My computer is burning up and i dont know why.

Solution

I would go with a Hyper 212 + or EVO. Those affordable air-coolers perform on par with mid-range liquid cooling kits costing over twice as much.

pizzaboyruben

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
no overclocking at all. right now i have a house fan blowing on the side. i took the side off. it is hott in my house but now wherre near 80C lol its night time now so its cooled down but computer is sitting at a steady 80C. i noticed the heat when i was trying to play some games and noticed they were running slow. didnt occur to me until i check my tempratures

if your using the intel heat sink or after market heat sink did you use the thermal paste that came with the heat sink. on most of the stock heat sinks have a piece of plastic over the thermal paste did you remove it if it had one?? also did you push the legs of the stock coolers down where they click?? if the cooler not down all the way it cant work.

on older system the thermal paste can dry out over time or the heat sink can come off.i would open the case and blow and dust out and see that the cpu fan is moving. if it moving fine turn the pc let it cool down then see if the heat sink as come lose over time.if not and your handy i would change the heat sink with a small metal round fan and a new thermal paste.

InvalidError

Titan
If you are still using the stock HSF, the plastic mounting frame and pins may have deformed over time and no longer be providing sufficient mounting force.

When my C2D E8400 started heating up about three years after I originally built my PC, I installed a Hyper 212+ (cheapest HSF with backplate mount my local PC store had in stock) and that solved the 80+C core temps on it.

Everyone I know who has ever had one of Intel's push-pin HSFs has run into high CPU temperatures about three years later and lots of people here have reported the same. It seems to be a systematic design flaw/feature of Intel's stock HSF.

pizzaboyruben

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
worst design ever to be honest. i checked them again took it all out then put them back in. seem to be getting 47C which isnt great but not bad. ill play around with some games and see how its running.

when i moved back home my mom basically dropped my computer from waist high to solid ground. shouldve broken it but it was a tank but it proly made one of them loose. they seem all very tight now thou

InvalidError

Titan

The 'wet' components in thermal paste play little to no role in heat transfer, it is the metal or carbon nanoparticles that provide the bulk of the heat transfer. Liquids/oils/greases are there mainly to turn the solid nanoparticles into a colloidal paste to make them more practical for field application.

The pre-applied paste on Intel HSF is almost completely dry off-the-bat, it is densely packed powder with only as much grease/whatever as required to make it machine-applicable and cohesive enough to stay put on the HSF during shipping and installation. If you try scraping it off even when fresh out of the box, it crumbles and is impossible to stick back on. This stuff would be impossible to squeeze out of a tube or syringe without superhuman strength.

As I said in my post above, the plastic mount and push-pins on Intel's stock HSFs deform over time. When this has progressed to the point of having insufficient mounting pressure, proper mounting is no longer sufficient. Changing the paste may work for a short time but high temperatures will come back. In my case, fresh paste helped for about two weeks and then I went for a 212+.

It's a guide for the plastic push pins.
intel_e8400_cpu_cooler_thumb.jpg

InvalidError

Titan

I would go with a Hyper 212 + or EVO. Those affordable air-coolers perform on par with mid-range liquid cooling kits costing over twice as much.

Solution