Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to make my PC better for gaming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 25, 2011 9:16:09 PM

My PC specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50 GHz (4CPUs), ~2.5 GHz
Graphics card: ATI Radeon 4200/4500 series with 244 MB memory
Memory: 8192 RAM

I know the ATI 4300/4500 series are pretty bad for gaming, but would my computer be able to handle a better video card without overheating? Are there other things I need, like more RAM?

More about : make gaming

a c 291 U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 9:53:58 PM

You got more than enough RAM.

For the graphics card, it shouldn't overheat, but if it can handle the newer card, depends on your Power Supply Unit (aka PSU).

Could you post it's full specifications (not just total wattage), or maybe it's model?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 10:11:03 PM

CPU and RAM look good. I have to ask though, is it DDR2 or DDR3? I don't remember any mobos with C2Q and DDR3, but it's better to clarify. While we're at it, motherboard make and model?

Also, please list make and model of the PSU, like it was suggested by Sunius.

Your graphics card appears to be the weakest spot right here. Everything else looks quite good. What kind of case do you have? That will decide on the overheating possibility. If it's a cheap crappy case, cooling isn't so good, so you will have to upgrade in order to get a better card. Case upgrade is worth it, though, a good case can easily last you through multiple builds.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 11:07:42 PM

Sunius said:
You got more than enough RAM.

For the graphics card, it shouldn't overheat, but if it can handle the newer card, depends on your Power Supply Unit (aka PSU).

Could you post it's full specifications (not just total wattage), or maybe it's model?

Oops, forgot to say 8192MB RAM

The model is HP Pavilion p6267c: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:28:20 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
CPU and RAM look good. I have to ask though, is it DDR2 or DDR3? I don't remember any mobos with C2Q and DDR3, but it's better to clarify. While we're at it, motherboard make and model?

Also, please list make and model of the PSU, like it was suggested by Sunius.

Your graphics card appears to be the weakest spot right here. Everything else looks quite good. What kind of case do you have? That will decide on the overheating possibility. If it's a cheap crappy case, cooling isn't so good, so you will have to upgrade in order to get a better card. Case upgrade is worth it, though, a good case can easily last you through multiple builds.

DDR2. It's an Asus, here's a full list of all the specs: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

I'm worried that my computer won't be able to handle a new graphics card, the case is the one that came with the computer. "Mid-size ATX"

Also, I have no idea what PSU this has, I know it's 300 watts but that's about it. Do I have to take my computer apart to figure that out?
m
l
January 1, 2012 11:39:10 PM

You can just open up the side panel and read the label on the PSU...that shouldn't be too much work even with an HP case. I use to have the same case...there is a thumb screw in the back and the side pannel slides strait back and off.

I'm definitly no expert, but even for the lower or mid-range cards you usually need more of a power supply.
When I upgraded to a Geforce9800gt (which is a pretty cheap card), I needed a new PSU.

also, being that you have a factory case...make sure that the video card will actually fit in your case
m
l
April 28, 2013 12:50:42 AM

I'd get a i5 3570. Get the k series only if your gona overclock. 8GB ram will be enough. A GTX 650 ti or a GTX 650 ti will be good.
For games it all depends on the CPU,GPU and the ram.

Oh and also a 1TB hardrive will be good
m
l
April 28, 2013 12:51:49 AM

I meant GTX 650 ti or GTX 660 ti
m
l
April 28, 2013 12:54:08 AM

300w isn't enough, you'll need a 450w but I'm no expert
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
April 28, 2013 12:58:06 AM

You can "get away" with a 7750 on 300w but I highly recommend upgrading the PSU.
m
l
!