Sign in with
Your question

Need a good GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2011 12:27:03 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month, most likely
BUDGET RANGE: At the most, $250
USAGE: Gaming (Skyrim, MW2, Borderlands, BF3, etc.)
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Just got an ASUS M5A97 mobo and AMD FX 4 CORE BLACK EDITION. I plan to get the CM storm enforcer case.
PREFERRED WEBSITE: Newegg.com
OVERCLOCKING: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION:1280x800
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Can run games like Skyrim and BF3 on high settings without lag

I previously had the Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO, it does the job, but I get major lag in games like Skyrim. I was looking at these two GPU's, but I'm not sure if they'll be any better than what I've got now.

SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 6850

GIGABYTE RADEON HD 6850

They're both 6850, but that's a coincidence so don't think just about this particular series. Any speedy help is greatly appreciated.

More about : good gpu

a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 12:57:30 PM

I'd recommend you upgrade your monitor first.

Any decent video card (anything over 5770) is going to be a complete waste if your resolution isn't at least 1680x1050. Today's norm is 1920x1080 (1080p)

There's no great gaming satisfaction than a monitor. Just going from a 19" to a 22" is like night and day. You'll be drooling for weeks. I've seen 24" all week in the $150 range.
December 25, 2011 1:03:34 PM

I have a relatively new monitor. Got it earlier this year. It's an ASUS 19". I'm not looking for a new monitor, as I got mine not too long ago. I don't have the money to buy a new monitor at the moment. I'm looking to build a great gaming computer. Once I have the computer built and I'm ready to upgrade my monitor, I will do so.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 2:30:22 PM

Your not getting the point though. Anything faster than a 5770/6770 is going to be a complete waste of money at that resolution, even those cards won't see their full potential.

At 1280x800 most of the load is shifted to the cpu rather than the gpu.

So the point is, you DON'T need a good gpu.
a c 75 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 2:54:28 PM

the gigabyte one. but before that, how many amps do you have on your psu's +12v rail? your psu has to be able to support your components, otherwise no use getting the gfx card.
however, at your res, games tend to be cpu-bound, so make sure your cpu doesn't bottleneck your gfx card. overclock it with a good cpu cooler if you find any bottleneck because i suspect that the cpu you bought is an fx 4100.
for a great gaming computer - you need a balanced combination of components, which do not hold back each other.
!