Disabling zip file integration in Win Explorer

In WinXP's Windows Explorer, zip files are treated like
folders: they appear in the left pane (tree view) and you
can open them directly from there.

I hate that function since I have lots of zip files and it
clutters up the left pane. How can I disable it?
7 answers Last reply
More about disabling file integration explorer

    Hi Thelo,

    Click on Start>Run and type the following and press enter:

    regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

    This will unregister the zipfldr.dll file which handles the ZIP files in Windows XP.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Thelo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:167d01c4a743$6115e9d0$7d02280a@phx.gbl...
    > In WinXP's Windows Explorer, zip files are treated like
    > folders: they appear in the left pane (tree view) and you
    > can open them directly from there.
    >
    > I hate that function since I have lots of zip files and it
    > clutters up the left pane. How can I disable it?

    Thanks, that worked :)

    You are welcome !

    --

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:277b01c4a813$e1bbe910$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, that worked :)

    Actually, I've now found that after a while, the zip files are again treated
    as folders, as if the system "repaired" the settings somehow... Is there a
    way to make that change permanent

    "Thelo" <Thelo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<56DA94BE-43D1-48EF-942F-5A6C7A8E0A5D@microsoft.com>...
    > Actually, I've now found that after a while, the zip files are again treated
    > as folders, as if the system "repaired" the settings somehow... Is there a
    > way to make that change permanent

    In my case, after unregistering the dll, the system continued to show
    zip files on a removable zip disk as folders (they had Winzip icons,
    but selecting them displayed their contents in the right pane).

    Why the hell couldn't Microsoft have left the .zip extension alone
    when they came up with this zipped folders scheme? Do they always
    have to piss on someone else's parade?

    Does anyone know a better solution than just giving up on .zip files
    permanently?

    Best wishes,
    Don Leighty

    Hi Don,

    If they had the WinZIP icon, then they are being handled by WinZIP and not by the Windows Explorer through zipfldr.dll

    --

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O3kqi09sEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > If they had the WinZIP icon, then they are being handled by WinZIP and not by the Windows Explorer through zipfldr.dll
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<O3kqi09sEHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > If they had the WinZIP icon, then they are being handled by WinZIP and not by the Windows Explorer through zipfldr.dll
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee

    Why then are the zip files displayed in the the left pane at all (and
    their contents in the right pane), Anando? I'm using a fairly old
    (pre-WinXP) version of Winzip, and doubt that it's trying to imitate
    XP's compressed folders behavior. And yet, the zipfldr.dll was
    supposedly unregistered successfully.

    File associations show me that the "zip" extension is being handled by
    Winzip -- and was, even before I tried unregistering the dll -- but
    this does not seem to eliminate XP's compressed folders treatment of
    these archive files. It just makes it erratic and unpredictable.

    For example, I created a folder on my Iomega zip disk (which is being
    managed entirely by XP as a "dumb" removable drive, no Iomega software
    installed). I then added several subfolders, zip files, and normal
    files to it. Next, I made a sibling copy of that test folder.

    What happens defies explanation. Selecting folder "A" shows its zip
    files in the left pane. Selecting identical folder "B" shows the zip
    files as normal files in the right pane. It's this erratic behavior
    that's driving me nuts.

    Don Leighty

Configuration Windows Explorer Zip Explorer Customization Microsoft Windows XP