Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WOOHOO NEW BUILD $1500-2000 budget

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2012 12:59:33 AM

Hi, thanks for looking at our build, please feel free to offer advice or alternative options. We're building our first gaming system (on an alineware laptop now).

Budget : $1500-2000 We have a 24in monitor and will get a new one if we stay in the lower range of the budget.

MOBO
ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3 TUF edition ($200)

CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K ($300)

CPU Fans
Corsair Hydro H100CPU Liquid Cooler ($110)

Graphics Card ($470)
Nvidia GTX 580

Ram
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB (4x4GB) ($100)

Hard Drives
Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB (64MB cache) ($230)
OCZ Agility 3 Series Solid State Drive 120GB ($120)

Optical Drive
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner ($80)

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ($160)

Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W ($100)

($1870)

Did we miss anything!? Thank guys, this community rocks!

Best solution

February 24, 2012 3:17:55 AM

It looks decent but could use a bit of tweaking. These would be my suggestions:

I do not like the Asus Sabertooth with the plastic covers blocking access to your PCI cards and everything else - it makes upgrading incredibly difficult.

And the OCZ Agility 3 is not a good choice for an SSD - they do not have the best reputation and rather rude technical support.

These things I would adjust:

- Ditch the liquid cooler - I don't recommend liquid cooling on pretty much any build - air is much safer where water is more likely to cause problems.
- Drop the 2600K to a 2500K - it's not needed for a gaming system. Invest the difference in upgrading your GPU.
- The case is major overkill - I'd adjust that accordingly.
- 16GB is also not needed for a gaming system - drop that to 8GB.

Try this for a $1500 - $2000 build:

Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $99.99
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - $109.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P - $189.99
CPU: 3.30GHz Intel Core i5-2500K - $229.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz 1.5V - $69.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $174.99
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM - $129.99
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 - $559.99

Total: $1,764,89

This build is $110 cheaper - you get a far more reliable SSD, you get a far better HD, PSU, and motherboard. I adjusted the CPU and RAM accordingly. You get a safer aftermarket cooler to overclock your CPU to 4.5GHz. Not to mention you currently get the reigning champ of GPUs right now - the Radeon 7970.
February 24, 2012 3:32:48 AM

Go with @g-unit1111 build. Its great.
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 4:13:34 AM

My suggestion would be in my sig. Dual HD7950's FTW!
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:33:30 PM

Thank you for the feedback! We will defeinatly take it. I think you're right on the water cooling system and overkill on the case and memory. We got excited :) 

Would you guys recommend a Blu-ray burner over DVD burner?
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:42:06 PM

Do you watch any Blu-Ray movies? I personally would not get Blu-Ray. DVD is still good enough for most movies.
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:46:33 PM

very big +1 for everything g-unit said.
m
l
February 24, 2012 5:03:47 PM

serialkiller said:
change that cpu case with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... beautiful case:) 

I have that case and I like it but it's so big that it might not fit underneath most desks. If you're going Corsair the Carbide 500R might be better suited to this build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Would you guys recommend a Blu-ray burner over DVD burner?

I included a BD-R burner in the budget (the same LG one I use). If there's something else you need you can drop it for now and get a cheap $15 DVD burner and put that money elsewhere. The main thing would be if it's hooked up to a 40" - 55" TV or to a 19" - 27" monitor. If it's hooked up to the monitor a regular DVD burner would do, if it's hooked up to a TV then I'd go for the BD-R burner. The other good thing the BD-R burner is good for is if you need to backup a lot of data - a dual-layer BD-R will hold ~50GB of data on a single disc where a DVD-R DL disc will only hold ~9GB.
m
l
February 24, 2012 5:23:10 PM

Why not go with Z68 Gen3 MB. That way you have option to upgrade to IVY in the future and take full advantage of PCI E 3.0... Also 2500k better deal if you OC the processor. If you are not in that, then choose cheaper processor save the money. So you can throw in the IVY when it comes out in next two months.
m
l
February 24, 2012 6:21:01 PM

devils_advocate said:
Why not go with Z68 Gen3 MB. That way you have option to upgrade to IVY in the future and take full advantage of PCI E 3.0... Also 2500k better deal if you OC the processor. If you are not in that, then choose cheaper processor save the money. So you can throw in the IVY when it comes out in next two months.

All Z68 boards have been updated with support for PCI Gen 3 - it's not just limited to the Asrock Gen 3. Don't buy the same part twice though - especially CPUs, I generally try to advise against that. If you build a system with an upgrade path in mind already it's really pointless to do so, you might as well wait. There's nothing worse than having to buy the same part twice, and I know from lots of experience.
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:22:43 PM

g-unit1111 said:
All Z68 boards have been updated with support for PCI Gen 3 - it's not just limited to the Asrock Gen 3. Don't buy the same part twice though - especially CPUs, I generally try to advise against that. If you build a system with an upgrade path in mind already it's really pointless to do so, you might as well wait. There's nothing worse than having to buy the same part twice, and I know from lots of experience.

Not sure what ASrock has to do with any thing... Personally i will never advice any one to go with them, unless they are under serious budget. I am sure there are alot of happy owners of ASrock. But i have had way too much problems with there board. My personal favorites are Asus and Gigabyte.

Also i was under the impression that Gen 3 isnt about Ivy as much as its about PCI-E 3.0. Great advice on the buying parts twice, especially for new builders or those running 1 or 2 computer at a time. Waiting always a really good option to get the best especially when we all know new stuff is just around the corner.

Personally i have 4 system running, not common for normal users. So i can just upgrade even in short time frame, and throw my salvage parts in my older system works our very well. :D 
m
l
February 24, 2012 7:49:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure what ASrock has to do with any thing... Personally i will never advice any one to go with them, unless they are under serious budget. I am sure there are alot of happy owners of ASrock. But i have had way too much problems with there board. My personal favorites are Asus and Gigabyte.

It seems people favor that board far more than some that are way better, the Gigabyte board that I linked to is the same one I have and I love it, it works great.

Quote:
Also i was under the impression that Gen 3 isnt about Ivy as much as its about PCI-E 3.0. Great advice on the buying parts twice, especially for new builders or those running 1 or 2 computer at a time. Waiting always a really good option to get the best especially when we all know new stuff is just around the corner.

Yeah it's more about boards with PCI Gen 3 - Ivy will enable those for the newer video cards that are coming. Board manufacturers know they'd have a lot of unhappy customers if they released a product that wasn't compatible with the hardware they promised it would run.

The thing that I advise people with on waiting is the same thing Maximum PC advises and that is if you keep waiting for new, you're always going to be waiting and then you're stuck with a P4 on a server where people who are running the latest and greatest are yelling at you to get off. Moore's law states that something better is always going to be around the corner, and it's best to just buy now and then be satisfied with what you have, even though you know something better is coming along.
m
l
February 27, 2012 11:52:35 PM

Best answer selected by jamparke.
m
l
!