Something easy

awful8484

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hello,

I am very new to the hardware side of what I need, I just have an idea right now. I want to be able to share files across every computer in my house (5) and I want them to be able to access a single database (NAS). I have Server R2 already but I don't know if I need it. I am just looking for a home server solution for everyone sharing resources and be able to access from any computer my files also. There is so much stuff out there that I am getting misinformation now. Lists like Apache, Samba, FreeNas, R2, Ubuntu Server, SQL, DNS... the names go on and on. Im looking for an easy home network setup that I can access from the net if so inclined. Where do I start?

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Access from the net is where you are going to have to make your primary decisions of network topology. I would say this however - what computers do you want to be able to access those files? If you have a laptop that you want to take other places, but still access everything like your at home, I would look into a VPN option like hamatchi, or other VPN's. If you want to use somebody else's computer to access those files, now your getting more complicated.

With what you have now I should think your well on your way to setup shares for your local computers to browse and use, but the remote connections are where you need to be honest in how you want to access them.