Make file selecting more xp like... i have no idea what to search

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
ok, for a while i have been tweaking win 7 by googleing everything, but this has me completely stumped as to what im looking for.

in windows xp i had to click on the file name it self to select a file, but in 7, i can double click where it says size, and it will open the file/folder.

this wasnt a big deal for me... until i started moving files,

i have a folder that is basicly 800 folders and several thousand zips strong. and moveing the files to these folders... is a major hassle.

i am constantly dumping things in folders i dont want to and worse, ruining zips because it decided to dump them in those instead of moving files to the folder i want.

is there any way to make it more xp like?

Sounds to me like what you actually need is a better file manager, i.e. a windows explorer replacement, rather than a tweak.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-5-best-windows-explorer-replacements/
2nd one down might do it, or the thought might give you a different direction to look for a solution.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if there is a way to tweak when default browser so it only selects a file if you click/drop it by its name, thats all i need.

alturnativly, if i could take out the browsers built in functions for and zip like file so it will stop dropping it inside them, instead of just into the folder that would also be nice.

i already have and alternative browsers for images, and one for folder sizes, i dont want to have to get another one just to move files.

-----------------an edit--------------

the programs that i use for images are acdsee 8 and pro 5
pro 5 has never failed to start or to function like acdsee 8 has, but 8 doesnt have any rar or zip functions for editing that i know of, so i cant accidently modify them in that program. i know its personal preference, but i dont like programs being jack of all trades, id prefer a dedicated program for every purpose.

modify the rar/zip type programs, i got winrar for that, and if it cant be opend there 7zip
view images, there is the built in windows one, but for some reason in 7 gifs arent animated so i have irfan view as a backup
reading large ammounts of images, in archives, or out, i have acdsee 8 and pro 5.

all i want windows explorer to do is allow me to go through folders and get me to the programs that i want the file to be attached to.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
like xp, i dont want to have to have a window almost full screened just so i can drop files from folder to folder without it also dropping into a new folder...

what i want is files to only be selectable when i press their name, not when im close to 1000 pixles away from anything close to name related.