GTX 560 TI Shared ram issue.

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I have had issues with my GTX 560 ti stealing ram from my PC i have 3 gigs of ram and a 1 gig GTX 560 ti graphics card but when i go into the system to look at it it says it has 2.22gb of ram on the card...

i've heard that windows 7 does that automatically but i would like to know if it's possible to disable this since it makes playing games near impossible because it's causing black screening and Screen Tearing in games

I plan to upgrade to 8 gigs this friday anyway but i was wondering if there was any kind of fix for this until then.

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

let me add that i had this sort of issue with my other card as well an ATI 4670
I find it unlikely that both of these card are bad.

Your 560ti is not "stealing" or sharing memory, you are misinterpreting the information. Your issues are being caused by either your card overheating, or you simply got unlucky and got a bad card.

Just got that last part about having issues with the 4670 too. What about your PSU, and beyond that, you may have an OS or driver issue.

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

Yes this happens with both vsync enabled my power supply is a 580 watt.

GPU-Z is saying that it's at 30 degrees Celsius idle and maxes out at about 40 degrees celsius under load when gaming (Skyrim maxed out)

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

It's a 1 gb card but when i check system information it
's saying it has 2.22 gb

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I also think there may be some underlying problem with your gpu, Almost everyone I know has windows show that same type of shared ram thing so I doubt thats the issue. If the gpu is bad maybe the temp sensor is not working properly either, 30-40c sounds damn near impossible for a pretty powerful gpu like a 560.

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

Im going to go ahead and do a GPU stress test with FurMark and see if there are any issues and i'll post the results

I also wanted to point out that could it be a motherboard issue as well...could it be possible for one of the bridges or buses getting congested? Especially if the motherboard is older than the card?

halfchalupa

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
OK tested my card with furmark for 5 minutes with xtreme burn in and Post FX checked along with log GPU temp.

Did not once flicker or blackscreen or even artifact.

Temps seemed to stop rising at 75 degrees celsius.

Average FPS was 17.