Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cooked 9800 GTX+ - Upgrade immediately, or wait for Kepler?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 25, 2011 9:03:19 PM

So, as in the title my 9800 GTX+ finally died this morning - the motherboard (an Asus P6T) gave one long beep then three short, which I believe is unfortunately a graphics card related error. I have another (broken) card which does not create the same pattern. So, I'm asking: Should I purchase a GTX 570 as a simultaneous replacement and upgrade, or should I pick up a £45 card and try my best to hold out for Kepler cards incoming? I tend to play many games at 1920 x 1200, and prefer my graphics set high! :)  My PSU is the PC P&C Silencer 750 W, I have 6 GB RAM and a core i7-920. I'm willing to spend £300 on the large upgrade card, your opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mach :) 
December 25, 2011 9:26:53 PM

Kepler won't be out for months. If you don't want to wait for the 7970 then just get a 570 now, and sell it later when Kepler comes out if you want.
December 25, 2011 9:57:51 PM

7970 is way over his budget. If a 7 series amd card, it should be either 7950 or 7870 (probably the best value choice). But again, they are not out yet.

If he sticks to Nvidia, then either 570 or 560TI. 560TIs have many well OCed out of the box versions and are great overclockers in general. They may become cheaper soon also, when AMD releases a full 7 series lineup (7970, 7950, 7870, 7850).
a b Î Nvidia
December 25, 2011 10:18:49 PM

Either a GTX570 or a GTX560Ti. If you are into heavy overclocking you might as well get a GTX570 and be happy with it than nuking a 560ti as the Ti usually tops out with nearly equal performance and power consumption to a stock 570.
!