Intel Pentium G620 Or Phenom 940 ?

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hi Guys :)

Just wanted to get new CPU for my Bro ! Something that will handle new games at Medium Or Higher Settings !

Intel Pentium G620 has Great Benchmarks @ anandtech.com While it has just 2 Cores ! But Its SB So Good Performance is Expected !

Now Please Compare it with

Phenom II 910 , 920 & 940 ! In Anandtech G620 is faster than all . Whatta Hell ? DualCore Beats Whole does Quad Cores ?
in one hand newgames need QuadCore to run Faster but In Otherhand THat G620 Proves Against that .

Im Totaly Confused which one to go for ! need Help :??:

oh by the way PSU is 430 Watt Real + Geforce 9600GT 1GB Running on that rig & + 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM !

Solution

for gaming, the dual core sandy bridge pentium is better than phenoms...

rdc85

Honorable
Yeah Sandy bridge faster, PII only will give a challenge if u O.C it so if u go with pII go with BE one....

If the main purpose the computer is gaming still better to chose dual core sandy (G8-- or i3--), if it multi purpose go with pII BE. (if u O.C. the pII it will a par with i3)

U may want to consider to sell your ram, and change it to DDR3.. (DDR2 price still high since some people still need it but later........)

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
You Mean I Still can Keep those 800Mhz DDR2 Rams ? i tought i have to change them due to compatiblity issues !

Because Right now , Stuffs got so Expensive Because of Crisis in My COuntry ! thats why i worry about price & wanna get CHEAP & BEST !

Ok right now im running BF3 On Lowest Settings But With Little Slowdowns & lags ! how much this Upgrade can help me ?

Intel e2160 > G620

for gaming, the dual core sandy bridge pentium is better than phenoms. phenoms have to be overclocked to meet or beat pentium's performance. check out this sub $200 cpu round up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120.html
the pentium is good for offline, single player games. for online multiplayer games, the phenom will have slight advantage.
most games are not properly optimized softwares. they only use 2 cores of a cpu. some use all 4 cores but then phenom's single threaded performance (compared to sb pentium's) holds them back at stock settings. anandtech's tests are carried out on stock cpu settings. the tom's article i linked has overclocked comparos.

Solution

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Oh man ! It Performs so Close to my 955BE ( my Current CPU ) ! Both in your Link & Anandtech's Results !

Well He Doesnt DO Online Gaming & all we do is playing LAN Or COop ! I Feel G620 is High Jump from E2160 & will make noticible difference .

Oh by the way if i get G620 or MAYBE G8xx , ill Grab a New VGA card by the time ! my Question is What should i Pick to Create Balanced Setup & performance ? I mean Playgames with minimal Bottleneck ? Oh Of course im so Sure that Intel ( specialy SB series ) wont Cause no Bottleneck . But balance is always Important :D

er.. i should point out that imo phenim ii x4 b.e. to sandy bridge pentium is sidegrade. iirc you didn't say what cpu your brother is currently running (or i might have missed it). if his phenom ii x4 can be overclocked, it should be.

the sb pentium will cause bottleneck more or less if you use a powerful enough gfx card. check out this month's $500 gaming build that uses a sandy bridge celeron with a gtx 560ti:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-do-it-yourself-geforce-gtx-560,3216.html
a hypothetical 'balanced setup' might be the combination of intel core i5 2500k with any gfx card or core i3 with radeon 6950/7850~ or lower or pentium g800 with radeon 6850/7770~ or lower.
it comes down to your budget, requirement and preference.

no. sandy bridge (and most modern cpus) pentium supports ddr3 ram. check intel's website for more detailed info.
no question is stupid. if you have something in your mind, ask away. people will help you within their scope of knowledge. :)

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
If your brother has a AMD overclock it, if your going with Sandy bridge your going to need a motherboard, ram,and if it were me at least a I-5 processer, if you gotta spend save and spend a little extra (although with the right board the 620 can be upgraded at a later date

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Thx De5_Roy ;)

Well , No i think i mentioned that my bro is Using Intel E2160 1.8Ghz , IM USING 955BE !

His Current Setup is this :

GIGABYTE P31 + Intel E2160 + Geforce 9600GT 1GB + 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz + 430 Watt Real PSU

For Now I cant Do much but Upgrading CPU + RAM + Mainboard for him ! Later Ill Add NEw VGA card + Better PSU & Case & ...

& im not sure if stuffs will get more expensive due to Crisis in my Country ! thats why i wanna do a Cheap Upgrade & in the Same time Worthfull . since its E1260 I think jumping to G620 or 8xx will be BIG ENOUGH MOVE ! & later i might add 7770 or 6850 .

Thats Why i wanna know if G620 + H61 is Good Decision ? Or AMD has Budget QuadCore CPU that will be better or Equal option to G620 ?

1.Will G620 + H61 or 67 + DDr3 2x2GB Require NEW PSU ? ( Current one is 430 REAL )

2. Later if i add 6850 or 7770 will i get any bottleneck ?

3. Can G620 Make Noticible Difference In gaming Experience ?

4.is there any AMD X4 CPU that WIll be CHeap & Gr8 & smthing Close to G620 ?
Because AMD Setup will Cost Less & PLUS Ill get 4 Cores Instead of 2 ! But Fast CPU Like G620 is Important too ( CONFUSED )

moving from a dual core to another dual core is not much of an upgrade imo. unless you're strapped for budget. check out these benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/69?vs=406
the noticeable improvements are in video encoding, gaming and synthetics. if you don't run those softwares, you might not notice a lot of improvements. gaming does seem to show improvement though.

right now, g620+h61 is a locked upgrade path. ivb is already out and if you want to upgrade your cpu later, you might have to choose between sandy bridge or ivy bridge quad cores or change platform when haswell comes out. i should also point out that h61 chipset allows no overclocking except the integrated gpu. so getting extra ghz out of the cpu down the line will not be an option. pentium by itself is a decent entry level gaming cpu, that's all.
amd's phenom ii x4 cpus will show improvement when overclocked to 4+ ghz. it will meet or beat pentium in gaming. it will show noticeable improvements in multithreaded tasks such as video encoding. overclocked fx cpus will show improvements in multithreaded tasks but not in gaming. amd's current cpus are powerhogs. your brother's generic entry level psu might not be able to handle one at load. the psu needs to be replaced anyway if you want to put in a new gfx card. try a seasonic s12ii 520w/antec neo eco 520c/corsair builder cx 500 v2.

short answer - not much. the cpu is not power hungry, h6x platform allows no cpu overclocking, only igpu overclocking.
i didn't understand what is 430 real. is that a brand or meant to say ' continuous 430w output'? still, the brand name or model would be more helpful. if it's something like iball/zebronics/coolermaster extreme power plus then an upgrade might be in order.

it depends on the task. in single player offline games, you might not. google any benchmarks for pentium g620. most games are gpu bound, so the gfx card might run out of gfx power before cpu bottleneck kicks in.

depends on games and what you're comparing to. check the at link. the more powerful cpu contributes to higher minimum fps which results in smoother gameplay experience.

imo amd's phenom ii x4 line up comes close to pentium/core i3 level gaming perf when overclocked. but that's only when you're using a powerful gaming gfx card i.e. a card that's too powerful for the cpu like a gtx 680 or radeon 7850/7970. with a less powerful gfx card like 6850 or 6870, the cpu choice might not make much of a difference. for example,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136.html
here a core i3 and fx 4100 were tested with different gfx cards with a target fps as goal.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Thx for answers .

Im not Gonna OC anything NEVER ever :D ! i dont wanna risk so lets talk about Stock VS Stock ! & No he Wont DO ANy ONLINE gaming with tones of units & No special software or Multitasking .

Since you accept ANANDTECH benchmarks then you probably hv seen that G620 is even faster than Phenom 940 & slower than my Phenom 955BE !

you guys wont accept GREEN PSU Brand , because its not Global or Something Common in other Countries . but It works Realy Gr8 in here ! i mean EVeryone uses Green in this COuntry , Stable & Real Wattage . but other PSU s dont get used that much Due to Stability Issues

im not gonna expect much till i get new PSU + GFX .

You know what is confusing ? in some games Phenom 940 beats G620 & in other ones G620 beats 940 ! i dont know what happens that one of them are not faster than other in allgames !is it matter of CPU intensive Games or GPU intensive ones ? or Need of More Cores ?

& sry it took so long to i understand & make right Decision according to ur useful info :D !

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
& can you explain why G850 is FASTER than My CUrrent Phenom955BE ?

Its just a Dual core with less CLock & less Cache size & less Cores . so what the hell ?

It somehow shows the power of intel . that even Budget DualCore Intel CPUS beat Does QuadCores . It makes me even more sad because i own AMD CPU . i shd have get i5 2400 !

if the game favors cpu cores over ipc or architectural improvements, then phenom can beat the pentium. it's not that confusing. games are usually poorly optimized softwares. most of them are console ports. most of current games use two cpus cors, some use 4 or more. check these two benches for example, in one the dual core meets an octo core and beats some quad cores -
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/129
in another, the hex core (twelve cores with hyperthreading) leads an octo core which in turn leads a quad core -
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/336
it's be useful if you mentioned in which benchmarks the phenom beats the pentium.
i've heard that some local psu brands tend to be decent. it's true i've never heard of 'green' brand. if it has 80+ certification, active pfc and good reliability, it should be a good psu. sometimes pc's with modest configurations will run fine on a low end psu but when it's upgraded with more power hungry components, the psu should be replaced with a known good one.

phenom lineup's architecture is old and compared to sandy bridge pentium's, outdated. intel has had three lineup releases after phenom iirc - nehalem, sandy bridge and now ivy bridge. they brought improvements with each new release. since most current games use two cpu cores, they tend to favor pentium's two stronger cores over phenom's. games that favor more cores would favor the phenom over pentium regardless of clockrate or architecture. you can get more performance out of the phenom if you're willing to add a good cpu cooler and overclock your cpu. if future games add support for more cpu cores, those will run better with quad core cpus.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Oh Got it , thx alot for Information , i Convinced him to Wait 4now maybe things get better & i cd buy Good QuadCore CPU or atleast dual Core + HT.

But for Now i feel that best & cheapest Decisions wd be G620 or 8xx !

Thx man you helped me out ;) .

if the game can't use hyperthreading (afaik most games cannot) then dual core cpu with ht would still be used like a typical dual core. this is why quad core core i5 has distinct advantage over core i3 and buying an i7 (4 core + ht) cpu for gaming adds very little to the performance.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Oh thx , thats another clear answer, Esrever . So since this topic hasnt been closed yet Then i wanna ask another stupid Question :D !

Now that i have Phenom 955BE + 6870 . according to some of words of DE5 roy . if i upgrade to i5 2400 . ill see no difference in games right ? i dont say im not satisfied , all games run like Water . just if i felt that my game is 40 50 fps ( im not talking about Crysis ) & i wanted to bring it to 60-70 or More then Should i go for better CPU ( i5 2400 ) or Stronger GPU ( any thing better than 6870 ) ? or Crossfire setup ( im afraid of it , Huge Risk ) ?

Im Not Trying to upgrade since im Rly enjoying my Gaming Rig , just wanted to know more . i mean what does rly Effect on game FPS ?

i think the 6870 will bottleneck before the 955 b.e reaches it's limit in current games.
i5 vs phenom is different from pentium vs phenom. even with overclock, the phenom may have trouble reaching i5's stock performance in cpu dependent situations if you use both cpus with a powerful gfx card like gtx 680 or radeon hd 7970.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-9.html
by using a less powerful gfx card, the gpu reaches its limit before the cpu does so performance is balanced.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I think i got it . not sure :D . Ok how about my System ? is it Balanced ?

Oh that post of u confused me a little , i rly dont know if my system is balanced , what change will make it rly Unstable I mean will Cause Bottleneck ?

i think u better dont answer this one :D . my Little Mind cant Process such hard Things . i mean i know nothin about Balance , cpu & gpu limitations , bottleneck . what will make difference & what will not in which condition . its pretty much a book . so dont waste ur time bro. ill stick with what i have right now