Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Getting Error on Boot

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 2:43:29 PM

Hey all, I recently bought a new computer through both tigerdirect and NewEgg. I was at first having problems getting video but found out it was a memory problem. I now receieve an error during start up. I get no beeps from my motherboard, and all I get is a black screen with A3 or A2 (varies) in the bottom right hand corner. I noticed that sometimes it goes from 99, 98, A2 then A3, or something along those lines. After waiting a minute or two, the computer attempts to proceed, sometimes receiving a windows startup error (my HDD has win7 on it from my old PC), or going to the motherboard setup program. Any ideas what this may be? I have read that it may be my video card or a sata error, but I have changed the sata connections, tried different sata ports, tried a different cord to power my GPU, all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am without a computer for a week now and it is essential to my classwork.

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45
CPU: AMD FX4100 3.6Ghz Quad Core
RAM: 2x4GB GSkill
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 Ultra Durable VGA Series
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W

More about : build error boot

February 23, 2012 3:05:40 PM

jrodfosheez said:
Hey all, I recently bought a new computer through both tigerdirect and NewEgg. I was at first having problems getting video but found out it was a memory problem. I now receieve an error during start up. I get no beeps from my motherboard, and all I get is a black screen with A3 or A2 (varies) in the bottom right hand corner. I noticed that sometimes it goes from 99, 98, A2 then A3, or something along those lines. After waiting a minute or two, the computer attempts to proceed, sometimes receiving a windows startup error (my HDD has win7 on it from my old PC), or going to the motherboard setup program. Any ideas what this may be? I have read that it may be my video card or a sata error, but I have changed the sata connections, tried different sata ports, tried a different cord to power my GPU, all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I am without a computer for a week now and it is essential to my classwork.

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45
CPU: AMD FX4100 3.6Ghz Quad Core
RAM: 2x4GB GSkill
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 Ultra Durable VGA Series
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 600W

Need more information here...

You mentioned you are using the Windows installation from your previous build, what hardware has changed in this build and what has it changed from?

What USB devices do you have connected? (On a cold boot if you have a USB HDD connected it will cause a hang while the drive spins up; This happens on BIOS splash and Windows loading screens)

What is the error windows is giving you, and are you able to boot to windows at all?

What, if any, other SATA devices do you have connected?

What mode do you have your SATA HDD in? (IDE, AHCI, RAID)

What settings have you changed in BIOS and are you sure you have the boot order correct?

Some general tips are:
-Ensure you have the internal speaker connected properly
-Reset the BIOS to defaults
-Reseat the RAM, CPU, GPU
-Try using RAM in other slots
-Reset CMOS
-Strip it down to only the essentials and troubleshoot based on that

The more information you provide the more help I can give you.... what you have listed so far is a bit vague.

Related resources
March 26, 2014 8:12:22 AM

I too am getting the same problem. I kept getting a missing operating system error when I tried to boot my pc up. I removed one of my flash drives and my pc booted up but not properly. The only thing I have done that I can think of before it started acting funny was installing a new video card driver today and restarted my pc. Since then it has been taking a really long time to boot up. It stays on the all black screen with the little A3 sign in the bottom right. I used to have like a 15-20 second boot time and now it's almost 15 mins. Is there a way I can undo my video card update to see if that fixes the problem?
April 10, 2014 12:53:45 PM

I am having the exact same problem after I flashed bios from 1.19 to 4.3. I really hope someone can help...
!