  • Motorola
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
July 11, 2005 1:20:57 PM

I will be travelling to Colombia at the end of the year. I have a
Cingular branded V400. Can I use that in Colombia? Specifically, I was
thinking of buying a pre-paid plan at a company like this (sorry, it is
only in Spanish) who advertise a "3GSM" prepaid plan.

http://www.comcel.com.co/servicio_cliente3gsm/directori...

More about : motorola v400 south america

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:33:34 PM

First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier versions of
Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim card
who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it works,
then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for you.
I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use it as
it's a quadband phone.

http://www.mobileisgood.com

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p a8aq2-sv5.ln1@turf.coleman.com...
> I will be travelling to Colombia at the end of the year. I have a
> Cingular branded V400. Can I use that in Colombia? Specifically, I was
> thinking of buying a pre-paid plan at a company like this (sorry, it is
> only in Spanish) who advertise a "3GSM" prepaid plan.
>
> http://www.comcel.com.co/servicio_cliente3gsm/directori...

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:40:21 PM

> First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier
versions of
> Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim
card
> who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it
works,
> then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
> available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for
you.
> I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
> available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use
it as
> it's a quadband phone.

Do you think Cingular would be able to tell me if it is unlocked? I
don't really know anyone with service other than Cingular. My sister
has Verizon, but I don't think they're GSM.
July 12, 2005 11:54:28 PM

In <5uidq2-roc.ln1@turf.coleman.com> on Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:21 -0400, "Buck
Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier
>versions of
>> Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim
>card
>> who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it
>works,
>> then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
>> available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for
>you.
>> I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
>> available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use
>it as
>> it's a quadband phone.
>

>Do you think Cingular would be able to tell me if it is unlocked? I
>don't really know anyone with service other than Cingular. My sister
>has Verizon, but I don't think they're GSM.

Drop by a T-Mobile dealer or reseller, and borrow an active SIM for a brief
test.

July 13, 2005 11:52:26 AM

> Drop by a T-Mobile dealer or reseller, and borrow an active SIM for a
brief
> test.

Thanks for the idea.
!