Wireless computer internet speed 16mbps, wired computer 0.4mbps

Will172

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I am with Virgin media and have the 20mbps fiber optic connection. My area has recently been having problems with the broadband and Virgin has recently fixed these problems. However I used to get around 19mbps now that the problem is fixed my computer which is wired to the router gets about 0.4mbps downstream... However the 5 wireless computers all get 16mbps which is pretty good for them.

I'm know a little about computers and have searched high and low for a solution. Windows tells me that its a firewall issue and I currently can't use two programs, spotify and steam. They both have firewall issues, even if I turn off my firewall which is the windows one. I also have avast, and when I turn that off, still no good. I used OpenDNS, stopped using that flushed my DNS, that didnt work. I tried to optimize my computer settings, by changing various values in Regedit (followed a guide online). All of this has done nothing.

I should add that I have recently re-installed Windows 7 so on this fresh install it has never had decent internet speed. Which I thought was weird.. I have basically had these problems since the fresh install.

So I am completely at a loss. I thought that it might be Virgin specifically slowing my computer down, but I have no idea if that is even possible and I am probably being paranoid...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Will172

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
No network card, its built in to the motherboard, its says I have a NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet.. I installed the latest drivers for everything when I did a fresh re-install. But no haven't tried different drivers, would know which ones to get.

Will172

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I am sure that my drivers are up to date, I double checked and I have all the right drivers installed. I have even re-installed them just to double check and still no luck.

What seems to be weird, is that sometimes from some websites I get good download speeds e.g. nVidia website. While the rest are bad. Same with programs, some work on my computer like itunes, anti virus updates stuff like that, but spotify says I have a firewall problem, and steam cant find a server to update from.

Will172

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I am sure that my drivers are up to date, I double checked and I have all the right drivers installed. I have even re-installed them just to double check and still no luck.

What seems to be weird, is that sometimes from some websites I get good download speeds e.g. nVidia website. While the rest are bad. Same with programs, some work on my computer like itunes, anti virus updates stuff like that, but spotify says I have a firewall problem, and steam cant find a server to update from.

Will172

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011