Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need some help on a workstation

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 6:58:29 PM

I need some help on my first build. I am using it for Editing with Studio 6 They have Minimum requirements but would like to get the most for my buck (obviously)

I was over at the video guys and was referred to this http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY8+Hex+Cor...

Also had a quick note at the bottom stating this:
"Go with less RAM 8GB, a cheapar nVidia GPU and perhaps a slower processor like an i5."

I am thinking about the "DIY8 "Budget" (Video Guys) but that build was done a while ago. We all know as soon as you check out of line, a new better one is put on the shelf as you leave the store.
I am not sure how to tell which Mobo goes with what GPU, or Ram either. I am not stupid, I can tear down a motor and rebuild it as well as rebuild a 5 speed mesh transmission for my motorcycle. It is just that SOME parts are interchangeable and some are NOT

My last two computers I bought, one at a big box store the other from Dell and both times I was undersold or stuck with a non upgradeable computer if need be. So I am here hoping this forum can help me...

Extras I want for this build would be the capability to edit wit AVid Studio 6 on my 32" current Dell screen, I have now and then be able to send the signal to my 55" LED TV for preview, as well as watch Netflix and Hulu and the likes of when not editing.
Kinda getting a Computer and a TV in one Bump.
My budget is now in the 14's and was in the 8's BTW I see that 10k rpm is better for the boot then 7200 for a couple of bucks more....
I read through here where a 1000 bucks last year worked for someone.....

Oh...one other thing, I would like my Desktop to have Wireless capabilities without using a 82.11 whatever... USB stick in one of the ports

More about : workstation

February 23, 2012 8:18:25 PM

It isn't rocket science to see what is interchangeable with what. The processor and the motherboard numbers both have to match and the same for RAM and motherboard.

A 1155 processor will go in a 1155 motherboard, and 1333 RAM will go in a 1333 motherboard. Any motherboard will say on there what it supports and you just pick one of those.

That being said, I would get this stuff if I were you:

CPU - i5-2500k - $220
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z68 - $125
RAM - CT2KIT51264BA1339 - $40
Video Card - HD 6950 - $220
SSD - Crucial M4 64GB - $120
HD - 1TB from not-Hitachi - $140ish
PSU - XFX 650w - $65ish after rebates
Case - HAF 912 - $50ish
Extra 120/140 mm fans - $10ish each
Internal Wireless Card - $20ish

That being said, I would try to get a physical wire if I were you. It is much better when transferring a lot of data to be doing it over a physical wire. You could easily be looking at a 50 mbps transfer rate through the air vs a 1000 mbps transfer rate over a physical wire.

Also, future upgradability is hard to plan for in a lot of cases. You never know what will come out a year or two from now and its impossible to know with any certainty whether that will work with what you are getting now.

Most people, when they want to upgrade, don't want to upgrade to a part that is compatible with their old system anyway. When something is good enough to upgrade to its probably too good for your old parts to begin with. Anything that is compatible probably isn't a big step up from what you already have.

Especially so if you already have the best parts for the current generation of PCs which, if you get the stuff I said, you pretty much will.

It is better to just save $400 on the total price of the PC and put that towards the next full system upgrade than to spend it now in hopes that it will magically protect you from the future.

Just thought I would throw it out there.

It would be different if you had a super low budget like $600 and you needed to get something basic now and get better current gen stuff later when you had more money, but $1400 will get top tier stuff now which leaves little room to go up later.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

There are plenty of ways to waste the other $400 to get some hope for future compatibility, but you are guaranteed nothing if you do.

- Edit - Word choice.
February 23, 2012 8:22:52 PM

What sort of budget are we working with? I agree with Raiddinn but would suggest an i7 for hyperthreading, which will help with the editing.

If your budget is much bigger, we could go with a "low-end" Socket 2011 system...
Related resources
February 23, 2012 8:39:12 PM

boiler1990 said:
What sort of budget are we working with? I agree with Raiddinn but would suggest an i7 for hyperthreading, which will help with the editing.

If your budget is much bigger, we could go with a "low-end" Socket 2011 system...

Actually I'd suggest a Xeon E3-based system if it's going to be strictly a workstation. No sense in building one with consumer / gaming hardware.

Quote:

I was over at the video guys and was referred to this http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/V [...] bdbd7.aspx

That will be ridiculously expensive when everything is put together. X79 certainly isn't cheap right now even with the i7-3820.

Maybe try something like this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: Seasonic S12 II 620W - $79.99
Motherboard: Asus P8B-C4L - $194.99
CPU: 3.2GHz Intel Xeon E3-1230 - $239.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $109.99
HD: Seagate Barracuda ST 1TB - $129.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V5800 - $379.99

Total: $1,352.90
February 23, 2012 9:12:31 PM

Thank you guys for your help, I am kinda stuck on the gaming too. however I can dedicate this Dell 530 with:
intel core 2 duo e6550 2.33 ghz
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT
st3320620as = seagate 7200 For Gaming-i will just install the Win7 Pro when i get it for the other puter. I know it is not a fast top ranking computer but for an Old guy who likes to play Battlefield it should suffice enough> Heck i get kicked when I have a decent connect now. Never used mods and still play pretty good. (IMO) LOL

The real challenge is the budget but Raiddinn helped me understand MOBO's a bit better and G-unit your build is around the top of the money I was thinking about spending. Boiler I have no idea what you are referring to. It must be elementry to you but it is a bit challenging right now. I know one thing I am not going to Dell or a big box store to have a salesmen sell me last months junk. Been there done that. The specs required for the software I am going to use is:
Computer: Avid-qualified Windows-based computer or laptop2 (see details)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz processor or faster
Memory: 4 GB of RAM (6+ GB of RAM recommended)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family3 (FX 560 or higher)1 GB of mem on video card...
Internal Hard Drive: Minimum 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk

While this is better then I have now I would like to make it a bit quicker then minimum requirements, staying within a range of 1000 to 1300 I already bumped from 800 BTW...

This computer will be for editing with Studio -not the upgrade for Pinnacle but the real editing as used on the Hill. http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer

I agree a j45 has more horsepower, but wanted to have that option in the puter. I use a USB adapter now on my desktop and it can be slow.....

Important is being able to run a signal into my TV and still have my monitor for working on editing. Is that a MOBO thing?

Thank you for hopping in here with your suggestions, You guys are obviously better acquainted with this stuff then i am.
February 24, 2012 1:06:33 AM

The stuff I suggested is the same thing I suggested a month ago. Nothing much changed in that time, but I know what you mean.

The OEM PC builders do really well getting average people cheap low end computers. They don't do so well for serious people with serious computers.

It is better to make your own if it is high end.

I think my suggestion would be plenty fine for your request.
February 24, 2012 4:35:56 AM

Raiddinn said:
The stuff I suggested is the same thing I suggested a month ago. Nothing much changed in that time, but I know what you mean.

The OEM PC builders do really well getting average people cheap low end computers. They don't do so well for serious people with serious computers.

It is better to make your own if it is high end.

I think my suggestion would be plenty fine for your request.

I followed your suggestions and looked them up over at newegg. I know that (Media 6) requires or almost insists on Nvidia Video card with 1Gb of dedicated Ram Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family3 (FX 560 or higher)
Being new with this, I see there are Graphic cards from $100 to $12000! You wrote HD6950 Who makes that?
I was thinking about building around this card http://www.nvidia.com/object/buy_now_results_ci.html?id...

Although there are slight deviations to that card and I guess I will have to look up each spec for my application...

Thanks in advance

Best solution

February 24, 2012 6:54:15 PM

HD 6950 is an ATI (and/or AMD) video card that competes with the 560ti.

The HD 6970 is the one that competes with the GTX 570.

As for the HD 6950 not being enough to handle the Studio 6 program, the FX 580 is a 1GB card with 40w TDP video card with 128 bits of bandwidth and 32 cores.

The HD 6950 has a 256 bit interface, about 225w TDP, 2GBs of RAM, vs 1408 stream processors.

A nvidia core is worth about 5 stream processors, so that is 32 vs ~280 for the AMD.

Unless the Studio 6 program only works with Quadro cards, which I doubt, the AMD should be able to do the same thing as about 10 Quadro cards.

The 570 vs 6950, as mentioned before, is the only real comparison and they come out about the same.
February 26, 2012 11:03:34 PM

That is the the kind of information I was looking for Raiddinn, I will get with the Software manufacture and ask if ATI and or AMD is compatible with Media Composer 6 by Avid.

Maybe I can get that info from an AVID specific Forum? Never the less thank you all for your guidance and help. And what price diff for that card compared to Nvidia. Almost half!!
February 26, 2012 11:04:01 PM

Best answer selected by netcommercial.
February 27, 2012 2:02:48 PM

The forums from the product maker should be able to tell you whether AMD works.

That being said, like 99.9% of things work the same with either one.

Well written programs don't access hardware directly, they contact the windows subsystem and ask that to access the hardware on the program's behalf.

Back in the DOS days, programmers used to access hardware directly (because it worked faster) and it caused all kinds of problems, that is part of why you can't run DOS or Windows 95 games on Windows 7. A patch would have to be made that would convert direct access calls to subsystem calls in order for it to work. It isn't hard to do, but if a game maker is still in business that was around in 1994 it probably doesn't want to bother patching 1994 games now that it is 18 years later.

BTW, buggy/poorly-written code that accessed hardware directly is why Windows 95 crashed very often compared to, say, Windows 7.

With Windows NT and later OSs, Microsoft started "suggesting" designers write their programs to just talk to the subsystem and not worry about the details, which for the most part people generally do these days when they are coding things with, for example, .NET.

As far as the Windows Subsystem is concerned, it doesn't care which card maker you have, it knows how to do everything with both just fine. It just looks at the driver and the driver tells it how to do what it wants to do.
March 1, 2012 1:08:37 AM

To those of you who have come across this post in search of the same knowledge about video cards and or building your own workstation. I was over at the Avid Forum asking about these configs that these nice guys shared. The objection I recieved was the fact that Media Composer 6 or AVID writes it's code or drivers expecting the PC owner to have NVidia in their system. Otherwise things like fullscreen play back or something like that won't work when editing
FYI hope this helps.
regards
Netcommercial
March 2, 2012 9:36:42 PM

Avid said they refuse to allow their program to work with ATI video cards?
March 3, 2012 1:50:59 AM

Raiddinn said:
Avid said they refuse to allow their program to work with ATI video cards?

Not as you stated, but the folks using the software, mentioned scenarios like that. For one over there, who is a code writer, if you will. The banter back in forth on the subject said, ATI will work if you got time to hack the driver to work on ATI. As well as Avid only supports Nvidia Cards. The 560 and Quadro on up...
!