adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I am building a budget gaming pc. My budget is about $450. Will intel graphics HD-4000 be enough? I play civ IV, minecraft, and internet games. Other components are 8 gigs ram, a 450 watt power supply and a 500 gig hard drive.

Solution
Hey there! I plan on doing the same with my upcoming build, I'll be using the Intel HD4000 to do some light gaming until I'm able to buy a good GPU in the winter.

If you are doing light gaming, I think the HD4000 is ok. The games you listed do not sound too graphically demanding. I'd try them on medium to low settings. You'd definitely want to get a better GPU in order to play the latest and upcoming games at a high setting.

I use YouTube to look at HD4000 tests and it seem to work well with Just Cause 2 (for reference).

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Uh nope. That's like saying you should have really fast internet if you have a $500 router and a super cheap service. Most games just need a decent dual core and good graphics cards. Games almost never rely on as much processing power as they rely on graphics power. An i7 at 10GHz won't do you any good if you're using integrated graphics. An i3 with a decent $100 dollar graphics card will always do better.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

What I'm trying to say is that they are extremely different and you can't "make up" a lack of one in the other.

chetorch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hey there! I plan on doing the same with my upcoming build, I'll be using the Intel HD4000 to do some light gaming until I'm able to buy a good GPU in the winter.

If you are doing light gaming, I think the HD4000 is ok. The games you listed do not sound too graphically demanding. I'd try them on medium to low settings. You'd definitely want to get a better GPU in order to play the latest and upcoming games at a high setting.

I use YouTube to look at HD4000 tests and it seem to work well with Just Cause 2 (for reference).

Solution