Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Amd Cpu for my gaming build

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 11, 2012 5:27:24 PM

I need to find a Cpu for my Build

4GB DDR3 Ram

AMD 6850

Cooler Master Elite 341 m-ATX Mini Tower Case Black

500 GB Hard drive

460W coolmaster

now all i need is CPU any ideas?

More about : amd cpu gaming build

a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 5:30:00 PM

Did you buy all the pieces already?

I think you're missing a motherboard too.

Is there any reason you want to go with AMD? Intel is much superior and cheaper today.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 5:32:23 PM

No pacific reason but i have bad experiences with Intel an picked mobo but not bought

looking for something within 150$ Range
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 5:35:17 PM

At $150 you could get a really nice Intel CPU which will be unmatched by anything AMD has to offer.. Are you sure you would not consider it? I don't know what kind of issues you had but it must have been bad luck.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 5:39:26 PM

Sure why not im not a Fanboy its all about performance
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 5:57:10 PM

I3 it is but wont it only being dual core hurt it? i knows its faster than most Amd cpus but logic says 4 is better
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:01:59 PM

No need to get it complex, AMD 980 BE and 975 BE are great gaming chips than the whole Thuban and Zambezi series, the OP does have a HD 6850 even if with HD 7970 there's no bottleneck.

The major disadvantage of AMD CPUs show in RPG games which require a faster CPU.

there's no difference between $1000 CPU and $150 CPU when it comes to GPU intensive games ;

When it comes to CPU intensive games such as WOW, there's a bottleneck but never falls behind 60 FPS which is the target any one seek with a single GPU setup. Also, Overclocking allowing more and more out of the CPU.

Those benches were with a GTX 680.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:03:23 PM

I understand that. However, I still think you should try to get the best performance for your money :) .
m
0
l
a c 344 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 11, 2012 6:04:56 PM

Quote:
I3 it is but wont it only being dual core hurt it? i knows its faster than most Amd cpus but logic says 4 is better


4 is better than 2 only if you can use 4.
But, few games use more than 2 or three cores. Intel cores do more work per clock cycle.
Read this article on < $200 gaming cpu's.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:05:29 PM

True. That was for sunius post.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:11:31 PM

@geofelt
Most modern games utilize more than 2 cores, I don't know what's the problem with the 975BE.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:16:13 PM

Quote:
@geofelt
Most modern games utilize more than 2 cores, I don't know what's the problem with the 975BE.


Except that cheaper i3 is faster.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 6:19:24 PM

I am mostly an Intel fan myself, however I do have 4 gaming rigs right now. My main one is obviously an intel, but the other 3 are all AMD because it is overall way cheaper (AMD mobos are generally cheaper plus you only need 2 sticks of memory compared to the 3 or 4 depending on the intel chip). My side-gaming rigs all have the FX-8120 in them (8 core CPU sale price of 149.99 at microcenter) and I have coupled with it a GTX 670 with no bottleneck at all.

So my vote is for the FX-8120
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:21:10 PM

Faster in what? Most benches and charts shows no difference between any Intel CPU and AMD CPU in case of gaming, look at the following, can you see the 975BE and 980BE in top of charts and very competing with the high end 2500/2600K which are the great gaming chisp?



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:22:55 PM

Quote:
plus you only need 2 sticks of memory compared to the 3 or 4 depending on the intel chip


Sorry but sandy bridge Intel CPUs will use 2 sticks of memory.

FX-8120 is really bad for its price :<. I'd consider it a viable option if it was the same price as i3-2100..
m
0
l
a c 344 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 11, 2012 6:23:16 PM

Quote:
@geofelt
Most modern games utilize more than 2 cores, I don't know what's the problem with the 975BE.

@ ilysaml
Here is one study to attempt to answer that question:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-ma...

As an ex programmer, I can attest to the increase indifficulty in writing an app for many threads vs. one or two.
Game developers want the largest possible market for their games, and have no desire for the added expense of implementing multi threading, or designing a game that requires it.
No doubt, that over time we will see more use of added threads.
In the near term, the path to better gaming is usually through a more capable graphics card.
There are exceptions, FSX comes to mind.
If the OP plays one game exclusively, then the build should be designed for that.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:23:26 PM

Quote:
I am mostly an Intel fan myself, however I do have 4 gaming rigs right now. My main one is obviously an intel, but the other 3 are all AMD because it is overall way cheaper (AMD mobos are generally cheaper plus you only need 2 sticks of memory compared to the 3 or 4 depending on the intel chip). My side-gaming rigs all have the FX-8120 in them (8 core CPU sale price of 149.99 at microcenter) and I have coupled with it a GTX 670 with no bottleneck at all.

So my vote is for the FX-8120

So you seem to be knowledgabe and know what you want, but the 980 BE and 975 BE particular CPUs are the best in all AMDs for gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 11, 2012 6:27:55 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section CPU & Components by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 6:29:33 PM

Sunius said:
Sorry but sandy bridge Intel CPUs will use 2 sticks of memory.

FX-8120 is really bad for its price :<. I'd consider it a viable option if it was the same price as i3-2100..



Yes but on the sandybridge architecture you are giving up true dual pci-e 16x, which makes me shiver. I'd rather have the i7 920 on the X58 architecture than that.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 6:30:19 PM

ilysaml said:
So you seem to be knowledgabe and know what you want, but the 980 BE and 975 BE particular CPUs are the best in all AMDs for gaming.

Oh, I completely agree, but those two chips are just a tad out of the price range of the OP.
m
0
l
a c 344 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 11, 2012 6:38:18 PM

jerubedo said:
Yes but on the sandybridge architecture you are giving up true dual pci-e 16x, which makes me shiver. I'd rather have the i7 920 on the X58 architecture than that.


Yes, there is a difference using X8, X8 but less than you might think. More likely, the cpu will be a limiting factor first.
Here is one such study. There may be newer studies with stronger cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-48...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2012 6:39:49 PM

@ jerubedo Actually I thought you're the OP, now i'm surprised :lol: 

I'll leave the choice for the OP then, no need to ruin this thread.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 6:06:41 PM

What about FX 4100 or Phenom 960T or X6 1045T
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 6:30:34 PM

Phenom IIs particularly are better for gaming, the per core of Deneb beats the per core of Thuban. so if you can find a 980 BE or 970 BE go for it, otherwise go for the Thuban 1045T.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 7:41:22 PM

no if you can't get a Deneb get the 960T its unlocked multiplier allows overclocking and at stock its speeds are higher than the 1045T anyway.... gaming doesn't need a 6 core (though the 960T may unlock to 6 cores)
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 7:47:29 PM

what about the FX 4100 OCed
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 8:02:21 PM

the phenom II's are better gaming CPU's than the FX
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 8:05:21 PM

Jasonhunterx said:
what about the FX 4100 OCed

Like Wr6133 said.

But yea when you OC it more you get a bit better performance, but still 4.6 Ghz won't make much difference from 4.0 Ghz in gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 8:07:09 PM

wr6133 said:
no if you can't get a Deneb get the 960T its unlocked multiplier allows overclocking and at stock its speeds are higher than the 1045T anyway.... gaming doesn't need a 6 core (though the 960T may unlock to 6 cores)

It's not Deneb, it's Zosma.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 8:40:10 PM

OK im leaning Towards FX in anticipation of Pile driver Cpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 8:57:23 PM

I know its zosma that thuban with 2 cores turned off i said to get that if you cant get deneb

For the OP though really don't get FX sit a phenom II on an AM3+ board its better and piledriver ready if thats your aim
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2012 9:16:35 PM

Jasonhunterx said:
OK im leaning Towards FX in anticipation of Pile driver Cpu

Don't put too much hope on PD, you won't feel a 15% increase in performance. Me myself putting a hope on Steamroller which supposed to be a noticeable gain, if AMD will fail us on steamroller I will switch to Intel Hasewell.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2012 7:52:31 PM

Yes AMD Steamroller is the upcoming chip in 2013, it should offer 30% increase over the current Bulldozer chips, AMD didn't state what socket type will be this CPU based on but let's hope it will offer more than 30% increase.
m
0
l
June 14, 2012 1:47:32 PM

OK i'm going with FX 4100 Price is only 110 so it leaves me room to spent on other parts like PSU
m
0
l
!