I just recently built a system with the following components:

AMD FX-8120
Gigabyte 970A-D3
4GBx2 Corsair DDR3 1600
Seagate 2TB 5900rpm 6.0gb/s
Cooler Master 500W psu
Sapphire Radeon HD 6570
Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I've noticed that sometimes when installing programs or copying files, other programs (Firefox) will hang or freeze for a while, but the computer doesn't appear to be doing anything as the hard drive indicator isn't flashing. When this happens it usually last around 15 secs, CPU use increases, but only slightly. I have no problems when running programs or playing games.

This is kind of a minor problem but, I haven't noticed this happening on my older slower windows 7 computers, so I wanted to figure out what is going on. Any ideas about what is going, how to fix it, or how to troubleshoot it would be great. Thanks.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 4:30:15 AM

The processor, video card and even the ram are doing very little, but your hard drive is doing a lot. Basically you have several things trying to access the hard drive at once. Depending on who got there first, others may have to wait.

Couple that with the fact that your particular hard drive is kind of slow, and Windows is notoriously slow at file transfers.
February 24, 2012 4:47:49 AM

Thanks for the reply tlmck, I was thinking about the hard drive but wasn't seeing the hard drive indicator light flashing when this is happening.

Yeah, I opted for size over speed on the HD. Would a 7200rpm HD make a significant difference, or running the OS from a SSD?
Score
Related resources
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 4:49:21 AM

^ This.

You have Windows installed on a slow storage grade hard drive and it creates a bottleneck.
Score
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 4:50:59 AM

Even a 7200RPM drive would help. Any SSD is on another level from any mechanical hard drive.
Score
February 24, 2012 5:06:43 AM

Best answer selected by tonync_01.
Score
February 24, 2012 5:07:38 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'm in the market for an SSD now (should have go one in the first place).
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 6:01:01 AM

tonync_01 said:
Thanks for the reply tlmck, I was thinking about the hard drive but wasn't seeing the hard drive indicator light flashing when this is happening.

Yeah, I opted for size over speed on the HD. Would a 7200rpm HD make a significant difference, or running the OS from a SSD?

An SATA 6gb/s 7200rpm hard drive would help. Does not need to be a big one, but a 250gb is probably as small as you'll find these days. Just to run the OS and some programs.

An 120gb SSD would be even better, but more expensive. The 60ish gb SSD's will work also, but most folks find those hard to manage due to the limited space.

In any case, this article talks about setting up an SSD and a HDD, but the same can be applied to two hard drives. http://www.pcworld.com/article/237496/the_best_of_both_...
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 6:13:51 AM

One other option I would throw out there on the file copying is to use Linux. For whatever reasons that I have never understood, Linux does file copying faster than Windows.

There are two ways to go about this without messing up Windows. You could download and create a LiveDVD of Ubuntu, or some other distro. Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS are two other easy ones. basically you would boot from the LiveCD instead of Windows and then locate the files to copy and go for it. Once done you simply reboot, remove the DVD and back to Windows you go. http://distrowatch.com/

Another more semi permanent solution would be to install Ubuntu using something called Wubi. Basically this option comes up when you pop in the DVD while in Windows. What this does is install Ubuntu "into" Windows just like another program for the most part. When the machine boots, you are given the option of Ubuntu or Windows. You also do not have to allocate a lot of disk space for this. 10gb is plenty. The beauty of this is that if you want to later, you can "uninstall" Ubuntu the same as you would any other Windows program. No muss no fuss. Have not really kept up as to whether Wubi works with other distros.

Once again, just throwing it out there.
Score
February 24, 2012 2:07:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!