Problem with PC not booting but turning on.

kogo50

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Today I replaced my case for my the PC that I built for myself a few months ago. Everything is powering on but it is not displaying anything and i notice my keyboard led which normally comes on right as the bios comes up is not on. I did have some trouble getting it to even turn on at first but i fixed it by messing around with the CPU power connector. I still think that is the problem. To me it seems like the CPU isn't getting power. I'm not sure whats wrong though. When I first built the PC I had trouble with that connector. It was shorting out the system because for some reason it lets me put the connector in any way I want so I had it in the wrong way. I know its not plug in wrong this time. Can anyone help me?

kogo50

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Specs

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

CPU Cooler
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus with one fan on it

Motherboard
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Video Card
ZOTAC ZT-50401-10L GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

SSD
Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model

PSU
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply

OS
Windows 7

Case
NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Sounds to me like you blew up the motherboard or the PSU when you had the CPU power connector plugged in the wrong way. It also could have damaged the CPU. Basically what you did was connect 12V directly to ground. I would suggest that you replace all three and get it working first. Then, if you are willing to risk it, you could try checking out the original CPU by plugging it in to the new working system.

kogo50

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Yeah I was worry about that. I used a 4 pin extender so that it would reach and the extender also let you plug the PSU 4 pin connector any way you want without telling you the way it should be. So even though I had the end that plugs in to the motherboard in the right way the extender wasn't. I don't think the PSU need to be replaced based on the fact that it powers everything else just fine but maybe the motherboard does need replace which is something I wanted to do some time soon. I'm going to mess around with it some more today and see what I can do.

TRENDING THREADS