Sign in with
Your question

Logitech Z-550 - Rear right speaker pops loudly, kills sound

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2012 2:44:07 AM

I've got a set of 5.1 Logitech Z-550 speakers. What happens is the back right speaker in my setup will suddenly, without any warning, start popping loudly when I have sound going. First it'll pop once, then there's a short delay. Next the popping gets louder and more frequent, and eventually, the speaker will pop about 20 times rapidly before all the speakers go dead and the sound stops completely.

The control pod stays on, but there's no sound. Turning off everything from the subwoofer, waiting a little, and turning the sub and the control pod back on will temporarily fix the problem.

This first happened a few months ago, and I kept the sub off for about two weeks before deciding to turn it on again. The speakers all worked and the problem went away until now. Now I can't keep the speakers on for a minute before the back right speaker pops and forces the sound off.

Does anyone know what it could be? I've isolated it to that speaker, and I've rechecked all of the wires multiple times. I believe I have the latest drivers but I feel that this is likely a hardware problem, I just don't know what it could be.

New: Ok, something interesting I've noted. If I have headphones on, the audio will stop, but without the popping. Could this mean it's not an issue with the speaker, and possibly with the sound card or driver?

I really appreciate any help.
June 11, 2012 4:47:00 AM

I have the Z-5500 & it looks exactly the same as the Logitech Z-550. I wonder why the name changed to Z-550.

Anyway, what input port is active when the popping sound appears? Is it on the 6-Direct or any of the digital ones ( optical or coax)?
m
l
June 11, 2012 12:21:10 PM

randomkid said:
I have the Z-5500 & it looks exactly the same as the Logitech Z-550. I wonder why the name changed to Z-550.

Anyway, what input port is active when the popping sound appears? Is it on the 6-Direct or any of the digital ones ( optical or coax)?

Hah, actually, looks like I'm just an idiot who forgot the last zero. It's the Z-5500.

Looks like the input is 6-Ch Direct.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 1:10:30 PM

crosscut49 said:
Hah, actually, looks like I'm just an idiot who forgot the last zero. It's the Z-5500.

Looks like the input is 6-Ch Direct.

Actually google return some sites which named it Z-550 too. So I wondered. Anyway, what happens if you set the input to optical or coaxial ( if you motherboard support it)?

m
l
June 11, 2012 1:16:22 PM

ive got Logitech X-530 5.1 and i also have weird popping or crackling noises everytime a appliance or light is switched on and off in the house. So it could be electrical interference as well for you guys. It seem the new Logitech sound products arent shielded very well : (
m
l
June 11, 2012 1:33:43 PM

Cromat88 said:
ive got Logitech X-530 5.1 and i also have weird popping or crackling noises everytime a appliance or light is switched on and off in the house. So it could be electrical interference as well for you guys. It seem the new Logitech sound products arent shielded very well : (

Too bad.

But at least the Z-5500 is well shielded. I got one myself & does not have this popping or crackling noise even if I switch on any appliance including microwave & air conditioners.
m
l
June 11, 2012 2:00:09 PM

sorry forgot to add this..... I recently moved into a new house and thats when the problem popped up so i am starting to think there is something wrong with voltage which runs to my plugs so i might need to get a electrician to come have a look. and see if the voltage can be regulated properly
m
l
June 12, 2012 1:12:48 AM

randomkid said:
Actually google return some sites which named it Z-550 too. So I wondered. Anyway, what happens if you set the input to optical or coaxial ( if you motherboard support it)?

Not sure if it changes anything considering my sound doesn't work at all anymore. But if I have to go off of memory, I don't think either of those options have ever worked.
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:36:53 AM

What about if you try a simple MP3 player as input to your Z-5500? Still no sound?
m
l
June 12, 2012 9:43:40 AM

lol np dude and thanks
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:19:37 PM

Ok, well, anyone else have any advice? :p 

Don't think it's the voltages because this is only a recent problem, and I've had these speakers for over 10 years now.
m
l
June 15, 2012 3:32:56 PM

wow! 10 years? So even if it is starting to fail, it should be worth it. :)  So I got mine in 2008... looking forward to using it for another 6 years I hope.

I did suggest to try other input device like an MP3 player or something...
m
l
!