What is EDGE?

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
May 13, 2005 6:19:13 PM

Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
network begins to use it?

More about : edge

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 1:08:12 PM

turtle schrieb:
> Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
> web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
> problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
> network begins to use it?

It's a data accelwerator (for GPRS) only, so voice won't be affected.

--
Michael Schmidt
University of Siegen, Germany

turtle schrieb:
> Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
> web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
> problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
> network begins to use it?

It's a data accelerator (for GPRS) only, so voice won't be affected.

--
Michael Schmidt
University of Siegen, Germany
http: www.dcs.uni-siegen.de
e-mail: schmidt _at_ nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
May 14, 2005 4:06:21 PM

"turtle" <turtle-may-05@october.nulluser.com> wrote in message
> Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
> web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
> problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
> network begins to use it?

EDGE Stands for Enhanced Global Rates for Global Evolution :)
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 5:15:41 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 14:19:13 -0700, turtle
<turtle-may-05@october.nulluser.com> wrote:

>Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
>web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
>problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
>network begins to use it?

It's kinda sorta like 1xRTT, but different.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 12:04:54 PM

Isn't EDGE supposed to be:

Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution ? :-)

It is basically an enhancement to the GSM and TDMA wireless communications
systems that increases data throughput to 384 Kbps. Kind of analogous to the
1XRTT enhancement used on CDMA systems, somewhat faster though.

SS

"www.simcard.me.uk" <webmaster@(remove_the_spam)simcard.me.uk> wrote in
message news:1116068782.5825.0@damia.uk.clara.net...

> EDGE Stands for Enhanced Global Rates for Global Evolution :)

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 8:50:03 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:04:54 GMT, "SS" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>It is basically an enhancement to the GSM and TDMA wireless communications
>systems that increases data throughput to 384 Kbps. Kind of analogous to the
>1XRTT enhancement used on CDMA systems, somewhat faster though.

My experience has been (at a minimum) similar speeds with 1xRTT, but
usually 1xRTT seems to have the edge with speed. (no pun intended)
!