$1200 future build (May-June)

thesh0gun

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: May- June 2012

Budget Range: $1200 - $1300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, music recording/editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts:

Case: NZXT Phantom White Full tower ATX

Motherboard: ASrock Extreme3 Gene3 Z68 LGA 1155 ATX

CPU: i5 3570k Ivy Bridge (i5 2500k successor)

GPU: HD 7950/ GTX 670 Ti (Will be the nVidia if it's better or equal)

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance

PSU: Coolermaster 700w 80+ Bronze modular

HDD: WD green 1TB

Aftermarket Cooler: Hyper 212+

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No / Maybe (In a couple of years)

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

So what do you guys think, any bottlenecks? And is there an FPS change from 1920 x 1200 to 1920 x 1080?

Solution
An SSD is one of the best investments to make for a faster pc. It is one of the few that actually make noticeable changes in boot up time, program load times, and such things. Western digital black drives are pretty fast...I've got 6 of them...they are nice.
The other thing is a new 3TB HDD, those are pretty fast too, but expensive. Low price wise though, I would just stick with a solid 500GB HDD, 7200 RPM, the more cache the better, and reliable.

The most important thing I want to say though is that you really should come back like a week before you are going to buy, SSD prices are going to drop, new motherboards are coming out that are better suited for Ivy Bridge CPUs, along with better this and that, and cheaper this and that. Its...

g-unit1111

Titan
The only serious bottleneck in that system is going to be the 1TB Green HD. A 5900 RPM HD as your primary will slow your system to a crawl. It's fine if you're using it as secondary storage - an SSD would be ideal for your primary, but not a green drive.

You can't really put together a system with prices yet seeing as how the CPU you want to use isn't out yet. It will be tough to build systems until the new hardware starts trickling out.

thesh0gun

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

What's the lowest price HDD you would suggest? Because I'm not buying an SSD. Replace the CPU with the i5 2500k then.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
An SSD is one of the best investments to make for a faster pc. It is one of the few that actually make noticeable changes in boot up time, program load times, and such things. Western digital black drives are pretty fast...I've got 6 of them...they are nice.
The other thing is a new 3TB HDD, those are pretty fast too, but expensive. Low price wise though, I would just stick with a solid 500GB HDD, 7200 RPM, the more cache the better, and reliable.

The most important thing I want to say though is that you really should come back like a week before you are going to buy, SSD prices are going to drop, new motherboards are coming out that are better suited for Ivy Bridge CPUs, along with better this and that, and cheaper this and that. Its like 3 months away. This going to be a lot of changes in that amount of time especially with the release of new Intel CPUs and nVidia GPUs.

Solution

thesh0gun

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I saw that the WD black 7200 RPM is down to $129 so I'm gonna buy that. Yes I will revise here before buying, thanks.