  • Xbox
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 11:08:43 AM

Our xbox is about 2 years old. Today when I started it up I noticed
that it was making a lot of noise. Sounds like the noise your pc
makes when the cpu fan or the power supply fan is going out. As
anyone ever replaced these fans on their own?

I asked a guy about this tonight on xbox live and he said his did the
same thing. He took it to gamestop and they gave him $80.00 for it
and he bought a new one. He said the newer games run better on it
than did on the hold one. I don't know if this is true or not?

Also if I did buy a new xbox, how would you get your xbox live account
setup on it? Also how would you delete it from your old machine?

Thanks in advance.

gametag: n8rtw

More about : xbox questions

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:08:44 AM

"Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC" <millerj@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Our xbox is about 2 years old. Today when I started it up I noticed
> that it was making a lot of noise. Sounds like the noise your pc
> makes when the cpu fan or the power supply fan is going out. As
> anyone ever replaced these fans on their own?
>
> I asked a guy about this tonight on xbox live and he said his did the
> same thing. He took it to gamestop and they gave him $80.00 for it
> and he bought a new one. He said the newer games run better on it
> than did on the hold one. I don't know if this is true or not?
>
> Also if I did buy a new xbox, how would you get your xbox live account
> setup on it? Also how would you delete it from your old machine?

The only thing I can think of that would make a newer X-Box run better would
be the newer DVD-drive. An older hammered one might take longer to load
data...

I have replaced the fan in my X-Box. I put in a speed-adjustable enermax
80mm fan. You can piggy-back it off the HD power or use the same plug as the
old fan. The only downside to this is you need to trim the fan and the
inside of the X-Box case to make it fit. I even stuck a heat-sink on the
video chip :)  The thing usually runs at 45c now, and never exceed 50c even
after hours of play in the heat of summer...

To replace your fan with another X-Box fan (weird 70mm size) you'd need to
order one from a replacement parts place like Llamma.com...

- Cryo
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:19:43 PM

Thanks for the response and the tips. Do you happen to know the make
model numbers of both fans inside the box? I will just replace them
both.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:31:20 -0700, "Cryofax"
<ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com> wrote:

>"Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC" <millerj@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Our xbox is about 2 years old. Today when I started it up I noticed
>> that it was making a lot of noise. Sounds like the noise your pc
>> makes when the cpu fan or the power supply fan is going out. As
>> anyone ever replaced these fans on their own?
>>
>> I asked a guy about this tonight on xbox live and he said his did the
>> same thing. He took it to gamestop and they gave him $80.00 for it
>> and he bought a new one. He said the newer games run better on it
>> than did on the hold one. I don't know if this is true or not?
>>
>> Also if I did buy a new xbox, how would you get your xbox live account
>> setup on it? Also how would you delete it from your old machine?
>
>The only thing I can think of that would make a newer X-Box run better would
>be the newer DVD-drive. An older hammered one might take longer to load
>data...
>
>I have replaced the fan in my X-Box. I put in a speed-adjustable enermax
>80mm fan. You can piggy-back it off the HD power or use the same plug as the
>old fan. The only downside to this is you need to trim the fan and the
>inside of the X-Box case to make it fit. I even stuck a heat-sink on the
>video chip :)  The thing usually runs at 45c now, and never exceed 50c even
>after hours of play in the heat of summer...
>
>To replace your fan with another X-Box fan (weird 70mm size) you'd need to
>order one from a replacement parts place like Llamma.com...
>
>- Cryo

February 14, 2005 3:19:44 PM

> Thanks for the response and the tips. Do you happen to know the make
> model numbers of both fans inside the box? I will just replace them
> both.

Mine is a 1.5 so it only has 1 fan (exhaust). The CPU just has a giant
heatsink and the video chip had none (so I added one myself). Try searching
google for "xbox replacement fan". If you don't want to modify your case/fan
to fit in a 80mm fan then buy a 70mm one. They are less common but you can
buy them online.

Or as suggested by others save yourself the trouble and trade in your box
and get a newer one. If you're not going to mod it then this is the route I
would definately take.

- Cryo
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:01:42 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Yov wovld delete yovr accovnt jvst like a game save. Newer Xboxes have an
Xbox Live option in the dashboard vnlike the old ones that reqvired a disc
to load it into the system. Click on Xbox Live and continve throvgh the
menvs vntil yov get to Accovnt Recovery. Click on that and follow the
prompts. It's probably jvst entering the last fovr digits of yovr CC and
verifying some information. Althovgh I have never tried it bvt it seems
simple enovgh. Dovble-check this by going to Xbox.com or calling
1-800-4MY-XBOX. Keep in mind that althovgh yov svspect yovr fan it covld be
yovr DVD drive becavse those do go. As cheap as Xboxes are today I wovld
jvst trade mine in for a bvndle pack that comes with a covple games, then
sell those games on Ebay (if yov don't want them) to help redvce the cost of
the bvndle pack. Good lvck.

--
ItsKanetastic29 (formerly Union Kane)
"Pavl Tvtle Sr. - OCC" <millerj@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ovr xbox is abovt 2 years old. Today when I started it vp I noticed
> that it was making a lot of noise. Sovnds like the noise yovr pc
> makes when the cpv fan or the power svpply fan is going ovt. As
> anyone ever replaced these fans on their own?
>
> I asked a gvy abovt this tonight on xbox live and he said his did the
> same thing. He took it to gamestop and they gave him $80.00 for it
> and he bovght a new one. He said the newer games rvn better on it
> than did on the hold one. I don't know if this is trve or not?
>
> Also if I did bvy a new xbox, how wovld yov get yovr xbox live accovnt
> setvp on it? Also how wovld yov delete it from yovr old machine?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> gametag: n8rtw
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:15:46 PM

"Cryofax" <ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Paul Tutle Sr. - OCC" <millerj@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Our xbox is about 2 years old. Today when I started it up I noticed
> > that it was making a lot of noise. Sounds like the noise your pc
> > makes when the cpu fan or the power supply fan is going out. As
> > anyone ever replaced these fans on their own?
> >
> > I asked a guy about this tonight on xbox live and he said his did the
> > same thing. He took it to gamestop and they gave him $80.00 for it
> > and he bought a new one. He said the newer games run better on it
> > than did on the hold one. I don't know if this is true or not?
> >
> > Also if I did buy a new xbox, how would you get your xbox live account
> > setup on it? Also how would you delete it from your old machine?
>
> The only thing I can think of that would make a newer X-Box run better
would
> be the newer DVD-drive. An older hammered one might take longer to load
> data...

actually the newer xbox (v1.6) is a little faster! it also has just 1 fan
instead of the
older one`s having 2 fans! (no fan on the gfx heatsink!) any xbox you buy
today should be
a v1.6...

Jan
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:15:47 PM

"Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de> wrote in message

> "Cryofax" <ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> The only thing I can think of that would make a newer X-Box run better
>> would be the newer DVD-drive. An older hammered one might take longer to
>> load
>> data...
>>

> actually the newer xbox (v1.6) is a little faster!

Please post a link to where you got this info. Thanks!

- Cryo
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:38:21 AM

Cryofax wrote:
> "Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de> wrote in message
>
>>"Cryofax" <ThrowPoopt@YourFace.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>>The only thing I can think of that would make a newer X-Box run better
>>>would be the newer DVD-drive. An older hammered one might take longer to
>>>load
>>>data...
>>>

>>actually the newer xbox (v1.6) is a little faster!
>

> Please post a link to where you got this info. Thanks!

well, i just can tell by experience. heavy scenes in halo2
for example run smoother than on a friend`s "old" xbox.

also the guy who i bought mine from (and who modded it)
talked about the 1.6 xbox having about 10% faster graphics
chip than older ones. he does this professionally - not just
some
"pal" who wants to brag ^_^
my 1.6 also has a philips drive so i can read ANY cd-r, dvd,
etc. unlike the old ones which only read dvd-r i think and
NO self-burned cds whatsoever.
i`m very happy with my modded box. i hardly ever use it for
games - lol ^_^

Jan
February 15, 2005 6:09:40 PM

Jan Gruetz wrote:
> Cryofax wrote:
>
>> "Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de> wrote in message

>>> actually the newer xbox (v1.6) is a little faster!
>>

>> Please post a link to where you got this info. Thanks!
>>

> well, i just can tell by experience. heavy scenes in halo2 for example
> run smoother than on a friend`s "old" xbox.
>
> also the guy who i bought mine from (and who modded it)
> talked about the 1.6 xbox having about 10% faster graphics chip than
> older ones. he does this professionally - not just some
> "pal" who wants to brag ^_^
> my 1.6 also has a philips drive so i can read ANY cd-r, dvd, etc. unlike
> the old ones which only read dvd-r i think and NO self-burned cds
> whatsoever.
> i`m very happy with my modded box. i hardly ever use it for games - lol ^_^
>
> Jan

Could be any number of factors though, not that the newer box is
necessarily faster but that maybe the older box had gotten slower (dirty
DVD-ROM) or maybe was running hotter due to constant play when
"subjective" benchmark was done.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:09:41 PM

"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Jan Gruetz wrote:
>> Cryofax wrote:
>>
>>> "Jan Gruetz" <jgfornews@epost.de> wrote in message

>>> Please post a link to where you got this info. Thanks!
>>>

>> well, i just can tell by experience. heavy scenes in halo2 for example
>> run smoother than on a friend`s "old" xbox.
>>
>> also the guy who i bought mine from (and who modded it)
>> talked about the 1.6 xbox having about 10% faster graphics chip than
>> older ones. he does this professionally - not just some
>> "pal" who wants to brag ^_^
>> my 1.6 also has a philips drive so i can read ANY cd-r, dvd, etc. unlike
>> the old ones which only read dvd-r i think and NO self-burned cds
>> whatsoever.
>> i`m very happy with my modded box. i hardly ever use it for games - lol
>> ^_^
>>
>> Jan
>

> Could be any number of factors though, not that the newer box is
> necessarily faster but that maybe the older box had gotten slower (dirty
> DVD-ROM) or maybe was running hotter due to constant play when
> "subjective" benchmark was done.

Exactly. This is why I asked for a link. It is possible that with newer
boxes a few components were updated, maybe faster nanosecond memory, or
higher clock graphics chip etc but in order for a game to run clunky on one
box, and smooth on another, the "faster" box would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY
faster. You don't go from 15fps to 30fps with 10% speedup. And since its
obvious no properly controlled tests were conducted I find the assertion
that the 1.6 is faster to be more heresay than fact. Especially considering
there are a lot more <1.6 boxes out there and they aren't going to release
games that don't run properly on those.

- Cryo
February 17, 2005 4:49:02 AM

Cryofax wrote:
> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Jan Gruetz wrote:

>>>well, i just can tell by experience. heavy scenes in halo2 for example
>>>run smoother than on a friend`s "old" xbox.
>>>
>>>also the guy who i bought mine from (and who modded it)
>>>talked about the 1.6 xbox having about 10% faster graphics chip than
>>>older ones. he does this professionally - not just some
>>>"pal" who wants to brag ^_^
>>>my 1.6 also has a philips drive so i can read ANY cd-r, dvd, etc. unlike
>>>the old ones which only read dvd-r i think and NO self-burned cds
>>>whatsoever.
>>>i`m very happy with my modded box. i hardly ever use it for games - lol
>>>^_^
>>>
>>>Jan
>>

>>Could be any number of factors though, not that the newer box is
>>necessarily faster but that maybe the older box had gotten slower (dirty
>>DVD-ROM) or maybe was running hotter due to constant play when
>>"subjective" benchmark was done.
>

> Exactly. This is why I asked for a link. It is possible that with newer
> boxes a few components were updated, maybe faster nanosecond memory, or
> higher clock graphics chip etc but in order for a game to run clunky on one
> box, and smooth on another, the "faster" box would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY
> faster. You don't go from 15fps to 30fps with 10% speedup. And since its
> obvious no properly controlled tests were conducted I find the assertion
> that the 1.6 is faster to be more heresay than fact. Especially considering
> there are a lot more <1.6 boxes out there and they aren't going to release
> games that don't run properly on those.
>
> - Cryo

samsung,hynix,
tomatO,toma-toe....

Agreed... the OP is full of it. Unless of course he swapped out that
733mhz with a 1.4 and slapped another 64 megs in the box which is
possible. Less slowdown on graphic intensive scenes, I'm sure. But alas,
no real graphical options via the game menus. Perhaps in the future,
portable PCI express graphics will be incorporated into the console
market, whereby one could simply spend a few extra bucks on a GPU
upgrade or the like via cardbus...Wouldn't that be sweet?
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:49:03 AM

> Cryofax wrote:
>> "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>Could be any number of factors though, not that the newer box is
>>>necessarily faster but that maybe the older box had gotten slower
>>>(dirty DVD-ROM) or maybe was running hotter due to constant play when
>>>"subjective" benchmark was done.
>>

>> Exactly. This is why I asked for a link. It is possible that with
>> newer boxes a few components were updated, maybe faster nanosecond
>> memory, or higher clock graphics chip etc but in order for a game to
>> run clunky on one box, and smooth on another, the "faster" box would
>> have to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster. You don't go from 15fps to 30fps
>> with 10% speedup. And since its obvious no properly controlled tests
>> were conducted I find the assertion that the 1.6 is faster to be more
>> heresay than fact. Especially considering there are a lot more <1.6
>> boxes out there and they aren't going to release games that don't run
>> properly on those.
>>
>> - Cryo
>>

> samsung,hynix,
> tomatO,toma-toe....
>
> Agreed... the OP is full of it. Unless of course he swapped out that
> 733mhz with a 1.4 and slapped another 64 megs in the box which is
> possible. Less slowdown on graphic intensive scenes, I'm sure. But
> alas, no real graphical options via the game menus. Perhaps in the
> future, portable PCI express graphics will be incorporated into the
> console market, whereby one could simply spend a few extra bucks on a
> GPU upgrade or the like via cardbus...Wouldn't that be sweet?

No. Then games would have to be written for two (or more)
configurations.
February 17, 2005 6:44:21 AM

TheLightsAreOn wrote:
>>Cryofax wrote:
>>
>>>"theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>Exactly. This is why I asked for a link. It is possible that with
>>>newer boxes a few components were updated, maybe faster nanosecond
>>>memory, or higher clock graphics chip etc but in order for a game to
>>>run clunky on one box, and smooth on another, the "faster" box would
>>>have to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster. You don't go from 15fps to 30fps
>>>with 10% speedup. And since its obvious no properly controlled tests
>>>were conducted I find the assertion that the 1.6 is faster to be more
>>>heresay than fact. Especially considering there are a lot more <1.6
>>>boxes out there and they aren't going to release games that don't run
>>>properly on those.
>>>
>>>- Cryo
>>>

>>samsung,hynix,
>>tomatO,toma-toe....
>>
>>Agreed... the OP is full of it. Unless of course he swapped out that
>>733mhz with a 1.4 and slapped another 64 megs in the box which is
>>possible. Less slowdown on graphic intensive scenes, I'm sure. But
>>alas, no real graphical options via the game menus. Perhaps in the
>>future, portable PCI express graphics will be incorporated into the
>>console market, whereby one could simply spend a few extra bucks on a
>>GPU upgrade or the like via cardbus...Wouldn't that be sweet?
>>

> No. Then games would have to be written for two (or more)
> configurations.

Big deal! PCs has been doing this for years for a huge amount of
configurations no less.....It would be cool for people willing to invest
a little extra dough for a little more asethetic goodness, not too
mention increasing the lifespan of the console. I'd drop the cash as I'm
sure many others would too...
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:13:06 PM

> > No. Then games would have to be written for two (or more)
> > configurations.
>
> Big deal! PCs has been doing this for years for a huge amount of
> configurations no less.....

So then go out and buy yourself a gaming PC and pretend that it's a console.
Problem solved.

> It would be cool for people willing to invest
> a little extra dough for a little more asethetic goodness, not too
> mention increasing the lifespan of the console. I'd drop the cash as I'm
> sure many others would too...

Except that in the past, they haven't.

Consoles have a closed architecture for a reason. Add-ons for consoles have
always been a failure. Internal upgrades would be an absolute train wreck.
!