Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

1500 Euro/1900 Dollar Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 22, 2012 5:10:37 PM
February 23, 2012 1:42:22 PM

Hey,

I'm thinking of building a new PC. Because this one I have is really loud and is kinda outdated.

So my budget is about €1500,- (Euros, Europe)

CPU: i7 2600K - €279,-
SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2 - €144,90
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 - € 99,90
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB - € 499,-
MOBO:
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit - € 41,99
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W - € 159,90
CASE: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl - € 92,90
--------------------+
€1317.59

I'm not sure which Motherboard I should get. I was looking at the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 which is about €150,-. So that makes a total of €1467,59
So, Do you guys think this is a good build. Which is silent, future proof. I really want this PC to be future proof so I don't need to upgrade it in about 1 years. I'll probably get a second HD7970 later.

So, Is this motherboard a good motherboard? I heard it is good for CrossfireX/SLi. And overall. Is this build a good build?

Total cost: €1467,59/$1951,50


Regards,
Brian
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2012 1:45:40 PM

I'mt not too keen on your case choice, and that mobo is fine. You can also opt for a UD5 Gigabyte board, or, if you have the money, a Maximus IV Extreme Z68. It will definitely make the i7 worth its while!
February 23, 2012 1:45:46 PM

Hi Brian, your build is looking good.

For a motherboard, I would go with something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is similar to the one you mentioned, but with crossfire and ivy bridge support.

Because you are in Europe, I don't know if you can buy from newegg, but use it as a reference.
February 23, 2012 1:49:59 PM

I doubt the i7 2600k will ever be more than slightly better than an i5 2500k for gaming, so I would consider saving that money.
I would say the PSU was too big, but I think it fits well with two of the cards.
Good choices. Have you considered a cooler for the CPU? (assuming you will want to overclock either now or later with the one you have chosen)

Also, you really ought to have given this thread a topic, people have to get creative to get in here with nothing to click, and *nothing* is not particularly descriptive.

EDIT: Oh also, about the motherboard, the Asrocks have alot of features for their price but quality seems to be a tad lower than asus/gigabyte. But they seem to be good enough and great value.
Around these parts the Extreme3 is alot cheaper than the 4, so you might consider if you need the difference.
February 23, 2012 1:50:29 PM

newt183 said:
Hi Brian, your build is looking good.

For a motherboard, I would go with something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is similar to the one you mentioned, but with crossfire and ivy bridge support.

Because you are in Europe, I don't know if you can buy from newegg, but use it as a reference.


Yes I can buy this motherboard also in Europe. Is this motherboard better. Since it's a bit cheaper.
February 23, 2012 1:51:40 PM

Unrecognised said:
I'mt not too keen on your case choice, and that mobo is fine. You can also opt for a UD5 Gigabyte board, or, if you have the money, a Maximus IV Extreme Z68. It will definitely make the i7 worth its while!

Which case you do recommend me. I heard the Fractal cases are really quiet because of the materials they use.
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2012 1:52:54 PM

I'd suggest the AS Rock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, which should be a little cheaper.

also, unless you plan to do multiple monitors, or something like a 30" 2560x1440 display, there will be no game that requires *two* 7970s for at least 5 years
February 23, 2012 1:54:43 PM

Quote:
I doubt the i7 2600k will ever be more than slightly better than an i5 2500k for gaming, so I would consider saving that money.
I would say the PSU was too big, but I think it fits well with two of the cards.
Good choices. Have you considered a cooler for the CPU? (assuming you will want to overclock either now or later with the one you have chosen)

Also, you really ought to have given this thread a topic, people have to get creative to get in here with nothing to click, and *nothing* is not particularly descriptive.

EDIT: Oh also, about the motherboard, the Asrocks have alot of features for their price but quality seems to be a tad lower than asus/gigabyte. But they seem to be good enough and great value.
Around these parts the Extreme3 is alot cheaper than the 4, so you might consider if you need the difference.

Okay thanks for your advice.

And yes I know I should add a topic to this thread but it isn't possible. So I've made a new thread. I don't know what it is. But I can't edit my post I can only quick edit them..
Weird, huh? :/ 
February 23, 2012 1:56:56 PM

I suspect you are underastimating years a bit there Sqrl. *stares at disfunct 4 year old 9800 GTX*

But yes, two of the things are not relevant for a long time. And top end cards have a tendency to forget to drop in price (and power use/heat) making them a bit unrelevant for SLI 3 years later.

EDIT: That is wierd, I have had that problem for a long time myself :3
February 23, 2012 2:00:56 PM

Quote:
I suspect you are underastimating years a bit there Sqrl. *stares at disfunct 4 year old 9800 GTX*

But yes, two of the things are not relevant for a long time. And top end cards have a tendency to forget to drop in price (and power use/heat) making them a bit unrelevant for SLI 3 years later.

EDIT: That is wierd, I have had that problem for a long time myself :3


Lol, my friends pentium D and 9800gtx+ still going (somewhat) strong.
February 23, 2012 2:03:36 PM

Other than it being quiet, it's not too much show for my liking, though, it depends what you like. I would have recommended a 650D or 600T Corsair, though, difficult to find around 100 Euro. They do come with windowed side panels, unlike the Fractal.
February 23, 2012 2:05:36 PM

I suspect I would still use the GTX if it hadn't died on me. I replaced it with this 5770 which is only around 10% stronger.

Come to think of it, I didn't have the best of PSU's back then, And I have this sneaking suspicion that the card might be fine. I wonder how much it would be worth now. I definatly do not play enough games with physX that I want to add it just for that >.>
February 23, 2012 2:06:11 PM

Unrecognised said:
Other than it being quiet, it's not too much show for my liking, though, it depends what you like. I would have recommended a 650D or 600T Corsair, though, difficult to find around 100 Euro. They do come with windowed side panels, unlike the Fractal.


^ Yes, corsair cases are great too. Take those into consideration for sure.
February 23, 2012 2:38:29 PM

Should I also get a CPU cooler for my CPU?
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2012 3:50:17 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Wanna build a new PC
  • ‚
    February 23, 2012 3:51:35 PM

    newt183 said:
    If you intend to overclock, yes.

    I recommend something like this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

    You could get to 4.4 ghz easy with that.

    Okay I'll get that too than.

    So my total build is now:

    CPU: i7 2600K - €279,-
    CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO - €30,-
    SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2 - €144,90
    HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 - € 99,90
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB - € 499,-
    MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 - €120,-
    RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit - € 41,99
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W - € 159,90
    CASE: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl - € 92,90 - Not sure yet if I should get this case. Maybe I should get another one.

    Total: €1468
    + Windows 7
    February 23, 2012 4:04:33 PM

    I would wait for Kepler for sure. But who knows how long would that be...cool build have fun
    February 23, 2012 4:09:41 PM

    maxinexus said:
    I would wait for Kepler for sure. But who knows how long would that be...cool build have fun

    Yea. I'm not gonna buy these parts anytime soon. Probably by the mid/end of the year. When will those new 'Kepler' cards arrive? Q1 2012 right?
    February 25, 2012 7:09:30 PM

    Hey,

    So I'm going for the i5 2500K now instead of the i7 2600K. This will save me €80 which I'm gonna invest in another bad-ass case (Corsair 600T Special Edition)
    But my question is. Is a 800 wattage power supply enough for CrossFireX HD 7970? Some people say HD 7970 will use 249W at full load. So ~500W for CrossFireX right?
    I've tried to find a Power Supply calculator but I couldn't find one on the internet. So I thought. Let's ask the awesome people at Tomshardware :)  - So. Should 800W (Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W) be enough for:

    CPU: i5 2500K
    CPU COOLER: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
    SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2
    HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB (2x)
    MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155
    RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
    February 26, 2012 9:17:58 AM

    http://www.webpronews.com/nvidia-kepler-cards-rumor-201...

    if this information is true... then we might have kepler just around the corner.... we're heading into march... just closer and closer..... you can just buy pretty much everything else but the graphics card.... hopefully the release of kepler can drive prices down so for anyone who wants to get their hands on amd gpu can save some money...

    as for cases i'm pretty recommend this one...

    http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-550d-mid-tower-q...

    has dust filter at front, side and top fan mount... and it also has sound dampening cover which is removable on front, side and top wherever the fan mount is filled with fan.... the best case in terms of features in my opinion....
    February 26, 2012 9:24:27 AM

    phenom90 said:
    http://www.webpronews.com/nvidia-kepler-cards-rumor-201...

    if this information is true... then we might have kepler just around the corner.... we're heading into march... just closer and closer..... you can just buy pretty much everything else but the graphics card.... hopefully the release of kepler can drive prices down so for anyone who wants to get their hands on amd gpu can save some money...

    as for cases i'm pretty recommend this one...

    http://www.corsair.com/obsidian-series-550d-mid-tower-q...

    has dust filter at front, side and top fan mount... and it also has sound dampening cover which is removable on front, side and top wherever the fan mount is filled with fan.... the best case in terms of features in my opinion....

    Yea. I was looking at a Corsair Case (Corsair 600T) But since the left side of my PC is facing the wall. I don't know if I should get that case (because the window is on the left side and I'm not sure if you can change that so the window will be on the right side)
    February 26, 2012 9:47:20 PM

    Firewood B B said:
    Yea. I was looking at a Corsair Case (Corsair 600T) But since the left side of my PC is facing the wall. I don't know if I should get that case (because the window is on the left side and I'm not sure if you can change that so the window will be on the right side)


    it doesn't have the window on the left side... just fan mount with dust filter and removable sound dampening cover.... if your pc facing the left wall.... then you can choose not to use the fan mount on the left side and keep the sound dampening cover on... use your front and top fan mount instead....
    !