Slow DNS resolving...

Have used XBox Live for quite some time and connections have always been
almost instantaneous.

Over the last couple days, however, the XBox has just began taking quite a
bit of time (~10 seconds) to resolve DNS. Strange, as in the past the DNS
IP was resolved practically instaneously. Ten seconds may not seem like a
long time, but after being used to establishing a connection practically
instaneously, it is a little annoying. (Not to mention that now, on a rare
occassion, its failing to resolve the DNS IP all together.)

Google and deja searches came up with other postings regarding DNS
resolution problems with the XBox, but no real solution.

Strange, as nothing on my end has changed between the time when DNS was
coming up instantaneously to the slight delay now:

XBox plugged directly into a D-Link DI-764 router (with latest firmware)
with straight-through CAT5. IP's automatically resolved on XBox by the
router's "static" DHCP table:

XBox IP: 192.168.0.116
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

All the IPs (except for DNS) are still instaneously resolving on the XBox.
After the delay with DNS, the XBox connects to Live as quickly as before.
No network changes before/after the XBox started becoming slow to resolve
DNS. I've tried using manually entered IPs for DNS on the XBox with both my
gateway IP and my ISP's (Roadrunner) DNS IP -- with no effect as it still
takes a little while to resolve.

Router's firewall looks good. Ports for the XBox are open. Ohmed out
ethernet and coax cables -- they all look good. Tried another CAT5 cable
with XBox anyway, with same results. Laptop plugged directly into router
gets all it's IPs (including DNS) with no delay. Router's DHCP is also
working just fine with everything else over-the-air to include a couple
desktops, a PS2 (ethernet-wireless bridge),, Dreamcast (broadband adapter +
wireless bridge), a Media Center, a PDA, ect. Only the XBox is experiencing
this strange delay with DNS.

The only change that I can think of was that after going to download new
content with a game, it stated something to the effect that Live needed to
be updated. It then dropped to the dash and went to download, but it
appeared that it discovered that the Live update it wanted to be installed
was already installed -- and went back into the game (allowing content to be
downloaded just fine afterwards). At the time, I thought that was a little
"strange" as I knew that the most current Live was already downloaded and
installed. After dropping to the dash, it didn't appear to download and
install though. It appeared to have only done a "check", saw that the Live
version it wanted was there, and went back into the game without
downloading/installing. This particular game was either "Crimson Skies" or
"Ghost Recon", (sorry, I can't remember which it was). This was the first
time I went online with this particular game, so at the time I didn't think
much about the "version check" it performed. I have to wonder now,
however, if this activity may be linked to the DNS behavior currently
experienced.

This "DNS Delay" is definetly not a network problem, but something going on
with the XBox. I'm wondering if I can re-install Live from the starter kit
(year old) and do an update again. Anyone come across this strange behavior
and found a solution?

Thanks!
16 answers Last reply
More about slow resolving

    Eras wrote:

    > XBox IP: 192.168.0.116
    > Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    > DNS: 192.168.0.1

    It looks like your router is your domain name server. Have you tried
    pinging it? Try this...

    Start -> Run on the open line type cmd and press enter.

    On the command line prompt type "ping 192.168.0.1" and see what kind of
    response you get. It couldn't hurt trying a tracert out to see what the
    response times are there as well. Try "tracert www.yahoo.com".

    Here's a sample of what a good one should look like:

    Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net [216.109.118.78]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms 10.8.227.235
    2 23 ms 11 ms 7 ms Loopback0.GW1.POR2.ALTER.NET
    [137.39.3.117]
    3 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms 121.ATM2-0.XR1.SEA1.ALTER.NET
    [152.63.105.114]
    4 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 0.so-0-0-0.XL1.SEA1.ALTER.NET
    [152.63.106.225]
    5 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms POS6-0.BR2.SEA1.ALTER.NET
    [152.63.106.1]
    6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms
    bpr1-so-5-2-0.SeattleSwitchDesign.savvis.net [20
    4.255.169.6]
    7 13 ms 8 ms 8 ms acr1-so-3-0-0.Seattle.savvis.net
    [208.172.83.62]

    8 72 ms 71 ms 70 ms dcr1-loopback.Washington.savvis.net
    [206.24.226.
    99]
    9 71 ms 71 ms 71 ms bhr1-pos-10-0.Sterlingdc2.savvis.net
    [206.24.227
    ..106]
    10 71 ms 71 ms 71 ms 216.109.84.166
    11 70 ms 71 ms 70 ms ge6-1.bas2-m.dcn.yahoo.com
    [216.109.120.221]
    12 72 ms 72 ms 72 ms p15.www.dcn.yahoo.com [216.109.118.78]

    Trace complete.

    remove the router for a test
    xbox directly to your broadband modem
    see if this changes anything

    Eras wrote:
> [...]
    > installed. After dropping to the dash, it didn't appear to download and
    > install though. It appeared to have only done a "check", saw that the Live
    > version it wanted was there, and went back into the game without
    > downloading/installing. This particular game was either "Crimson Skies" or
    > "Ghost Recon", (sorry, I can't remember which it was). This was the first
    > time I went online with this particular game, so at the time I didn't think
    > much about the "version check" it performed. I have to wonder now,
    > however, if this activity may be linked to the DNS behavior currently
    > experienced.
    >
    > This "DNS Delay" is definetly not a network problem, but something going on
    > with the XBox. I'm wondering if I can re-install Live from the starter kit
    > (year old) and do an update again. Anyone come across this strange behavior

    First thing i would do is go to static addresses and manually input a
    public DNS server for your XBOX. Not your router/gateway as that should
    not be able to transalte DNS for you. Use Road Runners DNS or another
    public one. If that does not work but all of your other devices work
    then try a new port on your router. After that i would plug the xbox
    directly into your cable modem and see if the problem persists. If not,
    you got routing issues. Best of luck

    Post back and let us know

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > It looks like your router is your domain name server. Have you tried
    > pinging it? Try this...

    Yeah, I did try pinging the router (192.168.0.1) and it responded just fine.
    Turnaround was 1 millisecond and thats even from going over-the-air
    (802.11a) with a laptop. I just tried it again with the same results.

    > Tracing route

    Didn't think of doing a traceroute until reading your reply, but just did a
    couple as well. One from a command shell and the other using Neotrace Pro.
    Traceroutes (Yahoo, Microsoft) look great. DNS IP on the laptop is
    192.168.0.1..

    Thanks for the reply! (Going to try plugging the XBox directly into the
    cable modem next and see what the results are there.)

    Cheers!
    -ES

    "maiznblue" <unknown@unknown.com> wrote

    > First thing i would do is go to static addresses and manually input a
    > public DNS server for your XBOX. Not your router/gateway as that should
    > not be able to transalte DNS for you. Use Road Runners DNS or another
    > public one. If that does not work but all of your other devices work
    > then try a new port on your router. After that i would plug the xbox
    > directly into your cable modem and see if the problem persists. If not,
    > you got routing issues. Best of luck
    >
    > Post back and let us know

    Hi,

    Yeah, I did try using a static DNS IP (Roadrunner's DNS IP) with the XBox,
    but the results were the same.

    Didn't think of trying to plug the XBox directly into the cable modem and
    seeing the results though. Going to give that a try next.

    Thanks!
    -ES

    "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca> wrote

    > remove the router for a test
    > xbox directly to your broadband modem
    > see if this changes anything

    Going to give that a shot right now. Didn't think of that until reading
    replies, but obviously using the router variable makes complete sense. :^)

    Thanks!

    I just ran the XBox directly through the cable modem and the results
    paralled going through the router.

    XBox connected directly to cable modem (did a power cycle on cable modem
    first even) yielded same exact results as with going through the router:

    Using DHCP on XBox: All IP's (except for DNS) are resolved practically
    instaneously. DNS resolution has same lag as before.

    Using all static IP's (local, subnet, gateway, both DNS's) on XBox: Same
    exact results as doing DHCP above. All static IPs entered on XBox were, of
    course, the correct public IPs.

    As a comparison, I tried the same thing above with a laptop connected
    directly to cable modem:

    Using DHCP on laptop: All IPs (including DNS) are resolved practically
    instanteously.

    Using static IP's in TCP/IP properties on laptop (same public IPs as used
    with XBox test): All IPs (including DNS) are working practically
    instanteously.

    Pinging Roadrunner's DNS servers with laptop yields an average turnaround
    of about 5ms. Looks good.

    Strange. This should rule out the router as the problem and (perhaps) the
    ISP's DNS servers. Looks like this "DNS lag" must be with the XBox, unless
    there is something funky going on with Roadrunner's DNS servers creating the
    DNS lag only with XBoxes. Cable modems coax and power supply are both going
    through a surge protector, so doubt the XBox's ethernet port got fried.
    (I'd be inclined to believe that it it were, then it would have problems
    with everything -- not just DNS. Plus, router would've taken the hit before
    the XBox anyway.)

    Oh well. There isn't really anything left I can do now. Think I'll just
    wait a few days and if it's still having the DNS lag, email Roadrunner.
    (Course, they'll probably just direct me to Microsoft, but..) Not really a
    "major problem", but is a little annoying after being used to going online
    so quickly (practically instaneously) as before. :^)

    Thanks for the replies! (Especially about hooking up directly to cable
    modem!)

    Cheers!
    -ES

    Just tried a few additional public DNS IP's with the XBox (still directly
    connected to cable modem) and they all yield the same exact "DNS lag"
    results. As comparison, tried the same DNS IP's with a laptop (directly
    connected to cable modem) and it works as expected.

    It has to be the XBox. As the router has been ruled out, I have the XBox
    plugged back into the router. DHCP is enabled with the XBox again,
    including DNS. (Router gives the XBox 192.168.0.1 for DNS server, but thats
    fine -- router has DNS translation functionality. Everything on my network
    uses the router gateway for DNS without problem.)

    I'm now even more "suspicious" about that "Live Update" check that "Crimson
    Skies" or "Ghost Recon" peformed. Can't help but wonder if it attempted to
    install something, but only did so partially and corrupted the Live software
    on the XBox. Haven't done any google/deja's yet, but assuming (hoping?) it
    is possible to do a complete total re-install of Live?

    Thanks for the inputs. :^)

    For what it's worth, XBL has been dog-ass slow for me the past week or so.

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:45:23 GMT, "Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote:
    >Didn't even consider
    >the most obvious: Live just temporarily having some problems. :^)

    Well, Live has been fine for me lately and I've played lots of Halo 2.
    It's been as snappy as ever. Maybe it's your ISP, or more likely a
    router somewhere between your ISP and Live. Skye could be going
    through the same router, thus experiencing the same problems.

    The Other John wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:45:23 GMT, "Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote:
    >
    >>Didn't even consider
    >>the most obvious: Live just temporarily having some problems. :^)
    >>

    > Well, Live has been fine for me lately and I've played lots of Halo 2.
    > It's been as snappy as ever. Maybe it's your ISP, or more likely a
    > router somewhere between your ISP and Live. Skye could be going
    > through the same router, thus experiencing the same problems.

    I am using COX Communications and over the last month I noticed that it
    takes a little longer for me to connect to Xbox Live also. I think
    something may have changed somewhere. I haven't been getting disconnects
    at all or drops. Just issues when connecting. (For example if I just go
    to my friends list through the dashboard). It used to connect almost
    instantly as you were stating above. I haven't really had a problem
    though. Just my 2 cents after reading your post.

    faustus

    All is back to "normal" again. (I.e., connecting practically
    instantaneously.)

    Started working again smooth as glass after Live performed "preventive
    mantainence" yesterday...

    > Well, Live has been fine for me lately and I've played lots of Halo 2.
    > It's been as snappy as ever. Maybe it's your ISP, or more likely a
    > router somewhere between your ISP and Live. Skye could be going
    > through the same router, thus experiencing the same problems.

    Nah, wasn't the router. I ruled that out. Looked like it was Live since as
    of yesterday (after they performed "preventive maintenance"), it was working
    as smooth as before..

    Cheers,
    -ES

    "faustus" <faustus@faustus1.net> wrote in message
    > I am using COX Communications and over the last month I noticed that it
    > takes a little longer for me to connect to Xbox Live also. I think
    > something may have changed somewhere. I haven't been getting disconnects
    > at all or drops. Just issues when connecting. (For example if I just go
    > to my friends list through the dashboard). It used to connect almost
    > instantly as you were stating above. I haven't really had a problem
    > though. Just my 2 cents after reading your post.
    >
    > faustus

    Hi,

    I noticed that you posted the above on the 15th. Is it working any better
    now for you? Live has been back to normal for me after they performed
    "preventive maintenance" on the 15th.

    Cheers,
    -ES

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:49:53 GMT, "Eras" <none@nospam.none.not> wrote:

    >> Well, Live has been fine for me lately and I've played lots of Halo 2.
    >> It's been as snappy as ever. Maybe it's your ISP, or more likely a
    >> router somewhere between your ISP and Live. Skye could be going
    >> through the same router, thus experiencing the same problems.
    >
    >Nah, wasn't the router. I ruled that out. Looked like it was Live since as
    >of yesterday (after they performed "preventive maintenance"), it was working
    >as smooth as before..

    I didn't mean your router, I meant some anonymous router in Topeka
    that decided 60% of all its traffic should be destined for Mars. I
    used to play EverQuest a lot, and those types of problems got blamed
    on SOE all the time, even when there was literally nothing they could
    do about it.

    Not saying this is definitely the case here, but it looks possible to
    me. There are three points of failure when dealing with the Internet:
    your end, their end, and the rest of the world.

    Glad its working for you now though :) Could've been due to the
    maintenance (maybe it was a router on their end that handled traffic
    from a certain percentage of the net), or it was just a coincidence.
    Troubleshooting the Internet is a major PITA at times. (I sometimes
    have to do it profesionally.)

    "The Other John" <spamblock@blockit.com> wrote

    > I didn't mean your router, I meant some anonymous router in Topeka
    > that decided 60% of all its traffic should be destined for Mars. I
    > used to play EverQuest a lot, and those types of problems got blamed
    > on SOE all the time, even when there was literally nothing they could
    > do about it.
    >
    > Not saying this is definitely the case here, but it looks possible to
    > me. There are three points of failure when dealing with the Internet:
    > your end, their end, and the rest of the world.
    >
    > Glad its working for you now though :) Could've been due to the
    > maintenance (maybe it was a router on their end that handled traffic
    > from a certain percentage of the net), or it was just a coincidence.
    > Troubleshooting the Internet is a major PITA at times. (I sometimes
    > have to do it profesionally.)

    Ah. My apologies, I misread your reply. You mean the REAL routers and not
    my silly little gateway. :^)

    Yeah, its been working great again.

    Cheers 'n beers!
    -ES