Stoopid question about flash memory

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 31, 2005 2:38:40 PM

I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
A510. It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:

1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
the camera.

2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
and put it in the reader.

Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:45:21 PM

johngilmer@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
> A510. It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
> obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
> seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
> this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:
>
> 1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
> the camera.
>
> 2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
> and put it in the reader.
>
> Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
> for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
> or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?

I've got a laptop card reader that came with a 2GB microdrive CF and it
works nice but uses different ports like LPT or something, I forget
exactly and anyways it hogs the system resources so I can barely type or
move the mouse while transfering.

USB 2 HIGH SPEED is the way to go.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

In article <1117561120.628125.25020@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
johngilmer@yahoo.com says...
> I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
> A510.

You're going to love this camera. I just got my wife one 2 weeks ago and
we both love it. A lot of options for a small, low cost camera.

> It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
> obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
> seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
> this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:

Buy the biggest SD card you can afford or several smaller ones. Get at
least a 128MB SD card.

Also my several GOOD sets of NiMH rechargables. When we got the camera
we both some generic NiMH batteries and were not pleased. We could only
get about 40 shots before the batteries died. With the Duracell NiMH
batteries we got she runs out of memory before she runs out of power.

> 1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
> the camera.
>
> 2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
> and put it in the reader.
>
> Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
> for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
> or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?

A card reader is the way to go. Easier and at least twice as fast. Plus
if your at a wedding or another event you can still shoot pictures while
downloading to the laptop provided you have more than one SD card.

We did this at my nieces wedding and were glad we did. We would have
missed quite a few shots had we had to connect the camera to her laptop.

> Thanks in advance.

No problem. If you have any questions once you get the camera feel free
to post your questions here or email me if you like.

June 1, 2005 7:17:51 AM

On 31 May 2005 10:38:40 -0700, johngilmer@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
> A510. It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
> obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
> seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
> this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:

If you get MMC you'll probably wish you hadn't. It's much slower
than SD memory.

> 1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
> the camera.
>
> 2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
> and put it in the reader.
>
> Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
> for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
> or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It's basically correct. But . . . unless the A510 uses USB 2.0
high-speed (and I doubt that it does) it'll use the much slower USB
1.1 or USB 2.0 full-speed. Even so, those are probably reasonably
quick. I prefer using a card reader, but it's only a slight
preference. What you'd get for a PCMCIA slot, though, wouldn't
strictly be called a card reader. It's just a simple card adapter
that lets you use your SD card as if it were a PCMCIA card.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:00:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses..... I have a couple more questions.

1. When I buy a larger SD card, does the transfer speed really matter?
For example, I have seen that I could buy a card that has a transfer
rate between 2 megs per second and 10 mps. Do you think that if I buy
a slower card, that it would slow down the operation of the camera?
There is a mode where it can shoot an AVI movie 640 x 480, 30 frames
per second, which would be a lot of data to transfer.

2. This camera shoots an AVI movie, rather than mpeg. My understanding
is that AVI movies are not compressed, which makes them bigger. I
would rather store the movies as mpeg so they take less room on the
hard drive. Is there some easy way to convert them from AVI to mpeg?

Thanks again!
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:02:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses..... I have a couple more questions.

1. When I buy a larger SD card, does the transfer speed really matter?
For example, I have seen that I could buy a card that has a transfer
rate between 2 megs per second and 10 mps. Do you think that if I buy
a slower card, that it would slow down the operation of the camera?
There is a mode where it can shoot an AVI movie 640 x 480, 30 frames
per second, which would be a lot of data to transfer.

2. This camera shoots an AVI movie, rather than mpeg. My understanding
is that AVI movies are not compressed, which makes them bigger. I
would rather store the movies as mpeg so they take less room on the
hard drive. Is there some easy way to convert them from AVI to mpeg?

3. I am trying to decide how big of a card to get. Does anyone know how
much memory a 30-second clip of an AVI movie would take (640 x 480, 30
frames per second)?

Thanks again!
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:09:50 PM

<johngilmer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
> A510. It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
> obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
> seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
> this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:
>
> 1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
> the camera.
>
> 2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
> and put it in the reader.
>
> Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
> for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
> or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?

I prefer to connect my camera to the pc using usb - ok, it's slower than
using a card reader, but then I normally do some other work, while the
pictures download.
I don't like the idea of ejecting/inserting the CF-card in my Canon A70 each
time I have to download pictures. Avoiding this I don't risc breaking the
CF-card-mechanism in the camera.

> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 7:10:50 PM

johngilmer@yahoo.com wrote in news:1117638005.041565.63740
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Thanks everyone for the responses..... I have a couple more questions.

It would have been better to open a new thread.

> 1. When I buy a larger SD card, does the transfer speed really matter?

The two are unrelated.

> For example, I have seen that I could buy a card that has a transfer
> rate between 2 megs per second and 10 mps. Do you think that if I buy
> a slower card, that it would slow down the operation of the camera?
> There is a mode where it can shoot an AVI movie 640 x 480, 30 frames
> per second, which would be a lot of data to transfer.

My Nikon 7600 states explicitly that in that movie mode, the recording
may be stopped if the card is too slow. It doesn't say what speed is need
though ...

> 2. This camera shoots an AVI movie, rather than mpeg. My understanding
> is that AVI movies are not compressed, which makes them bigger. I
> would rather store the movies as mpeg so they take less room on the
> hard drive.

Both may be compressed or uncompressed. There are even various
compression types that still retain the same extension. It's a jungle out
there.

> Is there some easy way to convert them from AVI to mpeg?

Yes, there are programs that convert from AVI to mpeg and vice versa.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:23:46 PM

johngilmer@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am planning on buying my first digital camera, a Canon Powershot
> A510. It says I can use either SD or MMC memory with it. I will
> obviously buy a bigger card than the 16 MB one that comes with it. It
> seems like there's not a big difference between MMC and SD. Once I do
> this, I suppose there are two ways to get the pictures on my PC:
>
> 1. Connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable that comes with
> the camera.
>
> 2. Buy a card reader and then take the memory card out of the camera
> and put it in the reader.
>
> Is this correct? I would think option #2 would probably be easier. And
> for a card reader, I could either buy one that plugs into a USB port,
> or one that plugs into the PCMCIA slot on my laptop. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yes. You will find that the MMC cards are a bit harder to find, and
offer no real advantage for their higher price.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

johngilmer@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the responses..... I have a couple more questions.
>
> 1. When I buy a larger SD card, does the transfer speed really matter?
> For example, I have seen that I could buy a card that has a transfer
> rate between 2 megs per second and 10 mps. Do you think that if I buy
> a slower card, that it would slow down the operation of the camera?
> There is a mode where it can shoot an AVI movie 640 x 480, 30 frames
> per second, which would be a lot of data to transfer.
>
> 2. This camera shoots an AVI movie, rather than mpeg. My understanding
> is that AVI movies are not compressed, which makes them bigger. I
> would rather store the movies as mpeg so they take less room on the
> hard drive. Is there some easy way to convert them from AVI to mpeg?
>
> Thanks again!

AVI movies ARE compressed, but not as efficiently as .MOV files, for
instance. Buy a good card with speed in the 4meg/second range, and a
USB 2 Hi-Speed card reader or Firewire card reader to speed transfers.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!