set it to Min10GB and Max 12GB

3D programs loves the page file and so does the photoshop.

Disable the hibernation and delete the file if u have it enabled!