Sign in with
Your question

Evga 470 gtx sli high temps Idle

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2011 4:43:12 AM

I have 2 EVGA 470 gtx running in SLI in a cooler master storm sniper case with 3 200mm fans and 3 120mm fans in the case. I know the 470s get hot and that is how they were designed but is 87 to 89 degrees Celsius normal for idle for the bottom card and 75-80 degrees Celsius normal for the top card?

During gaming i manually set fan speeds up to 90% to avoid going over 80 degrees while gaming but having fans set at manual they can get above 100 degrees. Is this reason to RMA the cards using my lifetime warranty on both of them?

Steps i have done:
1) Cleaned the cards using compressed air
2) Tried buying faster fans for the side and top of the case now i have 79cfm 120 fans all around.
3) Bought a new fan for CPU in case the heat generated off of that affected the heat from the cards.

Steps i have not done yet:
1) Reapply the TIM. I wasn't sure if this voids EVGA's warranty or not so i decided not to mess with that.
2) Bought liquid cooling for the 470's. This would be expensive and not needed because i have a lifetime warranty.

The parts i currently have installed are:
Asus P8Z68V_PRO with an i7 2600k running at 3.4ghz stock.
16gb of Corsair dominators running at 1600mhz stock.
Creative xfi fatality edition.
Three 2 terabyte 5900rpm hard drives.
Two 1 terabyte 7200rpm hard drives.
A cooler master 1200 watt pro gold power supply.

Thanks for all the help.
a b Î Nvidia
December 25, 2011 6:14:22 AM

Have you taken the card and reapplied thermal paste?
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 4:08:10 PM

Thanks for the advise, i was hoping this was an issue with the cards themselves so i could return them. High heat from graphics cards alone doesn't scare me. Its when they heat up the other components of my rig that i get cautious. I'm not sure if my computer would like 110 degree Celsius components next to the motherboard.

I have all my fans pointed in the right direction, currently i have a 200 mm fan front intake, 2 120mm fans outtake in the back. 1 200 mm fan intake on the side right next to graphics card. 1 120mm fan intake from bottom. 1 200 mm fan outtake on the top to let heat rise and escape. Then i have my power supply pointed down and mounted on the bottom so that the heat doesn't affect the rest of the computer.

Does anyone know if i can reapply the TIM without voiding an EVGA lifetime warranty? I know they warranty overclocking/overvoltaging but i wasn't sure about TIM.

Thanks
m
l
December 25, 2011 5:41:03 PM

hm your fans seem about right, the only thing I would try would be to turn off the side fan next to the 470s see if that makes a difference, some people say side fans have a negative effect, especially with exhaust cards like yours. Also the side fans in addition to your many intake fans could be creating positive pressure inside your case, this page of the article I linked ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressur... ) says negative pressure (outflow > inflow) would benefit your type of graphic card with the exhaust more.

So try to create negative pressure inside your case by reducing the amount of intake (mainly just take off that massive side fan).
m
l
September 18, 2013 1:48:56 AM

I'm also a noob so if anyone want to correct me on this please do.

So it;s now 2years from this thread, i bought a used PC recently with dual SLI (enabled) and noticed the TEMP issue. Then I've found MSI Afterburner. I play games with a slight OC with the fan's up at 70-80% (fan does get loud but gpu stays cool), and the TEMP stays stay under 70C.

Games: Black Ops 2-works fine with/out OC stays near.
Final Fantasy XIV with OC setting as follows (70C):

Default Core Clock/Shader Clock: 608MHz/1215MHz
OC setting CC/SC: 737MHZ/1215MHZ

Some one mentioned on other threads of how hot this card can handle, and you can find the specs for this Card, nvidia website "max Temp=106C."
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...

Hope this helps
m
l
!