Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Connected to Surround Sound - Quality Sucks?

Last response: in Components
June 12, 2012 1:00:43 AM

Currently, I have my PC connected to my 21" LCD tv via HDMI cord. This tv is connected to my full surround sound system. The sound is very bad quality when doing anything like listening to music. I think it is my setup: I have PC connected to tv with HDMI, the only audio output from my tv is headphones so I have a headphone jack split into the red and white av cords. These cords connect to the red/white input on my surround sound system. I sure this is why there is bad sound quality. How to make it better? Im guessing I need direct input from my pc to speakers. How would I do this? Thanks
June 12, 2012 9:53:44 AM

If you are using it for gaming, it is better to connect your surround sound directly to the 6 channels of motherboard. If your surround sound system have 3.5mm audio input jacks (where the headphone jack go), then it should come with 3 cable connectors that you should plug to 3 audio channel ports in your motherboard ( center/sub, front l/r & rear l/r ).

If your speaker's input jack is only the AV cord type, then you should have at least 3 of the headphone jack split into the red and white av cords. The headphone jacks goes to the motherboard while the av cords go to your speaker.

To clarify, what is your surround system & what is your motherboard brand & model?

m
l
June 12, 2012 10:37:57 AM

randomkid said:
If you are using it for gaming, it is better to connect your surround sound directly to the 6 channels of motherboard. If your surround sound system have 3.5mm audio input jacks (where the headphone jack go), then it should come with 3 cable connectors that you should plug to 3 audio channel ports in your motherboard ( center/sub, front l/r & rear l/r ).

If your speaker's input jack is only the AV cord type, then you should have at least 3 of the headphone jack split into the red and white av cords. The headphone jacks goes to the motherboard while the av cords go to your speaker.

To clarify, what is your surround system & what is your motherboard brand & model?

Not sure my actual motherboard. it is stock that came woth my Acer Aspire T180. I know for a fact it has those 3 colored plugins: blue, grern, pink. My surround sound has a digital optical input so would it be best to buy a sound card for my pc with a optical output? Thanks
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 10:43:34 AM

I thought your sound system comes with AV input?
wagstuff13 said:
Currently, I have my PC connected to my 21" LCD tv via HDMI cord. This tv is connected to my full surround sound system. The sound is very bad quality when doing anything like listening to music. I think it is my setup: I have PC connected to tv with HDMI, the only audio output from my tv is headphones so I have a headphone jack split into the red and white av cords. These cords connect to the red/white input on my surround sound system. I sure this is why there is bad sound quality. How to make it better? Im guessing I need direct input from my pc to speakers. How would I do this? Thanks

Instead of connecting the headphone jack from the tv output, connect it to the green plug in & see if the sound improves ( but of course it will be only left & right ).
m
l
June 12, 2012 11:48:12 AM

wagstuff13 said:

the issue is your connection from TV to receiver. if your mobo does not have an optical out, your best bet would be to get a sound card with one and run the sound directly to the receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
June 12, 2012 1:06:23 PM

ct1615 said:
the issue is your connection from TV to receiver. if your mobo does not have an optical out, your best bet would be to get a sound card with one and run the sound directly to the receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes I believe my only option is to get a sound card with optical output. The only audio input with 5.1 on my surround sound is Optical in. (Sorry i just realized this) However the sound card you gave me the link for was for newegg.com and since I am Canadian, I can not find it on newegg.ca. What is your suggestion for me to get a cheap optical sound card? I can shop on either ebay, or newegg, or anything else with a cheap price. Thanks
m
l
June 12, 2012 3:22:49 PM

It is my understanding that NCIX.com is sort of the Canadian Newegg. Just checked their sound cards and I think this is the same one that was suggested to you :
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=56330&vpn=XONAR%20DG&manu... , and from my limited knowledge of PC audio this should do just fine for what you are looking for (I am currently studying the subject myself).
m
l
June 12, 2012 3:40:54 PM

The only audio input with 5.1 on my surround sound is Optical in. (Sorry i just realized this) However the sound card you gave me the link for was for newegg.com and since I am Canadian, I can not find it on newegg.ca.
m
l
June 12, 2012 3:55:20 PM

wagstuff13 said:
Yes I believe my only option is to get a sound card with optical output. The only audio input with 5.1 on my surround sound is Optical in. (Sorry i just realized this) However the sound card you gave me the link for was for newegg.com and since I am Canadian, I can not find it on newegg.ca. What is your suggestion for me to get a cheap optical sound card? I can shop on either ebay, or newegg, or anything else with a cheap price. Thanks

$18 after rebate on tigerdirect.ca

nightshift also linked the ncix site with the same card

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
m
l
June 12, 2012 5:50:27 PM

Well, it sounds like you are going HDMI to the TV, then using the headphone out from the TV to the receiver. Because TV's have HORRID conversions from digital to analog, you are going to take a corresponding quality hit.

What inputs do you have on the surround system?
m
l
June 13, 2012 12:13:05 AM

ct1615 said:
it will do the job

OK. I will buy this card then. When I get it what do I need to do? Just plug it in and install the drivers? Or do I have to disable some onboard audio or something. I heard someone talking about this. Thanks
m
l

Best solution

June 13, 2012 12:20:41 AM

go into your BIOS and disable onboard audio. usually for music & video playback you won't have an issue. some games may have an issue. I know WoW has a bug with creative sounds cards (pretty sure that rocketfish is a re-branded creative) and on-board mobo audio being on. even if you don't disable the on-board audio its not likely you will see any issue, its more of a "might as well do it" thing.

install the card
win7 will most likely install the drivers for you
you can install any other software from the driver CD you want

with win xp, just install the drivers after you boot up
June 13, 2012 12:28:58 AM

Best answer selected by wagstuff13.
m
l
!