Hi-grade connectors worth it?

I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance the
quality of the picture?
The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?
10 answers Last reply
More about grade connectors worth

    Anne Cramer wrote:
    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if
    > people find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells
    > really enhance the quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    Don't buy anything made by Monster.

    Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > Anne Cramer wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if
    >>people find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells
    >>really enhance the quality of the picture?
    >>The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?
    >

    > Don't buy anything made by Monster.

    Second that!!! Use the best connection your Tv allows, both sound and
    picture, and go with the cheaper options out there. A cable is a cable
    pretty much. Using the best connections will make a big difference over
    the regular old RCA plugs (the red/yellow/white.) Use S video or
    Component connection if you have those, component being THE best option.
    You can also find the stuff you are looking for MUCH cheaper than at EB.
    Check at a Walmart or a Best Buy or Circuit City. And once more NEVER
    EVER buy the overpriced Monster brand stuff!!! If you look around online
    you can find it even cheaper than those places if don't mind shopping
    online. somewhere like shopzilla.com should give you good results.

    Most would agree that Monster brand is not worth the extra money. You can
    find out much more on the subject at www.hdtvarcade.com Many people there
    willing to give you advice on big screen gaming!

    "Anne Cramer" <anne_cramer@nospam.home.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
    > find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance
    > the
    > quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    "Anne Cramer" <anne_cramer@nospam.home.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
    > find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance
    > the
    > quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    Quality connectors will make a difference, but quality doesn't always mean
    expensive. Monster cables for instance are all hype. I use
    BlueJeansCables.com very good stuff at a good price.

    - Cryo

    "Anne Cramer" <anne_cramer@nospam.home.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
    > find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance
    > the
    > quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    It really depends on what your "quality big-screen" can do
    does it have component inputs? If so, consider cables...

    "Anne Cramer" <anne_cramer@nospam.home.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
    > find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance
    the
    > quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    Just pick up the MS Hi-Def pack and you're good to go.
    Don't get caught up in the hype (total waste of money bullshit) with high
    priced cables.
    They make ZERO difference in picture quality

    Nope.

    And avoid Monster Cable at all costs.

    "Large Farva" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Nope.
    >
    > And avoid Monster Cable at all costs.

    I wouldn't say all cost.
    I picked up a pair of previously owned monster component cables (XBox) for
    $15 bucks.
    For that price they are well worth it. Monster makes a fine product (good
    build quality), but I would never pay their suggested retail price for them.

    >Just pick up the MS Hi-Def pack and you're good to go.

    I second that. Looks great on my 65" HDTV.

    "Anne Cramer" <anne_cramer@nospam.home.com> wrote

    > I've got a quality big-screen TV for my xbox - so I'm wondering if people
    > find buying the high-end pricey connectors that EB sells really enhance
    the
    > quality of the picture?
    > The new connectors cost almost as much as a new game. Is it worth it?

    Not worth it at all. Just get Microsoft (or, hell, even Mad Catz's) cables
    for whatever the best input for this TV is.

    Is it an HDTV? If so, the Microsoft HDAV Pack will work just fine. No need
    to replace the component cables that come with it. Even Mad Catz's $10
    XBox/PS2 combination component cables work just fine. I used that
    particular $10 set of cables to be able to have both XBox and PS2 hooked up
    to same component port on my HDTV without having to change cables. I've
    since went to using the Microsoft HDAV Pack with XBox (not for "better"
    video, as I note no difference in PQ between the Mad Catz cable and MS HDAV
    Pack) but to be able to get digital audio out for my DD5.1 receiver.

    Even if the TV isn't HD, but still has component inputs for 480-progressive
    resolution, the Microsoft HDAV Pack will definetly be worth it. If it isn't
    capable of 480p, yet does have component inputs (there are a few strange
    animals out there), you probably won't see much of a difference between
    S-Video and Component Video with 480-interlace.

    The main improvement with 480-progressive over 480-interlaced (at least to
    my eyeballs) is that onscreen text becomes vivid and well defined. All of
    the "artificating" around text is virtually eliminated with 480p. With
    DVD's, I can usually tell right away if the output is 480i or 480p from
    looking at the "FBI Warning" screen.

    If this is an HDTV, you'll probably be considering HDMI/DVI for your
    cable/satellite/HD OTA/ect STB soon as well. Everyone with an HDTV can't
    help but looking at that HDMI (or DVI) port and irresistibly want to put it
    to some use. Its natural -- and the mortar and brick retail stores know
    this. HDMI/DVI is even a bigger markup scam than component cables at retail
    stores, including Radio Shack -- but you can find such cables for less than
    $10 online (http://www.monoprice.com). I bought my DVI-HDMI cable from
    there for $9 and it works just fine. As for PQ, I found using HDMI to be a
    slight improvement against artificating over component for 720p and 1080i,
    however found the contrast be slightly less "rich" than component. Going to
    HDMI for the cable HD STB did free up one set of component inputs though, so
    that was an advantage.

    Cheers!

Console Gaming Games Video Xbox Video Games