Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using old computer to set up new SSD?

Last response: in Systems
February 24, 2012 3:12:26 PM

I've recently bought parts to build a new computer and since I ordered some parts from different places I am waiting on the rest to get to me. I have my SSD and a new copy of windows though and was wondering if there would be any problems/complications to using my old computer to connect my SSD and install windows on it and download a game that I'm planning on playing (BF3). I just want to be able to play BF3 as soon as I'm done setting up my new computer instead of waiting an extra day to download it. I don't have a physical copy of it.

More about : computer set ssd

a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 3:30:34 PM

Legally, I don't think there is a problem. However, during the installation Windows will examine your hardware and install drivers specific to that hardware(motherboard, CPU, etc). So I would NOT recommend doing it that way unless your old computer has the same motherboard & processor.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:40:16 PM

Would the new hardware not be recognized when the SSD is installed with the new components?
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 3:43:15 PM

If your copy of W7 is an OEM version (as most are) it will become a non-reusable part of the first computer it is installed on. So, I suggest you contain your enthusiasm unless you want to buy a second W7 license.
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:00:02 PM

ram1009 said:
If your copy of W7 is an OEM version (as most are) it will become a non-reusable part of the first computer it is installed on. So, I suggest you contain your enthusiasm unless you want to buy a second W7 license.

Lol, gotcha.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 4:36:56 PM

@ GentilexSan - Your first reason was excellent, However the OEM lic is not tied to the system until it is activated. So You could use system A (if it used the same drivers) to do the install and NOT activate. Then Transfer to system B and activate. The lic is then tied to system B.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2012 4:47:09 PM

gentilexsan said:
Would the new hardware not be recognized when the SSD is installed with the new components?

More than likely, you would get a blue screen on first boot up, then you would need to do a repair install to get the correct drivers and such.
m
l
March 2, 2012 12:09:17 AM

Best answer selected by gentilexsan.
m
l
!