Linksys BEFSX41 reboots on tracert

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
This is my second purchase, my last one bit the dust from a previous lighting strike, which this one is using firm version 1.50.18.

My internet browsing can be slow at times so I have tried doing a tracert just to get another problem with my router rebooting EVERY time I do it. The router comes back on on its own but this sucks if I can do a basic function such as tracert. Has anyone else ran into a fix for this?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
Router reboots on a tracert? Really odd.

Have you tried to upgrade or downgrade your firmware?

Have you tried pinging your router while running a tracert?

Ping -t 192.168.1.1 (endless ping until interrupted) and then do the tracert to see if the router is really dropping off?

Just a stupid thought though.. I had a similiar problem but it was my modem was dropping off for a fraction of a second causing stupid problems to occur when I was running apps.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I already ran that ping command and works fine. Just when doing tracert is when this happens. I'm gonna try the tracert with modem unplugged and straight to the modem too.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

G

you coudl try <A HREF="http://www.nscan.org/?index=tracert" target="_new">this</A> it uses UDP instead of TCP packet, might help you trouble shoot...Best bet would be to hunt a different firmwarei guess...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Im betting it to be a firm issue too and I dont want to use 3rd part app just for this problem. Linksys is issuing me a beta firm for my router but heard that it also has its shares of problems. Really thinking of getting a different router at this point.

G

With the price of routers nowadays it probably the best route to take!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

riser

Illustrious
Why not just go back 1 firmware revision? (if it's an option)

I'd try the new beta version before buying a new router though. Does your router need to be a VPN Endpoint? I'm wondreing if a setting within the VPN might be causing a problem.. in fact, it might even be expected behavior if the endpoint is compromised.. haven't read up on it though.