Sign in with
Your question

New Build - FX 8120 or Phenom X6 1055T

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2012 7:34:23 PM

OK so here is the details. I am building a new gaming system. Most i play is BF3. Money isn't so much a problem. I want to spend around 500 for the basics ( motherboard and processor ). This is my plan so far.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth
Processor: FX-8120

Now the problem/confusion i am stuck on is that i don't want to spend a lot on a FX processor because everything i have read on it shows that it isn't that big of a step from the Phenom x6. I just don't want to get something "Pointless" if i could of went a step down for cheaper. I will be overclocking with liquid cooling. Also does the FX series have any improvement for Crossfire or AMD video cards? I know 8 cores may be over-kill but come on lol its 8 cores :p 

Also has anyone ever used or heard about Thermoelectric cold plates? Seen were it can get -16c on the processor. Sounds awsome to me lol.

I have read the reviews and stories on this processor but i just want a straight up awnser. If you have the money what would you go with. I am just on the fence on this one. Thanks.
February 23, 2012 7:52:57 PM

From what im lead to believe 6 cores is overkill for gaming as most games don't even use 4. Get an Intel i5 if you can, this is superior for gaming to both of the AMD options!
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:55:38 PM

Agreed. Intel is the much better buy here. The i5-2500K outperforms AMD's options, and can be easily and efficiently (i.e. with less added power) overclocked moreso than AMD's.

Pair the i5-2500K with a nice Z68 board and you should be spending ~$400.

Edit: added a few missing words.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2012 8:18:56 PM

I agree with them I have the AMD 1090T and it is wonderfull but the i5 or i7 are the way to go for gaming.

Thent

PS if you mean peltiers yes I tried that out a few years back it was a fun experiment but when you get down to the fact the thing pulled 20 amps to be at full thats just stupid crazy it needd its own power supply... Just sitting in its box now LOL..

Thent
m
l
February 23, 2012 8:19:42 PM

I agree with the i5 suggestion as you'll end up spending the same but getting more performance.
To answer your other question, i assume you are talking about peltier cooling and it's not suggested. Anything that brings your temps below ambient can cause condensation and fry your board. Lot's of work has to go into preventing that. There are many disadvantages to think of going that route. You'd also need a way to cool the peltier element since it cools one side and heats up on the other.
m
l
February 24, 2012 1:48:42 AM

I was kindof directing towards AMD. I have used amd for a long time now, i dont think i will be happy with going with intel. I know they are good and all but i am just a amd fan i guess. So FX or Phenom x6 1100T black edition? My current system has this...

AMD Phenom X6 1100T Black Edition - OC to 4.0GHz
MSI 870a-g54
12gb DDR3 667mhz
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Corsair 120gb SSD

So now with that in mind. Would it even be worth it to upgrade at this point. Except for the motherboard witch i plan to get a Asus Sabertooth.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:08:44 AM

For Bf3 if your play in big 64 player matches 6cores is ideal, IT WILL use that much cpu power if it's available
The If you had the choice of a FX and a X6 i'd still use the X6 till the FX range gets some updates.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:15:38 AM

Thanks, i was kindof thinking that myself. Any thoughts on the Asus Sabertooth motherboard?
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:25:28 AM

diddle283 said:
From what im lead to believe 6 cores is overkill for gaming as most games don't even use 4. Get an Intel i5 if you can, this is superior for gaming to both of the AMD options!

Not to mention the $70 dual core Pentium outperforms the octo-core FX-8150: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

Quote:
Thanks, i was kindof thinking that myself. Any thoughts on the Asus Sabertooth motherboard?

Most of the Asus Sabertooth models are fine - I hate the P67 variant with the plastic covers on everything.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:31:54 AM

frankc123 said:
I was kindof directing towards AMD. I have used amd for a long time now, i dont think i will be happy with going with intel. I know they are good and all but i am just a amd fan i guess. So FX or Phenom x6 1100T black edition? My current system has this...

AMD Phenom X6 1100T Black Edition - OC to 4.0GHz
MSI 870a-g54
12gb DDR3 667mhz
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Corsair 120gb SSD

So now with that in mind. Would it even be worth it to upgrade at this point. Except for the motherboard witch i plan to get a Asus Sabertooth.

it looks like a capable gaming system. fx might turn out to be a sidegrade.. check g-unit1111's link.
you could try waiting till later this year and decide after piledriver and ivy bridge has come out.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:57:35 AM

even fx 8150 is been beaten by fx 4100 in games

m
l
!