Sign in with
Your question

CPU,MOBO decision. HELP!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
June 11, 2012 4:31:23 PM

Hi guys i need help. I just don't know what to do, should i buy an MSI 870S-C45 FX for my current athlon II X3 445 and unlock its 4th core and overclock it with the special auto overclock feature on that board or should i just go with a random intel 1155 socket motherboard that's about the same price range as the 870S-C45 FX and get an intel i3 2100? I have a bottleneck because i have a Radeon HD 6850. Note: I know a new CPU and board are more expensive but i'm not sure will the unlocked and OC'ed athlon 445 get rid of the bottleneck, if not then i think that an intel i3 could but i would only take the second option if the athlon II will still bottleneck my system a lot like it does now

More about : cpu mobo decision

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 4:38:30 PM

There is no garuantee the athlon will unlock stable bear that in mind. If that happened you would have a nice new mobo but be wanting a new AMD CPU so factor in to your decision if the unlock fails you will likely want to spend $120 on a Phenom II
m
l
June 11, 2012 5:33:09 PM

wr6133 said:
There is no garuantee the athlon will unlock stable bear that in mind. If that happened you would have a nice new mobo but be wanting a new AMD CPU so factor in to your decision if the unlock fails you will likely want to spend $120 on a Phenom II

hah you read my mind about the Phenom II :D  i wanted to get a Phenom II X4 965 BE in case the unlock fails. but is it better than the i3 2100?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:30:01 PM

Gaming I think it is when overclocked but that question will draw different answers from many people :)  outside of gaming in apps that use the cores the Phenom definitely is better.

Best option I would say is save up and buy an i5 if you cant do that then the attempted unlock/Phenom II
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:16:54 PM

as far as i know, in gaming, the i3 wins far better if the it is dual core based and i3 can somehow match x6 in some apps...but if the game uses more than 2 cores or greter, the phenom will definitely win. i agree to wr6133 to save for i5 if you do not plan on upgrading for years :) 

you might wanna check for your reference :)  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312913-28-intel-2100-...
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:47:59 PM

wr6133 said:
Gaming I think it is when overclocked but that question will draw different answers from many people :)  outside of gaming in apps that use the cores the Phenom definitely is better.

Best option I would say is save up and buy an i5 if you cant do that then the attempted unlock/Phenom II

the i5 is too expensive for me. 170$ is the cheapest one i could find but its on the 1156 socket. phenom II 965 BE is 110$ on the other hand
m
l
!