What is EDGE?

Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
network begins to use it?
6 answers Last reply
More about what edge

    turtle schrieb:
    > Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
    > web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
    > problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
    > network begins to use it?

    It's a data accelwerator (for GPRS) only, so voice won't be affected.

    --
    Michael Schmidt
    University of Siegen, Germany

    turtle schrieb:
    > Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
    > web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
    > problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
    > network begins to use it?

    It's a data accelerator (for GPRS) only, so voice won't be affected.

    --

    "turtle" <turtle-may-05@october.nulluser.com> wrote in message
    > Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
    > web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
    > problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
    > network begins to use it?

    EDGE Stands for Enhanced Global Rates for Global Evolution :)

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 14:19:13 -0700, turtle
    <turtle-may-05@october.nulluser.com> wrote:

    >Is EDGE just used for faster data transfer rates for data calls and
    >web browsing? Or is it also used for voice calls? Will it be a
    >problem in the future if your phone doesn't support EDGE and your
    >network begins to use it?

    It's kinda sorta like 1xRTT, but different.

    Isn't EDGE supposed to be:

    Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution ? :-)

    It is basically an enhancement to the GSM and TDMA wireless communications
    systems that increases data throughput to 384 Kbps. Kind of analogous to the
    1XRTT enhancement used on CDMA systems, somewhat faster though.

    SS

    "www.simcard.me.uk" <webmaster@(remove_the_spam)simcard.me.uk> wrote in
    message news:1116068782.5825.0@damia.uk.clara.net...

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 08:04:54 GMT, "SS" <info2knospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >It is basically an enhancement to the GSM and TDMA wireless communications
    >systems that increases data throughput to 384 Kbps. Kind of analogous to the
    >1XRTT enhancement used on CDMA systems, somewhat faster though.

    My experience has been (at a minimum) similar speeds with 1xRTT, but
    usually 1xRTT seems to have the edge with speed. (no pun intended)

GSM