Sign in with
Your question

What to look for in a router?

Last response: in Networking
March 13, 2011 4:20:49 AM

What specs should I looking at for a good router?

More about : router

March 13, 2011 4:43:26 AM

Depends on your requirements, what are you using it for. Gaming, streaming videos, etc?
m
l
March 14, 2011 3:11:39 AM

just moderate use around the house, what specs should i looking for range, speed, etc.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2011 5:06:46 AM

but any like guidelines to what I should be looking for in general?

I'm asking how to tell the difference between a cheap router and a good one.
m
l
March 14, 2011 1:37:31 PM

Quote:
Its depends on you and your requirements
Whats you need and also your system capacity. I think you must consult with a network administrator.

Yeh and pay a $200 call out fee:) 

Basically, It really depends on what devices you have in your house, what requirements you need for them etc.

If you have a Wireless Network Media Player with Wireless-N, you should go for a Wireless-N Modem/Router

If you need to have a high bandwidth between computers on the same network you would want to go for a Gigabit router.

Basically, answer these questions:

1. Is this your first router, or are you seeking a replacement, if so why?

2. What devices do you have in your house, Wireless and Hardwired devices

3. Do you have a standalone modem available, or are you seeking a Modem/Router with a built-in Modem?

4. Are you particularly Networking savvy? Are you bothered with the details or do you just want something up-to-date and good for the money?

5. Any additional requirements please detail in your reply

I'm here to help you, and I wont stop at "Contact a Network Administrator" as It kinda defeats the purpose of my existence on this forum if I wasn't here to help.

Anyways feel free to ask me any questions you like.

Thanks
Axxeon

m
l
March 14, 2011 7:30:22 PM

1. first router
2. I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops and a ps3
3. i have a standalone modem and what is a modem/router? is that provided through your service provider?
4.I'm not network savvy but I would like to be.
m
l
March 14, 2011 10:43:38 PM

You pretty much always get a Modem/Router from your ISP, it's just a Router with a built in Modem, so you don't need a standalone modem.

Basically, you want a good ROUTER, you'll get a good Router, if you want a good Modem/Router, you'll get a shitty Router with a built in Modem

For a Modem/Router I would definitely go for the WAG320N, may be out of your price range but it's nice

For a Router, well I've got the Linksys E3000, that's awesome, retails for about $180
m
l
March 15, 2011 3:19:42 AM

none of the answers have answered my question. What specs should I be looking at for a good router?
m
l
March 15, 2011 6:14:21 AM

OK!!!

The things want to to look for, Gigabit LAN, Wireless-N, Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless, etc.

The thing is I don't know what you need, and there is no point telling you something is good in a router if you don't use it.

We can't answer your question when you give us limited information. It's not our fault we're not psychic.

The things I recommended above are for someone who does a lot of network sharing.

A good Router = Gigabit, Wireless-N, Dual Band Simulteneous Wireless etc.

A decent Router (Something that Is fine for a normal user) - Fast Ethernet ports, Wireless-G (or single band wireless-N), etc

Once again, Im trying my best to help you with what information you've given me.

Tell me what you need it for, Then I can answer your question straight up.

Thanks
m
l
March 16, 2011 11:08:43 AM

I've ben hearing good things about the Cisco E3000 also. The Netgear 3800 is coming out soon and my Netgear 3700 is quite beast, but it has had its own share of firmware bugs.
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:52:13 AM

axxeon said:
OK!!!

The things want to to look for, Gigabit LAN, Wireless-N, Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless, etc.

The thing is I don't know what you need, and there is no point telling you something is good in a router if you don't use it.

We can't answer your question when you give us limited information. It's not our fault we're not psychic.

The things I recommended above are for someone who does a lot of network sharing.

A good Router = Gigabit, Wireless-N, Dual Band Simulteneous Wireless etc.

A decent Router (Something that Is fine for a normal user) - Fast Ethernet ports, Wireless-G (or single band wireless-N), etc

Once again, Im trying my best to help you with what information you've given me.

Tell me what you need it for, Then I can answer your question straight up.

Thanks

Hi. I've been suffering my Netflix and my lap top drifting in and out. I have an old modem....probably 2005 era. and a new router I paid 49 bucks for a year ago. The old one didn't want to reach the bedroom but it didn't conk out on me periodically. the new one does. One television. A desk topand a lap top. Can you advise on a new router or whatever?
m
l
!