JohnnyS

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hi,
Since my mobo doesnt have onboard graphics is there anyway that I can use my i5 2400 graphics for it as a substitute? I have only 1 PCIE x16 slot with my graphics card and Im planning to take it out to put my wireless card(Linksys PCIE x16) in it. Here's my mobo http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0359807. Merry christmas all!
Thanks,

depends on what you give more priority - the wireless card or the discreet gfx card.
the core i5 2400 has intel hd 2000 igpu which is suitable for most basic tasks like everyday web browsing, video watching, some word processing. intel motherboards don't have on board gfx anymore, the igpu has been moved to the cpu. the display outputs are on the motherboards that support igpu use (h61, h67, z68).
what gfx card do you have?
if your discreet gfx card is more powerful (most likely) then keep the card and use a pcie x1 or usb wireless card if possible.

JohnnyS

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I have a ATI x300 video cards. I was really planning to buy the video card the day after christmas because of the sale so im really stuck now. Since i5 2400 has HD 2000 can I use that and take out my video card to make slot for my wireless card? Im planning to buy Wireless Card x1 and a video card tomorrow so im just gonna need to run my computer today for GPU/PSU/Wireless card shopping and youtube.

according to this hierarchy chart, the hd 2000 is better than the x300.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-7.html
you can take out the gfx card and use the hd2000 for the time being. make sure you have enough ram because the igp will share system ram.
on how to use the hd 2000, look into your msi motherboard's manual. also check tom's forums.
make sure you uninstall previous card's drivers and take necessary steps before you install intel's gfx drivers. get them from intel's website if the motherboard's drivers are old (most likely).