Advice on building a gaming computer for a newbie

Sc2Fan

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hi everyone :hello:, I am currently looking into building my own gaming rig. For the past few years, I've been using a very weak machine to do my gaming, and I've finally decided it's time for an new computer. My budget is around $1000, and I don't need any accesories such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, ect.

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to building a gaming PC, so I could really use some advice. I don't plan on doing any video rendering or Photoshopping, I just want a PC that can play modern games on high settings without FPS drops. I don't want to do anything crazy like multiple graphics cards, either. I would like my new computer computer to future proof, and to be able to OC it.

After doing some research, I found this site that has a custom PC build inside of my price range. Here it is. (Sorry about not having links, I couldn't quite figure out how to add them.)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Intel Z68 ($140)

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K ($220)

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) ($45)

Video Card:
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB ($230)

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1 ($30)

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($115)

Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc 24x DVDRW Drive ($18)

Case
NZXT M59 Gaming Mid Tower ($50)

Power Supply
Corsair Builder Series CX600 (600W) ($50)

Total Cost: $873 (USD)

I am COMPLETELY open to any advice on these parts. Would this be a good build for a modern day gaming PC? I also read that Cool Master cases were very good for gaming. Is this true? If needed, I would be more than happy to chock up another $100-$150 for anything I would need (fans,cooling, better GPU). Any advice would be much appreciated.

-Sc2Fan

traumaiv

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Looks great all id do is get a better psu only because i read somewhere that the CX 600 series only runs truly at 430 but could be a myth. now a days sound cards arent really needed so your fine without one. anything else seems solid. :) if you really want to fork over another 50 or so bucks id get the 560 ti 448 cores, theres a article on here that benchmarked it OVERCLOCKED and it was almost head to head with the 580.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127615

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130758

either are great the msi has better cooling though because of the dual fans :)

Sc2Fan

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the dual fan card. One thing I am curious about is what kind of case I should buy. Should I just go with the build case, or should I spring for a higher end one? I heard that cooler master was good.