Moving Preinstalled Programs from Old to New PC

jmeuphonium

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi all, my uncle bought a new Dell and asked me to if I would set it up and move all his old stuff to his new pc. He was using a Dell running Windows 2000. I got all of his files transferred and updated his Microsoft Works files to current Office formats (ugh). I got him to start using Google calendar (and gmail) and move away from Works calendar and his isp email address. The last problem I'm having is his new Dell only came with Office Starter, which is basic versions of Word and Excel. Both of those are fine for his needs, but he's getting pissed because he gets a lot of PowerPoint slideshows as funny emails. Is there any way to move the versions of Office on his old Dell, that I assume came with his old pc, to his new Dell without having any install disks or authentication codes? He really doesn't want to buy Office and I'm hesitant to install Libreoffice or Openoffice because he's old and has plenty of problems already learning new stuff.

Thanks!!!

(Sorry if this is a dumb question(s))

The powerpoint viewer is a decent way to address his problem.

That being said, LibreOffice and OpenOffice aren't that hard to use. They have both come included at times with my Ubuntu install and they are almost the same thing as regular Office.

Even someone getting up there in age should be able to pick them up if they have any sort of skill with computers at all.

TRENDING THREADS