Solved

Using old computer to set up new SSD?

I've recently bought parts to build a new computer and since I ordered some parts from different places I am waiting on the rest to get to me. I have my SSD and a new copy of windows though and was wondering if there would be any problems/complications to using my old computer to connect my SSD and install windows on it and download a game that I'm planning on playing (BF3). I just want to be able to play BF3 as soon as I'm done setting up my new computer instead of waiting an extra day to download it. I don't have a physical copy of it.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about using computer
  1. Legally, I don't think there is a problem. However, during the installation Windows will examine your hardware and install drivers specific to that hardware(motherboard, CPU, etc). So I would NOT recommend doing it that way unless your old computer has the same motherboard & processor.
  2. Would the new hardware not be recognized when the SSD is installed with the new components?
  3. If your copy of W7 is an OEM version (as most are) it will become a non-reusable part of the first computer it is installed on. So, I suggest you contain your enthusiasm unless you want to buy a second W7 license.
  4. ram1009 said:
    If your copy of W7 is an OEM version (as most are) it will become a non-reusable part of the first computer it is installed on. So, I suggest you contain your enthusiasm unless you want to buy a second W7 license.

Lol, gotcha.
  5. Best answer
    @ GentilexSan - Your first reason was excellent, However the OEM lic is not tied to the system until it is activated. So You could use system A (if it used the same drivers) to do the install and NOT activate. Then Transfer to system B and activate. The lic is then tied to system B.
  6. gentilexsan said:
    Would the new hardware not be recognized when the SSD is installed with the new components?

More than likely, you would get a blue screen on first boot up, then you would need to do a repair install to get the correct drivers and such.
  7. Best answer selected by gentilexsan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt SSD Computer Systems