Wanting to upgrade but cant decide

kyleorsini

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
hey everyone, wanting to upgrade my his 5770 its a little old, and with the new amd cards set to release soon and the nvidia later in the year (march i read hopefully?) i want a single gpu, i have a 24" sammy monitor 1920x1080, but wanting to get a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor soon. i have a corsair 600cx psu so it should be enough for a upgrade. im looking at making the jump to nvidia 570 im thinking. i like evga's 90day upgrade program but would that give enough time for the new series nvidias to be available. price isnt a huge issue but i dont feel spending the money on a 580/90 is worth it with new cards set to release, any help would be great id like to possibly take advantage of the boxing week sales up here in canada aswell.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Upgrading to a higher res monitor is exciting- I've been using a 2560x1600 30" since May. However, understand that it takes a lot more GPU horsepower to run games at high settings at these kinds of resolutions (and yes it does look really nice). There are games that you will not be able to max out with any single GPU, but with a 6950/560 ti or better, you should be in good shape. Also, if you don't play the handful of games that are very demanding, you probably can run things at very high settings. Really just depends on your budget (which may be impacted by a very expensive monitor purchase). Any specific games or types of games you're into?

Personally I'll be picking up a 7970 3GB when they're available. If 7950's are available for sale at the same time I may pick up a pair.

kyleorsini

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
current games im playing atm on the pc are bf3, which i can play fine on. i just suck at it haha! i played arkham city not long ago and it was terrrible, but i notice lots of people had dx11 issues iirc? havent played since. im thinking of picking up metro2033
budget is kinda not really set. i have no problem paying to play but i want something that is cost justified and going to last for a couple years. or well like i stated in the op, the evga 90day thing is quite nice.. im almost thinking of a 570 the cost seems right , this will be my first nvidia card, and my 5770 is my first card ive gamed with past pcs ive never really gamed.

The 6950 2gb will be the best option!

kyleorsini

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
just picked up a evga 570 2.5 gb, after MUCH back and forth i just said to hell with it and got it. wanted to do a 560ti sli but my mobo only supports xfire and upgrading my mobo now is pointless waiting for the new intel stuff to roll out later this year, and will eventually sli this card or get the kepler equivalent. wanted to try nvidia and the 7970 isnt highly stocked atm so 570 should be a nice upgrade from the 5770. thanks guys!