Sign in with
Your question

Educate me on 802.11 a/b/g/n differences?

Last response: in Networking
March 12, 2011 4:39:34 AM

Hey guys. I'd like to learn about the differences between the a/b/g/n protocols. First of all, are they all different protocols, or is the protocol all the same being 802.11

and what is a protocol?

So what I would like to know is advantages and uses of all, the year they came out, the purpose, basically just about everything you know about the differences

Id love to learn more on these, if you guys pick out important details and explain them in your own way it'd be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
Anonymous
March 12, 2011 10:38:11 AM

Go to www.wikipedia.com and do your homework there.
March 12, 2011 2:47:18 PM

Anyone who would actually like to help me out is still welcome to answer
Related resources
March 12, 2011 3:04:58 PM

LOL
March 12, 2011 9:56:52 PM

reaper2794 said:
Hey guys. I'd like to learn about the differences between the a/b/g/n protocols. First of all, are they all different protocols, or is the protocol all the same being 802.11

and what is a protocol?

So what I would like to know is advantages and uses of all, the year they came out, the purpose, basically just about everything you know about the differences

Id love to learn more on these, if you guys pick out important details and explain them in your own way it'd be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

802.11A is 54Mega bits per second runs on the 5GHZ Spectrum Had Problems in terms of range Expensive!

802.11B is 11Mega bits per second runs on the 2.4GHZ Spectrum Was more popular slower-more range not that impressive!

802.11G is 54/108 Mega bits per second runs on the 2.4GHZ Spectrum better range and bandwith than 802.11A seemed like the format that knocked out Wireless A vs Wireless B!

802.11N is 150/600 Megabits per second runs on the 2.4GHZ-3.0GHZ and sometimes Combined with 5.0GHZ wireless A, Is the newest replacement to the 802.11 Standars with longer range and MIMO(Multiple Inputs Multiple Outputs) send and Recieves at the same time! 3 Antennaes are the Standard on top of the line Routers!

Protocol are algorithms that let 2 computers hook up-negotiate and link up to exchange information! TCP/IP is the most common used to access the internet! IPX/SPX is another protocol used that seems more secure in terms of serial bit packet exchange sequentially but not as fast as TCP/IP! Apple Talk is another protocol, and Enhanced NETBios is one limited to LAN Networks mostly gaming and 250 nodes for faster performance but can't access the internet! Hope this Helps!
March 13, 2011 12:49:19 AM

Good answer.

One very important thing to note with wireless transmission is that both the AP or Router will check that the quality of the link with the other device (your PC or laptop) is sound enough to support the highest transmission speed supported by both devices.

If the quality of the signal drops the AP or router will drop transmission speed dynamically to compensate.

My advice is to ensure you have good signal strength by ensuring the AP or Router has a good antenna.

I bought some better ones for my PC's ... had no trouble since.

Hope this helps.
March 13, 2011 7:19:11 AM

Reynod said:
Good answer.

One very important thing to note with wireless transmission is that both the AP or Router will check that the quality of the link with the other device (your PC or laptop) is sound enough to support the highest transmission speed supported by both devices.

If the quality of the signal drops the AP or router will drop transmission speed dynamically to compensate.

My advice is to ensure you have good signal strength by ensuring the AP or Router has a good antenna.

I bought some better ones for my PC's ... had no trouble since.

Hope this helps.

I usually go with a Major name brand to ensure good quality transmissions a brand that is reliable and well known! I like D-Link/Belkin/3Com/XinCom
March 15, 2011 7:01:48 PM

reaper2794 said:

and what is a protocol?

Thank you for your time!

http://www.wirevolution.com/2007/0 [...] o-600mbps/

Good Detailed Summary of how Wireless-N gets its bandwith!
March 16, 2011 3:05:00 AM

I would like to state, with my large computer background, that GunBladeType-T did an excellent job summarizing.
March 20, 2011 1:10:26 AM

Thank you all for replying, this is NOT a homework question, I wrote them real fast and I know they sound all scattered, I was in a rush so I apologize for that. Will be reading up on the links provided.
!