Motorola V400 in South America

I will be travelling to Colombia at the end of the year. I have a
Cingular branded V400. Can I use that in Colombia? Specifically, I was
thinking of buying a pre-paid plan at a company like this (sorry, it is
only in Spanish) who advertise a "3GSM" prepaid plan.

http://www.comcel.com.co/servicio_cliente3gsm/directorio.php
4 answers Last reply
More about motorola v400 south america

    First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier versions of
    Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim card
    who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it works,
    then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
    available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for you.
    I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
    available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use it as
    it's a quadband phone.

    http://www.mobileisgood.com

    "Buck Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I will be travelling to Colombia at the end of the year. I have a
    > Cingular branded V400. Can I use that in Colombia? Specifically, I was
    > thinking of buying a pre-paid plan at a company like this (sorry, it is
    > only in Spanish) who advertise a "3GSM" prepaid plan.
    >
    > http://www.comcel.com.co/servicio_cliente3gsm/directorio.php

    > First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier
    versions of
    > Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim
    card
    > who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it
    works,
    > then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
    > available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for
    you.
    > I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
    > available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use
    it as
    > it's a quadband phone.

    Do you think Cingular would be able to tell me if it is unlocked? I
    don't really know anyone with service other than Cingular. My sister
    has Verizon, but I don't think they're GSM.

    In <5uidq2-roc.ln1@turf.coleman.com> on Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:40:21 -0400, "Buck
    Turgidson" <jc_va@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> First, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked. Earlier
    >versions of
    >> Cingular V400 came as unlocked. Just try to borrow somebody else's sim
    >card
    >> who has service other than Cingular and insert into your V400. If it
    >works,
    >> then your phone is unlocked and can be used anywhere where GSM service
    >> available. If it's not unlocked, you can ask Cingular to unlock it for
    >you.
    >> I hear, they will unlock for you. If not, there are online services
    >> available to unlock the phone. Once the phone is unlocked, you can use
    >it as
    >> it's a quadband phone.
    >

    >Do you think Cingular would be able to tell me if it is unlocked? I
    >don't really know anyone with service other than Cingular. My sister
    >has Verizon, but I don't think they're GSM.

    Drop by a T-Mobile dealer or reseller, and borrow an active SIM for a brief
    test.

    > Drop by a T-Mobile dealer or reseller, and borrow an active SIM for a
    brief
    > test.

    Thanks for the idea.

Cingular Motorola Internet Service Providers