Metro 2033 Lagging badly

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Hi there...

I have recently bought 2 MSI GTX560 Ti's Twin Frozr II that come with a nice OC of 58Mhz (880 vs 822) and i OC'ed them to 930Mhz, and i must say that i couldn't be more happy with them, they beat a GTX580 by 40% and the HD7970 by 10% in 3Dmark11 on the extreme preset and by a larger margin on performance which only makes this problem even more weird.
I bought them 2 days ago and i decided to start throwing heavy games at them, warhead, bf3 and metro 2033 all at 1920x1080 with everything set to the max and MSAA 4x, and metro 2033 is running at 60~70 fps but that is only until... i trip on a can... or fire a single shot... or thouch anything else... then the fps drops into a ridiculously low 1~2 per second, i believe this has something to do with physics engine, possibly drivers or a patch problem... Does anyone know anything about this?

And by the way... while testing these cards with bf3 i managed to get an average always between 70~90fps with everything maxed out but i need to disable motion blur otherwise the game drops to 15~20fps... i don't actually like that game so it doesn't bother me much but it does bother me the fact that i spent 400€ on these cards and i expected to see them handle any of these games with ease and that is simply not happening but with stupid things... Having everything maxed out on BF3 with a constant 70~90fps but then start lagging when we enable motion blur is nothing short of frustrating.... believe me...

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

EDIT: Check my specs on my profile if needed...

surprise, 2 560's are NOT better than a 580 even though benchmarks will show more FPS. The architecture is completely different. You're going to have to futz with the game settings until you find out what's holding you back. i would first try going into the nvidia control panel and make physx run off the processor....... ( should have listed rest of your hardware ). then I would systematically lower or turn off certain settings until I found out what the problem is........ in the games control panel........ work on the tessellation settings and others. don't have the game loaded anymore so I can't give more suggestions.

and I have to say it......... video cards with 1gig of ram are becoming more and more useless at resolutions above 1600. 2 - 1gig cards in sli still only provide 1gig of video ram.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
First, check nVidia control panel - what device is selected for PhysX?

Second, what drivers are you running? I suggest the latest beta 290.53.

Your motion blur problem is weird... I have it enabled with just one 560 Ti and it really doesn't care, maybe drops 2-5 fps but that is all.

I just finished playing Metro 2033 on twin 560's about a month ago .... They were Asus TOP models, running at 1020 Mhz (CPU at 4.8Ghz) on 1 20 Mhz minitor....that's Son No. 3's box ..... play throughout was smooth, I never stopped to measure fps but at max settings, I played end to end w/ narry a hitch......it was a result of that experience that I dropped the settings down to 4.6 GHz on the CPU and 980 on the twin 560's .... the box just didn't need it so I backed it off to run a bit cooler. Also played it for comparison's sake on Son No. 2's 580 (default settings for they 580, never looked to see that they were) ..... the 580 ran into a hiccup or two but was more than satisfactory 99.9 % of the time.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

That can be a difference between life and death, actually :) V-Sync is known to kill framerates in certain games. I disable it wherever I can.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Okay guys... thanks for all your help so far...

Turns out i found out the problem with both metro and bf3...

With metro the problems is as i suspected, physics, i disabled advanced physicX and it now runs smoothly, but that is still a problem to me, when i bought these two 560's ti i could have bought 2 6950 instead, two of those are bit more powerful than two 560's Ti's and as far as i know, but two 560 ti's already give me everything i need to run whatever i want on max at 1080p, or so i think, so i got them for the PhysicX and now running PhysicX is turning out to be a problem... I already tried to set PhysicX as automatic, gpu1, gpu 2 and even set the gpu 2 as a dedicated physicX card on Nvidia control panel and no luck so far...

My drivers are the latest beta version 290.53 (or at least i think they are a beta version)... I believe this must be a physicX drivers problem... I have PhysicX System Software 9.11.1107 instaled...

Now with BF3 the problem is with the ambient occlusion and not motion blur, while poking with the settings i disabled it at the same time i disabled motion blur and forgot it, so when i got it to run smoothly i though it was motion blur but now after enable it again with HBAO i started having low fps again... but i don't know if the problem is that setting being too demanding or if the problem is that setting making the game require more than 1GB of vram... or anything else...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Do your fps match my GTX 480 at maximum settings in BF3?
38fps minimum /45average/ 60max v-synced
I am having trouble running it with HBAO enabled but with SSAO i am having an average around 60~70fps depending on the zone and the lowest i have seen it go was 46fps but i am not always looking at the fps so i believe than that is not the lowest value i got but i never have seen it lagging... So, i don't know how much demanding HBAO is but i believe these values will get lower...

My hardware can be seen on my profile, just click on "more information" under my avatar and then click on "member configuration"...
Also... i already tried to set physicX to run on both gpus, i also tried to set it to automatic and even tried to set the second graphics card as a dedicated physicX card...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I use HBAO and 4xmsaa on ultra with the fps i posted.

Do you know if HBAO increases vram usage significantly ? Because i suspect i am running out of vram...
I am going to check the AA settings it is using...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I use upto 1500mb in Kharg island (large map)

Okay... so i enabled HBAO and it's running without problems now and i didn't do anything else, it just went away, maybe it was some background process, i simply don't have a clue... the AA is also set to MSAAx4
Anyway, i haven't had much time to come up with a precise fps average but comparing to the zone were i was before enabling HBAO i didn't noticed any considerable fps drop, but to make this comparison more precise i should warn you that i am only using BF3 to test these cards and i am not playing it, im am still on the first level were we get ambushed, and the 48fps i got as a minimum were when two guys on a balcony started firing rpg's at me exploding a lot of cars... But that can't be the most demanding part in the game...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
My fps are taken from multiplayer in a 64man battle.
Singleplayer i get a minimum of around 45fps.

well.. i guess your 1.5GB of vram vs my 1GB is making a difference... but i certainly wasn't expecting such a small margin between one GTX480 and two GTX560 ti's...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
My 480 does beat stock GTX 580's as it is overclocked very highly on custom air cooling.
Plus my PC is dedicated to gaming, so i run nothing in the background.

Wow... i imagine your temps and consumption must be very high, a 480 has almost the exact same performance of a 570 last time i checked but the 570 runs much cooler, has lower consumptions and it's much quieter and it needs a great OC to come near a 580, so i can only imagine what have you done with your 480... have you posted any benchs yet? I bet some guys would love to see that...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

No, i did not selected the cpu (if that is what you mean by processor)... but i believe that with the cpu it will lag like hell but if you want it i can try it...

WOW, look at that e-penis... LOL................ anyways, yes, I have in the past made the cpu run the physx and it has help depending on the other hardware and situations. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't want you to try it.

I will also say that I tried to get that game to run on a 560 to no avail. just ran like crap. whether it was a bad card or what i can't remember any more. I know i had to mess with the game settings a lot.

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

I am not having problems with any settings except physicX and if 2x384 cuda cores aren't enough for metro than i don't know what's enough... clearly something is wrong with my game, or my drivers... i am going to reinstall my OS tomorrow and try again...

Yes.... my refresh rate is 60hz...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
This was a benchmark of crysis at very high and 4xAA with my GTX 480 only at 800 core...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=337376&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txow-I55QXw
Is your 480 a evga sc?
Anyway, in that video it's hard to make a decent comparison because the videos are not synced but it seems that the 580 manages to stay ahead by a significant margin, but with your actual OC and without the 580 OC i believe your 480 will definitely keep up with a 580, with a 1000w psu i would consider sli in you case, you would be set for years and i don't think that a 2500k at 4.5Ghz would bottleneck them... though i wouldn't keep the oc in case you decide to get another 480, or at least not that high... but i guess you would need to change that cooler since it's almost taking three slots...

CryptorX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Not yet... but i think that if it is a problem with any of the cards i would have had problem with other games and in Mafia2, Skyrim, Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 i haven't any problems...

Really? So they are not both Fermi's then?