vegeta_ban

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Want to edit music and video, but also play some games as well. This is my first build and want it to last a while.

Jeremy

Intel i7-2600K

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 Dual Channel Memory

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1 GB DDR5 PCI- Express Video Card

Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5 SSD SATA 6Gb/s

Cooler MAster V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU cooler

Creative Labs SB0886 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Professional Series Sound Card

LG 10X Blu-Ray Reader & Writer + Super-MultiDrive
DVD/DVD DL/CDRW Reader & Writer - Serial-ATA
Internal With LightScribe Internal Black SATA Optical

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS

Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700-Watt power Supply

Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Computer Case

D

Deleted member 217926

Coolermaster power supplies stink for the most part and you only need 500 watts for that computer. Look for a Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax or Antec for a quality PSU.

If you can find it in your budget for a 120-128GB SSD you will thank yourself later not buying a drive you have to micromanage for space. The Samsung 830 is about the best drive on the market right now in reliability and speed.

vegeta_ban

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Would this be better, 600 watt in case i decide to add onto it later, gonna get the better gpu too

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms ATX 700 CMPSU-600CXV2

D

Deleted member 217926

If you are only planning on running a single graphics card a 550w power supply will allow you to upgrade to anything short of the highest end cards. If you plan on running 2 in Sli then 600 watts is not enough. You will need more like 750w to Sli 2 mid tier cards.

D

Deleted member 217926

No problem. Just my 2 cents I would get the PC Power and Cooling since having a modular power supply is amazingly helpful. Once you have one you will always want one.

vegeta_ban

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Do you have any suggestions on putting this together. I watched these videos,

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=relmfu

Also I plan on running dual boot Linux (probably Ubuntu) and Windows 7 Home premium. I will load the OS on the SSD and use the HDD for data only, I am most likely going to switch over to SSD for everything eventually (will take a while since i have approx ~4 Tb of recordings and photos i will have to transfer to ssd)

I have a large wood bar to work on, with wood floor so static should be nonexistent right (but i will still try what the Paul guy said with tapping metal before working on the mobo etc)...

Thanks again for the help so late in the morning :D

Cannot wait to have a good pc, I love my laptop ( 8gb ram, i5, 600 gb hdd, Wimax), but this should be a beast in comparison. I've been worried using the laptop for editing as i use it primarily to record live concerts from my microphones and an recorder. I rather keep it usage down outside of that setting, to keep it's life longer.

Anyway again thanks for the help :D

TRENDING THREADS