Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I plan on building this PC in a few months what do you guys think?

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 7:08:58 PM

Its not meant for hardcore gaming but I do like to watch blu ray videos and use photoshop so I'll be putting a half decent GPU in it, but the CPU is very important to me and according to the benchmarks the i7 3820 is as strong as the 2700K but about $50 cheaper. Also, I'm getting the higher watt PSU just in case I decide to upgrade my GPU later. Next, I already have a monitor, speakers, and wireless keyboard. Next, I wanted full profile RAM but with that Frio fan its just never going to happen. Lastly, I currently have a 150GB HDD in my computer I've had it for 6 years now and I still have about 40GB of free space so I highly doubt I need a 1TB drive. So heres all the stuff I plan on getting, note some of it is still out of stock but will be back in stock by the time a few months pass.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D $140 from Amazon no tax or shipping (will probably be available in April from what I read)
Mobo: MSI X79A GD65 w/Tt Frio Fan $320 from Amazon no tax or shipping
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820: $320 from Tiger Direct no tax or shipping
RAM: G. Skill Ares Low Profile 16 GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 $125 from Newegg no shipping 7% tax.
GPU: Asus ATI Radeon 6770, $92 after rebate on J&R no tax or shipping
PSU: 650W Thermaltake TR2 $85 from Amazon no tax or shipping
HDD: 120GB Corsair Force 3 $170 from Amazon no shipping or tax + 500 GB Seagate Barracuda $75 from Amazon no tax or shipping
OS: My friend gave me his extra copy of Windows 7 Ultimate so I don't have to buy it.
Extras: 2 Cooler master Sickle-flow 120mm Fans $6 each from Amazon no tax or shipping.

Thats a total of $1340 and I expect to be able to still use photoshop and MS Word at great speeds 6 years down the line.
February 23, 2012 7:24:56 PM

In a few months there will be 2 game changing things to hit the PC market. Ivy Bridge and Kepler. Why would you even plan a system now? And I would highly suggest you tone down the case and some other things and get a better GPU than a 6770. Why put together a $1200 machine and cripple it with such a low end GPU.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:24:56 PM

VistaVendetta said:
...according to the benchmarks the i7 3820 is as strong as the 2700K but about $50 cheaper...

This may be true, but the motherboard for the i7 3820 is considerably more expensive, so you're not really saving $50. Unless there's something the X79 chipset gives you that you need, you'd likely be better off buying a 2600k or 2700k and a Z68 motherboard capable of DDR3 1866.

Also, I haven't seen MSI motherboards recommended often - you may want to go with ASUS or Gigabyte instead.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2012 7:30:08 PM

The computer landscape can change a lot in a calendar quarter. I would put all of this off until about 2 weeks until the date you intend to build the computer in.

Also, Amazon isn't very competitive in pricing most of the time. Newegg.com almost always beats it in my experience. It is the only website that people around here use for the most part.

I would get the 2500k instead of all of those processors. It has a high bang for your buck and can OC to equal most of the more expensive ones that cost twice as much with only a cheap cooler on it.

Motherboard... I would stick with Asus or Gigabyte, myself.

RAM - Fine enough, but 1866 is probably overkilling it. I doubt you will get any more out of the 1866 than you would out of a set of 1333.

GPU - I would get at least a HD 6850.

PSU - Thermaltake isn't a good brand, avoid it. Get an XFX 650w instead.

SSD - Crucial M4s are more reliable SSDs, I would get one of those instead.

HD - Fine

OS - Fine

Fans - Fine

Case - Overkillish, I would get a HAF 912 or 922 or Antec Illusion instead. Both should come in under $60. I like my Lian Li case too, especially if you can get it for $60.

CPU Cooler - I am not familiar with the TT Frio, but I know that the Hyper 212 EVO is what most people around here recommend.

Basically, I would be looking at a lot more balanced system.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:32:28 PM

Holy crap that's an expensive motherboard. Not worth the extra money for that, in my opinion. I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a mobo for a non-gaming rig.

Forget getting a nicer GPU, I'd put extra money toward a HDD. You might not think you need it, but in my experience, you'll need the extra space before you need more CPU or GPU power.

m
l
February 23, 2012 7:37:13 PM

vrumor said:
In a few months there will be 2 game changing things to hit the PC market. Ivy Bridge and Kepler. Why would you even plan a system now? And I would highly suggest you tone down the case and some other things and get a better GPU than a 6770. Why put together a $1200 machine and cripple it with such a low end GPU.

The 6770 is just fine for what I intend on using it, I can always upgrade the GPU later. As for the case there is no better option for a silent computer case, not even the R3.

In fact, heres an explanation of 550D vs. R3: 550D comes with 3 fans whereas the R3 comes with 2 fans. It has less plastic than the R3. It's air filters are a million times easier to remove and clean than the R3's. It's front door is removable, to improve airflow and storage ability, the R3's isn't (Sure you can open it but u cant take it off). It has 4 5.25 drive bays the R3 only has 2 (not even a 3.5 bay just those 2 5.25). R3 only has a 1 year warranty Obsidian 550D has a 2 year warranty.

Quote:
This may be true, but the motherboard for the i7 3820 is considerably more expensive, so you're not really saving $50. Unless there's something the X79 chipset gives you that you need, you'd likely be better off buying a 2600k or 2700k and a Z68 motherboard capable of DDR3 1866.

Yeah thats a good point, I'll think about it.
m
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2012 7:37:31 PM

There's a lot of stuff I'd really hesitate to recommend, especially the TT PSU and Corsair Force 3. The Obsidian D is a good choice but it's kind of overkill for this build

For $1340 this would be a better setup:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
PSU: Seasonic S12 II 620W - $79.99
Motherboard: Asrock X79 Extreme 3 - $219.99
CPU: 3.6Ghz Intel Core i7-3820 - $319.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $94.99
SSD: 64GB Samsung 830 - $109.99
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST 7200 RPM - $129.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 560TI - $249.99

With this setup you get a way better video card, the case isn't as good but it's still Corsair quality, a larger HD, a better SSD, and a slightly better motherboard.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:41:31 PM

Raiddinn said:
Also, Amazon isn't very competitive in pricing most of the time. Newegg.com almost always beats it in my experience. It is the only website that people around here use for the most part.

Newegg.com charges you shipping and taxes Amazon.com doesn't thats why I try to avoid Newegg.com whenever I can, no taxes mean I actually save good money. Though, Newegg.com definitely has the best search engine out there.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2012 7:46:55 PM

In my experience, newegg + tax is still usually less than Amazon + included tax, and I think it is the same for most of the people around here too.

Sometimes it could be different, though, I suppose.

I don't think almost everyone here uses Newegg, because it is the more expensive one.

Whatever gets you the best deal on legal parts is good enough, though, I guess.

I just thought I would mention it.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:47:24 PM

g-unit1111 said:
There's a lot of stuff I'd really hesitate to recommend, especially the TT PSU and Corsair Force 3. The Obsidian D is a good choice but it's kind of overkill for this build

that AsRock combo is amazing I can't believe I didn't catch that
m
l

Best solution

a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2012 7:49:12 PM

VistaVendetta said:
that AsRock combo is amazing I can't believe I didn't catch that

Asrock boards have some surprisingly good features for their prices. The only bad thing is for an X79 board it only has 4 x DIMM slots as opposed to 8 x DIMM slots on the higher end boards, but you most likely won't use all that RAM to begin with.
March 4, 2012 12:55:46 AM

Best answer selected by vistavendetta.
m
l
!