Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unattached SATA power cord

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2012 11:54:14 PM

Hi,
Google'ng PC issues I end up on this forum about half the time so thought maybe it was time to join the community. tom's really is one of the most helpful forums I have encountered. Thanks for that.

My question may seem pretty silly but I am not very experienced with computer hardware. Purchased a Crucial 512GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive to install in a Dell XPS 435MT cabinet using this power cable = StarTech.com PYO2LP4SATA 12in LP4 to 2x SATA Power Y Cable Adapter. My question is about the spare end, the other half of the Y.

Do I need to tape that up? Is it OK to just leave that end of the power cord to float around in the cabinet? That just doesn't seem safe. Perhaps there will be instructions provided with the cable. A thread on the Dell forum suggested there might be spare cables already in the box but I didn't want to take the chance so went ahead & purchased power & data cable. Why did I get a Y cable you might ask? Thought I was going to get two 256GB SSD @ first, already had the Y cable in the cart. Forgot to change that.

By the way the data cable is StarTech 18in SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable (SATA18RA1). Also using a SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter. The SSD comes with a transfer kit & have done a good deal of research @ both Dell & Amazon (the reviews there are quite useful) but if anyone here has any helpful hints before I get started they would be much appreciated. Other than RAM haven't fiddled around in a cabinet much.

Will be adding a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium PCI card too. Manual's instructions show that to be pretty straightforward. Have been told it will blow the on-board sound away.

thanks,
snoots

Best solution

a c 277 ) Power supply
June 12, 2012 12:00:43 AM

It is perfectly fine to leave it just hanging about, it is just a standard SATA power connector, your power supply like has a few open ones just hanging out and about too. The actual connectors are recessed within the plastic so they cannot contact that outside world and cause any issues.
June 12, 2012 11:44:17 AM

Best answer selected by snoots.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 12, 2012 11:53:30 AM

hunter315 said:
The actual connectors are recessed within the plastic so they cannot contact that outside world and cause any issues.

As long as you do not leave connectors dangling near protruding screws, metal tabs or other things that stick out in a way where it might get into the connector.

Most cases have zip-tie anchor points at multiple locations to make tying down loose ends simple and convenient. People worried about loose ends can use those to secure unused connectors away from anything that might short them out.
Score
June 14, 2012 6:27:07 PM

InvalidError said:
As long as you do not leave connectors dangling near protruding screws, metal tabs or other things that stick out in a way where it might get into the connector.

Most cases have zip-tie anchor points at multiple locations to make tying down loose ends simple and convenient. People worried about loose ends can use those to secure unused connectors away from anything that might short them out.

I will definitely do that. Hoping there will be an extra SATA power cord in the cabinet & won't need the two headed Y Adapter.

thanks
Score
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 10:27:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!