If you were waiting for Kepler what would you get in the meantime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm completely lost and confused. I don't know what to get? I was all excited to hear about the AMDs new card but the price is a turnoff. Part of me is beginning to look the other way; Nvidia. I hear good things about PhysX/Cuda, the better drivers, and SLI is better than CF. If I were to come back to Nvidia (been 10 yrs), should I get a 560ti (448), 570, or 580 (1.5GB). Whatever I would get, I would resell it on Amazon for a Kepler. The reason why I can't wait till 2nd Quarter 2012 is because I have all my parts except a SSD (just made up my mind; Im going to get the Samsung 830 128GB); only hang up is a video card.

Solution
Why not just purchase a gtx 570 from evga now and using their trade in offer, pay the difference for a newer card when they come out next month supposedly. I think the limit is 3 months with evga so you should be good. That's what I'm doing.

nna2

Distinguished
since amd is coming out with there new series, the selloff of there old series will begin, and i beleve the next series is going to roll out next month, so you could pick up a high end HD 6*** series (68** or 69**) for cheaper... and AMD cards can use Physx, i can in mafia II just fine

You're running PhysX on an AMD card?

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
You can't run physx off the card, your computer is just doing the computations on your CPU, thus decreasing the performance of the game. The whole point of physx is to be able to run those extra physics calculations on the GPU to take a load off the CPU, and also to be able to do more complicated simulations.

Also I would get a gtx 570, probably an MSI twin frozr edition. I personally like nivida cards, have always works perfectly for me and their price/performance has been fairly even with AMD for the most part. Not only that, you get the benefit of CUDA for encoding video faster. That may not be something you do often, but if it is, it would be nice to have.

nna2

Distinguished

my mistake, either way i can enable Physx in game with very little preformance hit

4745454b

Titan
Me personally I would probably just get some cheap card. The 5770 or 6850 should be around $100ish, and will make most games quite playable. The thing is to get by, not blow your main card money early. Either keep this card as a backup, or dump. Yes you can dump the 69xx card as well, but you might not get as much as you want for it...

crazekid362

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Why not just purchase a gtx 570 from evga now and using their trade in offer, pay the difference for a newer card when they come out next month supposedly. I think the limit is 3 months with evga so you should be good. That's what I'm doing.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
The first Kepler cards aren't due until near the end of Q1, so March or April. Also, it won't be the fastest Kepler. In the Kepler line up it's supposed to the the "60TI" card, so branding wise the 660TI or 760TI if the rumors about skipping 6 are true. The high end Kepler isn't due until the end of next year.

nna2

Distinguished
To the question.
A nice tastey cheese and onion sandwich.
Alot of alone time with my GF.
Lots of loo visits.
Drinks.
Play some of my 206 games on steam.
Might sleep a little.
Come here and post the most basic answer ever.....

what question are you looking at?

im trying my best to figure out a hidden meaning but i dont see one...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
^ not on topic....tisk tisk tisk ;-)

If I go Nvidia...most definitely a MSI Frozr. I will never buy EVGA...long story! I might just wait till January and see if 7970 is lower than the $550 rumor. I was thinking of 570/580 but I heard the 7970 screams past it.

How so? It was a reference to your question, or do you still have a problem distinguishing the difference between a question and a discussion?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

No, but apparently the both of you got a little confused about what I was asking but that's ok, your answer hardly surprises me anyway. Good to see when asking a question about not waiting for the 7970 and possibly Kepler; what's the next best thing; a cheese sandwich etc. Yeah, I'm sure that would of flew nicely if I had written that eh MM! At least this shows who's in your clique.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

You know, the answer to all is a cheese sandwich :lol: even if the question is asking about alternatives to Kepler and Tahiti. He must be using reverse psychology :na: We also don't know the difference between a discussion and a question. But anyway......

Thanks for your input NNA2, renz496, crazekid, drumsrule, 4745454b, refillable. I'm torn...7970 but I think it probably will be overkill although the game list shows 2 of my games it optimizes; Civ 5 and Sims3 (rarely have been playing it though).

I dont want to get a card that will be discontinued. I heard the 7970 beats the 570/580 so I'm slightly hesitant but still, the fog about Nvidia wonders me....a lot has changed since 2002 (my last Nvidia card). I love eye candy; beautiful picture, terrific graphics etc...PhysX/Cuda.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I guess some people are plain boring... what a life.
I will be getting the 7970 in jan as a present from my brother for looking after our sick mother ;)
In the meantime waiting for keplar i will be playing alot of games and eating more cheese and onion sarnies.

Oh, thank you for explaining it to me. I thought I had to whip out the secret decoding ring. Oh yes, I lead a very boring life; becoming a father for the first time

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanks everyone. I was convinced to cross to the other side called Nvidia :) I was able to grab a GTX 570 (MSI's PE/OC edition) before it sold out again. Gonna keep an eye on Kepler and see how it stands up with AMD's new lineup and see what happens by next summer. If this card really pushes my new system up and the eye candy is there, I'll stay with Nvidia. (reason why I switched now was because my video card was acting funny- 4890- and my motherboard has been failing. Perfect timing to replace some parts and prepare for Ivy Bridge.

Malmental, thank you for your advice and turning me to the other side :) May Nvidia be with you :) now me :)

Robjordy...I like the alien avatar better :) hehe

Mousemonkey, as always I cherish our sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.