Your question

Compatibility PLEASE HELP

Tags:
  • Compatibility
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 11, 2012 3:47:21 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15r n5010, that i've decided to upgrade. Before I do I want to make sure everything is compatible.

Processor - Intel Core i5 Mobile Processor i5-2450M 2.5GHz 3MB CPU
Hard Drive - Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 7200rpm SATA2 16MB Notebook Hard Drive
Memory - 8GB (4x2) DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
Video Card - XFX ATI Radeon HD6670 2GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI

More about : compatibility

June 11, 2012 3:53:37 AM

You will not be able to put a desktop GPU in a laptop. Only upgrades really to a laptop that are worth it are ram and HDD.
m
l
June 11, 2012 3:57:51 AM

You won't be able to upgrade anything but the RAM and HDD in that laptop.

Aside from that, the GPU you picked out is a desktop model anyway and the CPU wouldn't ever be compatible even if it WAS possible to replace it because it's a totally different generation and socket.

For the RAM, you need to make sure that it's laptop RAM and not desktop RAM, as well.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 4:08:56 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You won't be able to upgrade anything but the RAM and HDD in that laptop.

Aside from that, the GPU you picked out is a desktop model anyway and the CPU wouldn't ever be compatible even if it WAS possible to replace it because it's a totally different generation and socket.

For the RAM, you need to make sure that it's laptop RAM and not desktop RAM, as well.

The Processor is the Mobility version, made for notebooks. The RAM is also compatible...now, where do I go with this? Could I do the upgrade if I purchased a new motherboard with the proper sockets?
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:18:10 AM

ImmortalTP said:
The Processor is the Mobility version, made for notebooks. The RAM is also compatible...now, where do I go with this? Could I do the upgrade if I purchased a new motherboard with the proper sockets?

There wouldn't be a compatible motherboard to replace the old one that would fit into that laptop, I'm almost positive. It would have to be a motherboard that was made specifically for that model of laptop (which never came with a second gen Core CPU).
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:22:17 AM

Ok...can you recommend a laptop that could take all these upgrades? One with most built in?
m
l
June 11, 2012 4:27:38 AM

It would just be easier and make more sense to get a new laptop period, with what you're wanting (or close to it) already in it.

Upgrading laptops past the RAM and HDD is hardly ever worth it (and in a lot of cases, not possible at all, past the RAM and HDD).
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:21:59 AM

Ok, could a Dell Latitude e6520 take the Radeon 6670m?
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:29:27 AM

I honestly don't know if that particular GPU will work, so you'll have to do some research on compatibility, but the GPU on the model DOES appear to be upgradable, at least. I just don't know what type or even if it's restricted to Nvidia only.

Dell's (or Alienware's) site should shed some light on that.
m
l
!