What are the different types of network connections?

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Hey guys. So this may be rather difficult, but I was hoping to learn about the different network types. Such as dial-up, cable, DSL, fiber optic, and so forth.

What are the differences between DSL and cable, what makes Cable and DSL diff? How do these different networks work? What do you think I should know about em?

Also, speed ranges would be great. Anything you think I should know is appreciated. There's also T1 and T3 and such? How bout those diff kinds of networks? Im really interested in networking and hope to learn about it in general and for a career possibly. Thank you for your time.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Thank you all for replying, this is NOT a homework question, I wrote them real fast and I know they sound all scattered, I was in a rush so I apologize for that. Will be reading up on the links provided.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I would Start At Optical Carrier-1 which means 55Mbps a Line, scales all the way up to OC-48 I read in one of my old Network+2003 Certs!

ISDN is Intergrated Service Digital Node which is Faster than Dial-up 56Kbps vs. 64Kbps/128Kbps two different types ISDN-A/ISDN-B which has something extra than ISDN-A!

DSL is either Symetrical 10Mbps/10Mbps Upload/Download or Asymetrical Lower Upload Speed than Download Speed. PPPOE needs Username/Password Name

Cable Was Faster Than DSL and had less Software problems with OS and Applications! Best to install their software and get their proxy server (Acts like a Guardian Trying To Filter Malicious Code) slows down connection not to much but gives you more insurance of Spyware /Adware/Trogan Viruses & PC/Browsers Hijackers!