GPU for a sub $2000 Video Editing PC

Anathema0205

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Next 2-3 weeks

Budget Range: Less than 1500 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Primarily used for Video editing in adobe premiere pro CS 5.5 and After Effects, as well as photo editing, and I would really love to play Skyrim

Parts Not Required: NA

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter.com

Parts Preferences: Mid tower size

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (in the future)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I would prefer it to run quiet and cool
Parts I’m planning to purchase:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 LGA 2011 Boxed Processor
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Socket 2011 X79 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL 9 DIMM Deskt... x2
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"...
SSD: OCZ Technology Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 60GB SATA...

I'm planning to build a PC that will primarily be used to edit video. I've been researching obsessively, but the GPU question is just confusing. I know adobe has a list of cards that work with premiere pro, but I cant seem to find one with the right price to power ratio. Is there one that anyone would recommend that would work better? I looked at the nvidia quadro and ATI firepro, but, at least to me, the specs on these cards for the price don't seem to compete with the gaming cards.
Any advice would be appreciated as well as any suggestions on where I might tweak the components I'm already looking at.

Solution
The Quadro and Firepro are not for gaming. They are strictly workstation cards made for dedicated editing, CAD, and other stuff. They are made to take some of the processing "heat" off of the CPU as they are faster. A popular card for a combo editing/gaming type rig would be the 2gb GTX 570. It supports CUDA for the editing, and is a quite excellent gamer. The 2gb also helps with the editing for storing textures, etc...

Some folks even run dual cards such as the 570 for games, and a Quadro for editing. For Skyrim, you could bet by with the 560 Ti and fill out with a Quadro.

tlmck

Distinguished
The Quadro and Firepro are not for gaming. They are strictly workstation cards made for dedicated editing, CAD, and other stuff. They are made to take some of the processing "heat" off of the CPU as they are faster. A popular card for a combo editing/gaming type rig would be the 2gb GTX 570. It supports CUDA for the editing, and is a quite excellent gamer. The 2gb also helps with the editing for storing textures, etc...

Some folks even run dual cards such as the 570 for games, and a Quadro for editing. For Skyrim, you could bet by with the 560 Ti and fill out with a Quadro.

Solution
The newer cores with on-board video can provide pretty impressive acceleration to video applications that will use them instead of your GPU. Look into Quick Sync: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/quick-sync-video/quick-sync-video-general.html .
You need a specific motherboard to use Quick Sync for video editing and have a discreet graphics card. Tom's had articles about these when they came out, but I don't have any good links for you.

But I think it's a great way to do budget video editing.