Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Vista 32 (pre-installed on laptop on purchase) to Win7 64bit?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 12, 2010 12:17:50 AM

Hey, I bought my laptop about a year ago with Vista 32-bit pre-installed even though it is capable of running 64-bit, and now I'm lookin to upgrade to Win7 and would like to make use of it's 64-bit capabilities. Is there any easy way of going about this? Since I got the computer with it pre-installed, it did not come with the 32/64-bit installation CDs for Vista. I can buy the Win7 64-bit upgrade CD from my campus store with my student discount, so I was hoping there would be a way for me to do this easily.

Thanks!
January 12, 2010 12:26:15 AM

A quick search in these forums will provide you with the answers...

Simply speaking you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS via the upgrade option. You will have to reformat the drive and then perform a full install of the 64-bit OS - don't forget to backup your data prior to the install!
January 12, 2010 12:26:36 AM

Yes, it will be a simple install, so long as you can find the drivers for all of the hardware. I'd check the manufacturer's site to see if they have any 64-bit 7 drivers, as it will be a cinch if they have them. Otherwise, you'll have to find out exactly what hardware you have, who makes each piece, and find the proper drivers yourself from the manufacturer's site.
Related resources
January 12, 2010 12:31:58 AM

Alright thanks, but my only problem with this is that the version that I can buy from my campus store is only an Upgrade CD, I cannot buy the full Windows 7 CD at the discount price. So in this case, I wouldn't be able to do it, would I? Because I'm assuming I can't reformat my hard drive with simply the Upgrade CD.

Sorry if any of these are stupid questions, I'm really not that familiar with software, but I appreciate your patience.
January 12, 2010 12:37:47 AM

Yes, you can still do the upgrade, although you can not do an in-place upgrade. You stick the install CD in and it will go through a few steps, restart your computer, then wipe the hard drive and do a clean install.
January 12, 2010 12:39:28 AM

EKurp said:
Alright thanks, but my only problem with this is that the version that I can buy from my campus store is only an Upgrade CD, I cannot buy the full Windows 7 CD at the discount price. So in this case, I wouldn't be able to do it, would I? Because I'm assuming I can't reformat my hard drive with simply the Upgrade CD.

Sorry if any of these are stupid questions, I'm really not that familiar with software, but I appreciate your patience.

There are no stupid questions..... :) 

Please refer to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit...

You should pop the dvd in and boot from the disk and away you go!
January 12, 2010 12:41:32 AM

Awesome man thank you so much, it really helps out a lot. I'm not exactly sure how to wipe a hard drive either though, is there a link or anything you can direct me to that would help me out with step-by-step instructions? Or could you help me out with it? Haha sorry for all the hassle with it.
January 12, 2010 12:42:46 AM

Ahhh sorry didn't see your comment until after I posted mine, Elmo. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help.
January 12, 2010 12:43:07 AM

EKurp said:
Awesome man thank you so much, it really helps out a lot. I'm not exactly sure how to wipe a hard drive either though, is there a link or anything you can direct me to that would help me out with step-by-step instructions? Or could you help me out with it? Haha sorry for all the hassle with it.

...just follow the prompts when you boot from the disk. It's actually quite simple. You can delete and create and format the HDD.
January 12, 2010 12:43:17 AM

The Windows installation disc will walk you through it. You just have to tell it which hard drive you want to use (it will give you a list) and then it will take care of the wiping / formatting / installing.
January 12, 2010 12:44:05 AM

jedimasterben said:
The Windows installation disc will walk you through it. You just have to tell it which hard drive you want to use (it will give you a list) and then it will take care of the wiping / formatting / installing.

...wow, you are quick.

:) 
January 12, 2010 12:46:55 AM

Thanks for putting up with my being a bit slow to pick up on this stuff, haha, appreciate the help guys.
January 12, 2010 12:47:42 AM

EKurp said:
Thanks for putting up with my being a bit slow to pick up on this stuff, haha, appreciate the help guys.

np!
January 12, 2010 12:48:09 AM

I actually just figured out that little box that sits at the top-right corner of the forum pages that has Profile, xx threads, and xx messages tabs keeps a list of all the pages you look at, respond to and such, and as I refresh, I see that someone has posted a reply in one of the threads and just click and it goes!
January 12, 2010 12:49:42 AM

jedimasterben said:
I actually just figured out that little box that sits at the top-right corner of the forum pages that has Profile, xx threads, and xx messages tabs keeps a list of all the pages you look at, respond to and such, and as I refresh, I see that someone has posted a reply in one of the threads and just click and it goes!

Nice!
!