Your question
Closed

Need Advice on ~ $800 Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 7:12:06 PM

500 watts is enough unless you plan on upgrading later
Score
February 23, 2012 7:25:35 PM

You might need to make sure that you need that bay converter for the SSD. Most of them come with a converter in the box, unless it's OEM, and this is the retail version. Plus, you can get that SSD $5 cheaper on Amazon, so shop around.

You'll likely miss having a secondary drive.

You don't need the thermal compound unless you buy an aftermarket heatsink/fan, which isn't on your list. The CPU will come with its own compound or it will already be applied.

Do you already have:

monitor?
keyboard?
mouse?
operating system?
Score
Related resources
February 23, 2012 7:30:21 PM

@ringzero - I do have a bay converter on my list. You must've skimmed past it. I'll remove the thermal compound! And yes, I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a good computer case that is approximately $60-$70 with a SD card reader slot? That Antec 300 does not have a SD slot.
Score
February 23, 2012 7:34:05 PM

beand1p said:
@ringzero - I do have a bay converter on my list. You must've skimmed past it. I'll remove the thermal compound! And yes, I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a good computer case that is approximately $60-$70 with a SD card reader slot? That Antec 300 does not have a SD slot.

Ha, sorry I wasn't more clear. I was saying that you probably DON'T need that bay converter. Most retail SSD boxes come with a converter already in the box ;-)
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2012 7:57:47 PM

1) The Antec 500w psu is a good one. It will power a card up to a GTX560ti, or a 6950. Actually, a 7970 or 7950 will also be ok because the new 28nm cards need less power.

2) The real driver of a gaming pc is the graphics card. If you find any savings, spend it on the best graphics card you can afford.
Here are some ideas:

How many expansion slots do you really need? A full ATX motherboard has 7, a Micro-ATX has 4.
A M-ATX motherboard will usually be cheaper. I used a ASRock H61M/U3S3 $70 for my son's build using a 2100 and it went very well. It was my first asrock motherboard, and I was impressed. No need for a Z68 and lots of slots:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Antec 200 is a bit cheaper, and you can probably use the front 2.5" hot swap caddy for your ssd; check that out.
If push comes to shove, you can just use duct tape to attach your ssd to the bottom, or elsewhere in the case.

The stock intel cooler is fine, and it comes with pre applied paste. Pushpin mounts are tricky for the first time bbuilder, so it might not be bad to get a tube of as5, just in case you need to remount.

1.5v ram does not need fancy heat spreaders, which are mostly marketing.
Here is an equivalent kit for a few bucks less:

For $3 more, I would get the i3-2120:

3) The motherboard will come with two sata cables which should be ok for the ssd, and dvd.
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2012 8:15:47 PM

^this. Good cost saving measures.

I game on my i3-2120 + 560Ti and can run pretty much any game out there. I can run Skyrim on High, AA x8, AAF x8 with no lag even in crowded areas.

I'd also suggest cutting costs on the mobo. No need to buy one with extreme OC features if you're not going to.
Score
February 23, 2012 8:43:13 PM

ringzero said:
Ha, sorry I wasn't more clear. I was saying that you probably DON'T need that bay converter. Most retail SSD boxes come with a converter already in the box ;-)

Ah, that was my bad. I've removed the bay converter.
Score
February 23, 2012 8:45:51 PM

beand1p said:
Ah, that was my bad. I've removed the bay converter.

And if you get the box and it doesn't come with one, PM me... I bought a separate one for my Intel SSD, only to find it came with one in the box... I'll send you my extra one if you need it ;-)
Score
February 23, 2012 8:47:25 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone! I've updated my build.

@geofelt: I changed cases and CPU per recommendation. I cut the cost of the mobo down about $20. The mobo in your link seemed to have some DOA and quality issues from the feedback? Maybe just some lemons?

Anyone else know of any cheaper mobos with good reviews?

Thanks.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 23, 2012 9:09:23 PM

beand1p said:
Thanks for the tips everyone! I've updated my build.

@geofelt: I changed cases and CPU per recommendation. I cut the cost of the mobo down about $20. The mobo in your link seemed to have some DOA and quality issues from the feedback? Maybe just some lemons?

Anyone else know of any cheaper mobos with good reviews?

Thanks.

It is hard to know how to interpret doa reports. All products seem to have them. Those who have good results do not tend to post. Lower cost components are often bought by those with less experience, so who knows where the problems came from? Non supported ram, cheap psu's or???

To me, newegg has been great for returns and exchanges, so If i ever have a doa problem, which is rarely, I am covered.

For a different low cost alternative look at ECS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I have use the socket 1156 version and was well pleased.
Score
February 24, 2012 1:22:00 AM

@geofelt: I think I'm going to give the H61M mobo a try.

I don't think that HD 6850 video card will fit in that Antec 200 case though. Anyone have any ideas for a case that will work with that H61M mobo and a HD 6850 GPU?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 1:35:27 AM

beand1p said:
@geofelt: I think I'm going to give the H61M mobo a try.

I don't think that HD 6850 video card will fit in that Antec 200 case though. Anyone have any ideas for a case that will work with that H61M mobo and a HD 6850 GPU?

google to find the length of the particular 6850 you are considering.
and also antec 200.
most are 8.5 or 9" long.
That should fit the 200.

Atx and Matx motherboards have the same mounting holes in common. Any atx case will fit any m-atx motherboard.
Score
February 24, 2012 1:49:57 AM

Best answer selected by beand1p.
Score
a c 378 4 Gaming
February 24, 2012 2:21:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!