Solved

Need upgrade advice - 4870X2 + 4870 -- still king for the money?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
Would like to purchase within the next month, can hold out for new tech though (7970?)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Games at 1920x1200 Resolution, currently BF3, CODMW, SW:ToR on the highest detail settings.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
Currently running two air cooled cards, a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB @ 750MHz/900MHz crossfired with a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB @ 750MHz/900MHz
Powered by a Rosewill Xtreme 950 Watt PS
Running in 3way Crossfire (confirmed through CCC and monitoring GPU load in games)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
MB: Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Proc: Intel I5-750 OC'd to 3.8GHz (air cooled)
Mem: 16GB DDR3 GSkill PC3-12800 running at XMP SPD
HD: 128GB Plextor SSD
Case: Rosewill Conqueror WSL

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
Newegg

PARTS PREFERENCES:
No preference at this time

OVERCLOCKING: Yes/ Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
So my situation is this, my current set up is still very viable for most anything I throw at it, I can crank the settings to the max in SW: ToR and enable 4x AA and 8x AF, as well as transparent texture AA, and the game looks absolutely stunning, and runs "fairly well" (~35fps avg, but with dips in the 20's that make it essentially unusable for my typical gaming). The other BIG complaint I have with my current setup is the noise.. that Sapphire X2 is LOUD! It hits peaks of 95 degrees under full load, and that gets that single fan screaming.. I find this to be very distracting considering my case sits on the desk right near me.

One alternative to changing the cards I had would be to consider getting a couple of waterblocks. One dual GPU block for th4e 4870 X2, and either a full face block or single GPU generic block for the 4870. I don't think I would need or want a full watercooling kit to cover the CPU or anything else, and I actually still have an old H20 kit that I could probably get working (has radiator, resevoir, fans etc, would need new hoses, couplings etc). The checking I have done so far however is sort of a downer, as the cheapest I can find just a couple of blocks starts at nearly $300 USD..

I hope that someone is in a similar spot and has any advice or insight on whether to wait it out, or wet it up! My budget isn't too much of a worry, although I wouldn't want anything less than a stellar upgrade in performance/silence if the cost would be more than $500-600.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need upgrade advice 4870x2 4870 king money
  1. Best answer
    Wait for the HD79xx series and decide then, in pure power not many more powerful solutions to what you have!
  2. Best answer selected by jallen18.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics